• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

I’m not sure I love “looping” which I saw pitched as a possible alternative term, but mainly because I feel that phrase is already loaded with baggage from other industries. Sort of implies it would just go around in circles.

Meandering feels weird too.

I dunno. I mean overall I think Justin can call it Xandering on his site but Jaquaysing was pretty spot on, even if he can’t use it in his book/chooses not to use it on his site.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’m not sure I love “looping” which I saw pitched as a possible alternative term, but mainly because I feel that phrase is already loaded with baggage from other industries. Sort of implies it would just go around in circles.

Meandering feels weird too.

I dunno. I mean overall I think Justin can call it Xandering on his site but Jaquaysing was pretty spot on, even if he can’t use it in his book/chooses not to use it on his site.
The trouble is, it’s unclear if Jennell only disliked that “Jaquaying” left out the s, or if she didn’t like having her name associated with it at all, and the misspelling just made it worse. Without knowing her stance on it - and being unlikely to get any clarification from her any time soon - I personally am hesitant to use her name for it at all.

I’m still partial to “thraciafying,” since it still honors her contribution to the art of dungeon design, and also clearly communicates “making a dungeon more like the Caverns of Thracia.”

Clint_L

Hero
The trouble is, it’s unclear if Jennell only disliked that “Jaquaying” left out the s, or if she didn’t like having her name associated with it at all, and the misspelling just made it worse. Without knowing her stance on it - and being unlikely to get any clarification from her any time soon - I personally am hesitant to use her name for it at all.

I’m still partial to “thraciafying,” since it still honors her contribution to the art of dungeon design, and also clearly communicates “making a dungeon more like the Caverns of Thracia.”
If you’re not certain whether you have consent then you don’t have consent.

Just call it non-linear.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

This was my take as well as it looked like the S being absent may have been the issue (unless she has an objection to the concept itself)
Same. While I don't think I've seen a term I love as much as the original eponym (WITH spelling corrected), "Thraciafying" comes closer, even if it's a little awkward.

Same. While I don't think I've seen a term I love as much as the original eponym (WITH spelling corrected), "Thraciafying" comes closer, even if it's a little awkward.
I wasn’t endorsing thraciafying, just saying I think it is unclear if the objection is over the absence of the S or deeper (if the S, simply adding an S seems the least confusing way to go). I also doubt the term is going to drop from regular use as it has gained too much traction outside Justin’s blog

Remove ads