DDAL Jasper DMs Dungeon of the Mad Mage Spoilers Completed

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok, Rick did not use any player knowledge this time. And all my players were chilled out. Nox has some learning disabilities and is generally a murder hobo. Him coming up with a lie which allowed me to send the group to boss fight blew my mind.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dungeon of The Mad Mage Session 26
Shadowdusk Hold
Day 48
Season 9 4 hours played. Gain a level and 6,000 GP and 20 downtime days.
4 candy corn
PC Killed 13 Monster Killed 875 Villains Captured 14 Villains Escaped 28
Magic Item Unlocked Ioun Stone of Insight Table H, Black Crystal Tablet Table, Decanter of Endless Water Table C, Scroll of Flesh to Stone, Staff of power Table H, Potion of Supreme Healing, Potion of Invisibility
I had a very strong group of seven with average party level of eighteen. Joseph bard. Drew Sorcerer. Rich Wizard. The Shrouder rogue. Skye Monk rogue with his friend Taree a Triceratops. Bankshot warlock champion rogue. Aukan Barbarian.
Okay I started this campaign November 23,2018. It is now October 18, 2019. I missed some sessions and was not in town for others. You know the ink will rub off it you drop sticky stuff in the book and you wet your thumb to clean off.
Taree the dino was not happy being squeezed down a ten-foot corridor. The party in back was extremely not happy Skye had fed him twenty gallons of beans the night before. The front of the party arrive at the grand foyer where a few Grells are chilling out. They attack by the time Aukan is able to get over the dinosaur and into combat only two monsters are left. Aukan feelings were hurt because he only swung once. They search the west wing and find five Nothics talking about the art work in the hall. Rick asks NICELY (What have you done with Rick), where is the lady of the house. The Nothics say check the west wing and the NAGs want their cheese plates. Nothic Art Guild.
The adventures find Melissara in her bedroom reading “Halaster Hot pants in Hawaii Hot Tub” which is an old romance novel. Aukan tries to engage her in small talk. WHILE Joseph and Rick start searching her chest of drawers. (WHAT!) Melissara takes great exception to this and tries attack. She fails and dies. While Bankshot is hiding under the bed um searching under the bed, Aukan goes into Melissara spare bedroom and is attack by her husband Derrion. Joseph turns Aukan into a t-rex. Aukan eats Derrion and takes a bite out of Joseph. Meanwhile Skye kills a zombie that was trying to deliver a cheese plate to someone. This clears the level.
They descend to the second tier and hear the disembodied voices of five servants demanding who they are. Why are they here without calling ahead? What noble line are the from? Skye who can see invisible tells one of the will-o’-wisps he wants to mean the master of the house. The group is told to wait here. The group waits five minutes and then four lighting bolts hit various members of the party and a wall of force is thrown up blocking them from leaving the chamber. About ten Nothics and an archmage are charging the group. Joseph and Rick dimension door through wall of force and take care all the bothersome servants and lord. (oops mess up time stop here. I casted offensive spells. Also, since they agreed to wait, I threw the whole floor at them.)
Arriving at the third level Bankshot examines the floor and knows there is a blue dragon about. Shrouder discovers a secret door but nothing is the first room. He discovers another secret door down the hall and hears someone talking in riddles. He charges in!
Seeing a death knight and six wraiths he changes course and charges for the north exit. Various evil goody good radiant spells one hellish orb later Dezmyr Shadowdusk is a dead death knight.
One short rest later they explore the west wing. So, they choose the west door or the north door. West door. West door. Shrouder who is invisible throw open the door and dodges to the right. ADULT BLUE DRAOCLICH.
Bankshot, “Did the dm say DRAOCLICH?”
Half the party charges. Shrouder still invisible charges south door of the draoclich chamber in search for treasure. Bankshot, Drew and Tarre stay behind. Joseph turns into an ADULT BRASS DRAGON. (and the player runs to his car for his dragon mini.)
Suddenly the north door opens and a Grick Alpha attack the dinosaur. The archmage Cassiok giggles as he walks out the door.
Cassiok “GOBLINS LIKE BIG BOOM STICK!” And breaks his staff of power over his knee getting everyone but Rick and Shrouder.
(Players. “That not what happen.” DM, “It is! It in my preplanned notes. “Players, “You forgot to write those down.” DM, “I need to take and PRINT out my preplanning notes.” Where was I.)
Suddenly the north door opens and a Grick Alpha attack the dinosaur. The archmage Cassiok (What. Ok which one those evil players looked up Time Stop.) Ok. Cassiok casts a spell. (HEY DM HE HAS A STAFF of Power).
Ok, Party kicks the Dragon Lich. The Archmage. And the minions. I skip the east wing due to time and even if I doubled the numbers, it would been a walk.
NEXT WEEK The Final level. All spells out going to you will do max damage. Why? Because Halaster (THE DM) cheats. The T-shirts are made. All eight of them. The costume is bought. We start on time and go to closing or the end.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok, I had a few setup problems. I should be currently helping out with my wife's art show and sell. She had half pack the car Friday afternoon. So I was stuck just using by army backpack for my game gear. However, they cancelled the show due to the weather.

jasper

Rotten DM
Dungeon of The Mad Mage Session 27
Halaster Hold
Pizza time
Day 49
5 hours played. Gain a level and GP 2615 and 20 downtime days.
45candy corn
PC Killed 14 Monster Killed 931 Villains Captured 14 Villains Escaped 28 K/D ratio 66.5 to 1.
Magic Items Instrument of the Bards Anstruth Harp Table H, +3 shield, Shield of Uven Rune story item, Wand of Wonder Table G, Pistol TP 2, Rod of Lordly Might Table I

I had a very very strong group of 9. 7 players and their add on. Rick Wizard 18th with simulacrum, mind blank and staff of magi. Drew sorcerer 18th staff of power, staff of magi, wand of fireballs. The Shrouder Rogue 20th Bracers of archery, ring of invisible, +1 long bow. Skye Rogue 20 robe of eyes, with pet triceratops named Tarre. Bankshot Warlock 13th, Champion 4, rogue 2. Trident of warning, Sharpshooter. Aukan 18th barbarian. Baulder Cleric 1st Wizard 18th.
I was pushing the group with a 30 second sand timer and a 10 count to speed play. I had drawn some of rooms on the battle board. And I brought out props. After the player signed in, they got a paper bag which they had to keep close till I said so.
The group teleports into the final level. Living unseen servants are there with 9 battle tubs with essential oils and BATH BOMBS? Everyone dies and we go home. No. I gave out bath bombs as a prop. Silly yes. But this is a silly dungeon.
Aukan runs through the secret door to a library which has gravity reversed and bumps his head on the floor. They loot the room and return to the bath room.
They zigzag and find and fight some helmed horrors. Then they find the head. Um the room of heads. Over 100 heads are in glass jars and the pcs appearance have changed. (Okay I think half the table go I was describing Futurama.) Rick would discover the heads he got died. They find a mining cart cover with a domed wall of force and leave alone.
In the next room they discover and disable some lighting bolt traps. Shrouder and Rick discover a magic shield with abjuration magic on it. Rick identifies it as a PIT FIEND.
Moving west they discover a teleportation room. They answer the question and 7 of them get teleported. (Ok I was NICE and let the dino and simulacrum get teleported the next round.)
Moving west they are ambushed by multiple flameskulls which cut loose with fireballs. Multiple counterspells go off and four fireballs explode on the party. This drops Bankshot. While Baulder is healing him, the party finishes off the flameskulls. They explore the north room and Skye finds a nice shield of Tyr. They decide to explore the west section of the dungeon. (Note rooms 11,12, and 13 will never be explored.)
They find PETER RABBIT. (Okay why that joke did not occur to me on Friday.) Ahem. They a guy with a Rabbits head which had been placed their due to transformation magic. (Note this is the first floor which gives the school of magic upfront instead of me having to dig out the spell which changed someone.) Peter tells them a bad spell caster is to the south at the double doors. Out come the swords and the group dashes south casting some spells before the door is open. (Skipping rooms 15 and 16.)
The barbarian opens the door to see. (WHAT you just want to know where the targets are?) Fireballs and other spells go off on the Lich and armored fighters. (And the couch mimic. And the lamp mimic. And the footstool mimic. And the dm notes did not mention the mimics.) Skye’s Tyr shield turns into a Deva and attacks the Lich.) Three and half round later after only the mimics are left, the Deva turns on Rick to renounce his evil ways. Two rounds after that deva and mimics are dead.
They explore south and trip the bouncing castle hallway. Some of them slide down into the Prismatic spray trap room. Skye and Shrouder are teleported to Halaster’s tower. The others continue to explore the dungeon. (Yes, the DM moved stuff). The main party finds the helm of Scavenger that mind flayer ship from a few levels ago. A few monsters which were walkovers so skipped. And a +3 shield and are teleported to Halaster’s tower. (I did kill off the dino during one of the combats the main party did fight).
Meanwhile Skye and Shrouder explore the first level of the tower. Just as the main party teleports in, they see Shrouder one shot a Demi Lich.
On the second level they find a sentinel wand of wonder. (Charisma save. On a fail the wand thinks for itself. This messed with the party later.) A room with the story item in it. A room of 14 frames. Seven frames have Halaster’s former apprentices. Seven frames have the names of the current party members. They also find a Scrying room where various frames overlook parts of Waterdeep.
They climb the staircase once again.
They hear a warning from a nice lady in their heads. “Halaster is in the next room.” Some of them charge.
Ok initiative was not always followed and I was monologuing and Halaster was offering job positions all during the combat. I think combat took about 45 minutes.
Halaster offers the party apprenticeship. Shrouder, Baulder and Aukan took him up on the offer. Their prize. A handmade t-shirt. I have pictures. An Empyrean is the final muscle. Skye charges and attack, some people stay in the room. The wand of wonder helps Halaster. Halaster blocks up the room the heroes are staying in. Skye attacks the muscle and then Halaster.
Halaster fingers of death Skye. Halaster, “Hey why are my new apprentices whispering in the corner. WHISPER LOUNDER”. Skye dies. Rick pass walls into the room and is polymorph into a plantar. Rick is beating up and nearly dies before Drew is able to gate in a big ally. The Skye zombie with boots of jumping jumps up and bites Rick plantar. Rick was repeatedly stunned by the muscle. (Some discussion on since Rick was the only target would the stun stack or something to affect.)
Baulder wanders over to the throne where he knows Halaster is seating. “Boss man. Antimagic shield”
Halaster, “Boy That is Antimagic field!” And sees that he can be seen.
Aukan ‘Big HUGS!” Grapples Halaster and starts beating Halaster.
The big ally takes out the muscle. The Big Ally then helps take out Halaster. (Hmm reviewing the Antimagic Field the death affect may not have worked but too late now.)
Halaster is dead.
“Destruction count down has begun. You have five minutes to loot and scoot. Destruction count down has begun. Well no. “And well laid teleportation targets the group. Rick, Aukan, and I don’t remember who else failed. They are teleported into the Waterdeep Jail. Rick is discovered and put and chains and run out town on a fully pillow and in a bad shirt. The others get to safety.
10 days later Drew, Bankshot, and Rick are delivered a pizza and a t-shirt. Skye is totally dead unless a wish is used to bring him back. He got turned into a zombie and then killed.
Let the commenting begin.

jasper

Rotten DM
here are some pics I hope
20191025_225141.jpg
20191025_225438.jpg

Remove ads