D&D General Jasper's annual I spend HOW much on D&D 2022

delericho

Legend
I don't keep track, and don't have a specific budget - if someone produces something I want enough, I'll get it.

But the numbers have been dropping for years, and they've dropped again. For D&D, specifically, I probably spent all of $20 (the new Starter Set). Third party, add the "Tome of Beasts 3" and "Dungeon Delver's Guide" Kickstarters at PDF-only level. Maybe one or two other things.

In 2023, I'd expect less again. I'm intrigued by the "Phandelver Campaign", but will probably end up skipping it, and it's looking like that's it for this year. 2024 was looking like a much bigger year, for obvious reasons, but that's looking less and less likely all the time.

Stormonu

Legend
My goal is by 2024, I won’t be buying any more D&D stuff, and much less gaming stuff overall. I have waaay too much as it is now, and get to use it less and less often.

jasper

Rotten DM
$1,752 for 2022.

Less than in years past, mainly because I'm no longer buying terrain, minis, or other physical game aids. Also, I'm trying to only buy things that I know I will play, though there were still a few too-cool-must-have impulse purchases on Kickstarter. A recent decision to just get everything on D&D Beyond increased my spend by $414. I bought almost none of the adventures on DDB until this year. Normally I spend $55 on the master tier subscription and buy the occasional book. Anyway, my 2022 breakdown is:

$55 on annual DDB Master subscription
$554 on DDB materials. Most of this is because I finally paid $414 to just buy everything I didn't already own.
$140 for annual world-builder subscription to Forge-VTT
$53 on various VTT assets
$123 on Patreon subscriptions, all VTT content/software developers (Foundry, Moulinette, MrPrimate)
$361 on Kickstarter (Flee Mortals! MCDM Monster Book; Original Adventures Reincarnated #7: Dark Tower by Goodman Games; Asian Monsters for DnD by Legendary Games; Book of Riddles Complete for Role Playing Games by DenisS; and Board Game D20 Delving by Wizard Tower Games
$44 on Indiegogo: Deities of the Lost Lands: Gods of the Empire by Frog God Games
$75 on Backerkit Crowdfunding: Crimson Terrain by Anthony Qualkinbush
$347 to WotC for Shadow of the Dragon Queen Deluxe Edition Bundle

I'm not including gifts, especially since these were D&D themed board games (D&D Trivia Pursuit and D&D Clue), not TTRPGs, so out of the scope of this thread.
It up to you to include it. I keep a spreadsheet on my work and home PC and just add a line item as I spend it. This is just a nice are you award of your spending habits. And to encourage everyone to see where there money goes. Not necessarily the big stuff but the $2 to $20 items you would not think of.

Clint_L

Hero
I collect and paint miniatures and terrain pretty heavily. I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but on D&D-related merchandise in 2022 I spent at least:

Dwarven Forge $2400
Dungeons and Lasers Encounters KS $150
Reaper KS $500
Cthulhu KS $150
Galladoria Games KS $200
Tiny Furniture KS + shop $175
Forged KS $100
Various Wizkids miniatures and terrain: $400
Miniatures from Troll&Toad, Ebay: $150
Various accessories roughly $200
Critical Role shop $150
DnDBeyond subscription $85
Call of the Netherdeep and Monsters of the Multiverse: $70

Which means that Hasbro got roughly 3% of my D&D money. So they might have a point about poorly monetizing the brand.

mamba

Legend
Which means that Hasbro got roughly 3% of my D&D money. So they might have a point about poorly monetizing the brand.
ands suggest they should start making miniatures and terrain ;) Guess they hope they can move you onto their VTT and you spend like that there

Clint_L

Hero
Even though I spent a lot of money, I suspect the margins on things like miniatures and terrain are way too low to be worth much effort on the part of a behemoth like Hasbro. Especially terrain - it's a niche, and Dwarven Forge fills it nicely, plus a few other companies.

I'll try out the VTT if it's easy and cheap because I do play online sometimes. But I am never giving up on physical miniatures and terrain. It scratches an itch, and I am heavily invested in money and effort. And I love painting my own stuff, so I don't see the VTT being nearly as rewarding.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I did the very rough math. $933.09 - mostly on minis and supplies for making my own terrain - but also on some kickstarters and books and other accessories.

pogre

Legend
I don't budget. If I like it enough I buy it. When I looked at the hardcover list from WOTC from last year I was honestly surprised I did not purchase any of them. However, miniatures, terrain, paints, etc. I often throw down a fair amount of cash on those. Most of the things I buy I use for a lot of different games, not just D&D. So WOTC did not make much off me last year.

I buy a lot of 3rd party stuff. Lately, Goodman Games has been getting a lot of my coin.

The weird thing is I also run an online game and I am cheap when it comes to that. Folks like @Steel_Wind and @MNblockhead who spend their money on online tools - that makes total sense - that's where their gaming time is these days. For me, probably a third of my time is online gaming and yet I barely spend a dime on it. Not entirely sure why. Part of it is I'm a miserable old coot who hates subscriptions.

jasper

Rotten DM
Finally remember to add this.
In 2022 I ran 58 sessions.
Witchlight PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 31 Capture 2 Escaped 2
Finished Season 2 modules 4-180-3-21
Call of the Netherdeep 0-96-1-11
Radient Citadel 1-100-20-16
Spelljammer Academy and Light of Zarysis 2-87-10-7
Finished Chapter 2 and 3 of Dragonlance.
One Epic
So 3 books Start to Finish. 1 Book Finished from previous year. 1 Book Started DL. 1 Season Complete.

Remove ads