D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darjr

I crit!
What are the 2024 Fifth Edition Core Rulebooks? | D&D via @YouTube

From the latest Community Update.
Hey @darjr this may be relevant to the OP:

"As we continue playtesting and discussing materials for the upcoming Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual, and even release updates on the D&D Virtual Tabletop and evolving D&D Beyond toolset, it's important to clarify the language we use around these projects. One D&D is the overarching initiative shaping the future of the game. The updated fifth edition rulebooks, VTT, and D&D Beyond updates are housed under this initiative. When talking specifically about the revised fifth edition core rulebooks and their predecessors, we'll identify them by their year of publication. So, if we're talking about the barbarian class in the upcoming Player's Handbook, we'll refer to the book as the “2024 Player's Handbook.”"

"When the 2024 core rulebooks release, we'll drop the “2024” and simply refer to them by their title. (e.g., the 2024 Player's Handbook will just be the Player's Handbook). At that point, we will only clarify the publication date of the books when we're comparing the 2014 and 2024 versions, or simply referring back to the older version."

"We recognize that the term “One D&D” has caused confusion around the updated rulebooks. The 2024 core rulebooks aren't ushering in a new edition of the game; the books you enjoy today will be compatible with the updated core rulebooks, because it's all the same edition of D&D. If you're a casual reader, though, this may not have been clear with how we've used the One D&D term in the past. That said, we'll be updating the language we use here on D&D Beyond and elsewhere so as to eliminate confusion around our continuing support for fifth edition."

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Summary from Sly Flourish.

In this transcript the design team for Dungeons & Dragons discusses the upcoming 2024 Rulebooks. These books will be a continuation of the Fifth Edition of the game, which has been in use since 2014. The team's goal is to prepare the game for the next decade by incorporating new material, refining old material, and addressing issues identified by the community through the Unearthed Arcana process. This process involves experimenting with new rules and designs and soliciting feedback from players.

The team's focus is on the player's handbook, dungeon master's guide, and monster manual, which are the core rulebooks for the game. Their plan is to include all the best elements of the 2014 rulebooks, along with new and refined material, in the 2024 Rulebooks. They are currently in the process of playtesting different subclass progressions and exploring ways to make levels 1 and 2 more meaningful for each class.

The team is using the year designations to differentiate between different versions of the 5th edition rulebooks, with the 2014 versions being the original and the 2024 versions being the updated versions. They are also exploring different ways of writing the rules, including capitalization, to make the text more clear and reader-friendly.

Bullet points:

• The 2024 Rulebooks for D&D will be a continuation of the Fifth Edition of the game.
  • The design team's goal is to prepare the game for the next decade and incorporate new and refined material.
  • The Unearthed Arcana process involves experimenting with new rules and designs and soliciting feedback from players.
  • The focus is on the player's handbook, dungeon master's guide, and monster manual.
  • The team is using the year designations to differentiate between different versions of the rulebooks, and exploring different ways of writing the rules, including capitalization.

Im sure this go around on the topic will be as productive and well spirited as the last one lol.

As Ive said before, you can't do a video game model of updating continuously without deprecation. If you're not deprecating whats already there, you're not updating anything, you're making a new game and bolting it onto the old game.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
These books will be a continuation of the Fifth Edition of the game, which has been in use since 2014.

So, it's ...

5eC (5e Continued).

thinking....

I am fully confident that this will resolve any and all outstanding debates with grace and decorum!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
One more comment-

They are currently in the process of playtesting different subclass progressions and exploring ways to make levels 1 and 2 more meaningful for each class.

This, I'm not sure I'm buying for two reasons.

First, the lack of meaningfulness at levels 1 and 2 acted as an effective (albeit informal) break of multiclassing and "dips." You could certainly do it, but you had to commit resources to it.

Second, those levels go by so quickly that it really seems like a waste of time to try and make it meaningful. It reminds me of when AD&D tried to add level 0 characters .... why bother?

Pedantic

Legend
Going to call it 5e24 and 5e14. Maybe.
You know, that's pithy enough that I think it can work. I'll retract my earlier prediction that 5.5 will catch on, and instead accept we'll add a....4th? 5th? convention to our edition discussions, alongside .x, (A)dvanced, (e)ssentials and so on.

darjr

I crit!
You know, that's pithy enough that I think it can work. I'll retract my earlier prediction that 5.5 will catch on, and instead accept we'll add a....4th? 5th? convention to our edition discussions, alongside .x, (A)dvanced, (e)ssentials and so on.
It came from a poster in Mike Sheas discord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads