D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darjr

I crit!
One more comment-

They are currently in the process of playtesting different subclass progressions and exploring ways to make levels 1 and 2 more meaningful for each class.

This, I'm not sure I'm buying for two reasons.

First, the lack of meaningfulness at levels 1 and 2 acted as an effective (albeit informal) break of multiclassing and "dips." You could certainly do it, but you had to commit resources to it.

Second, those levels go by so quickly that it really seems like a waste of time to try and make it meaningful. It reminds me of when AD&D tried to add level 0 characters .... why bother?
newbies, as long as it comes with an appropriate intro adventure

Im sure this go around on the topic will be as productive and well spirited as the last one lol.

As Ive said before, you can't do a video game model of updating continuously without deprecation. If you're not deprecating whats already there, you're not updating anything, you're making a new game and bolting it onto the old game.
agreed. if the new druid is better balanced but we still have the option of the old druid that is not any different then putting out a shaman class and saying "that fixes the druid"
ALso as I pointed out in the spell thread, any class change will be only the new one supported. So going forward say goodbye to warlock 2014 (unless the 2024 bombs in the survey)

I guess I still don't understand why they just aren't adopting 5.5; they're basically doing the same thing they did with 3.5 except waiting four times as long to do it while obsoleting only a quarter of the amount of books.
because 3.5 caused a split and they don't understand that the split was different rules not a different name.
if they put out a 6e PHB with warrior mage scoundrel and priest in it that used the base idea of 5e but had the new classes, it would cause no more or less a split then the 2014/2024 split will (okay, maybe some, but a meaningless rounding error amount)

Sacrosanct

Legend
One more comment-

They are currently in the process of playtesting different subclass progressions and exploring ways to make levels 1 and 2 more meaningful for each class.

This, I'm not sure I'm buying for two reasons.

First, the lack of meaningfulness at levels 1 and 2 acted as an effective (albeit informal) break of multiclassing and "dips." You could certainly do it, but you had to commit resources to it.

Second, those levels go by so quickly that it really seems like a waste of time to try and make it meaningful. It reminds me of when AD&D tried to add level 0 characters .... why bother?
The whole point of the way level 1 and 2 are designed was to nod towards those who wanted zero to hero instead of starting out as a superhero. Apparently they are tossing that idea.

I actually did the math and while I knew I was exaggerating so I apologize. 3.0 only produced 51 official books in its two-and-a-half years; 5e will probably reach 40 after ten.

The ratio is closer to 2:1 though if we don't count adventures though
so 3.5 needed to be changed from 3e when about 50 options books came out, and 5e needs to be changed to (insert what ever you want to call it) after 40 options books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads