D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford Gives an Overview of the New Unearthed Arcana

The largest Unearthed Arcana ever, with 50 pages of playtest material!

The upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest packet for One D&D gets a preview from WotC's Jeremy Crawford. This is apparently the largest of these playtest packets so far, and the biggest Unearthed Arcana they have ever done, at 50 pages long.

It contains 5 classes, new spells, new feats, a revised rules glossary, and the new weapon mastery system.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have they?

I have not seen/heard them say "pre-2024 subclasses can be used with 2024 classes", and trying to follow the stakes of this discussion is a challenge because that seems a remarkably unrealistic expectation. It's not a fault of class design; it's an inevitable consequence, I would say.

Indeed, I've not seen them say anything that could not be construed as "a 2014-to-Tasha class/subclass combination can be played as part of the same party as a character made with the 2024 rules" (that's all "backwards compatibility" needs to mean). They have suggested guidelines will be provided for other adjustments, but these high-granularity critiques based on the first round of playtest material all seems premised on an expectation that I would say they have no intention of meeting.
Easy enough to have missed it, but ues, Crawford has said explicitly on multiple occasions, and it has been put in the actual playtest packet as an explicit design goal, that the new Class chassis in their final form will be able to use any existing 5E Subclass for that given Class. They have admitted it isn't fully there yet, as getting thst fully tuned is a final pass editing part of their internal playtest, but the idea is you can pick up SCAG or your 2014 PHB and pick any Subclass and go using the 2024 base Class.

Just a reminder that the survey is open until June 7th. Pretty sure that means it will end at midnight tonight.
Based on prior examples, like 5 or 6 AM PsT tomorrow.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Easy enough to have missed it, but ues, Crawford has said explicitly on multiple occasions, and it has been put in the actual playtest packet as an explicit design goal, that the new Class chassis in their final form will be able to use any existing 5E Subclass for that given Class. They have admitted it isn't fully there yet, as getting thst fully tuned is a final pass editing part of their internal playtest, but the idea is you can pick up SCAG or your 2014 PHB and pick any Subclass and go using the 2024 base Class.
I presume you're referring to text like this, from Druids and Paladins:
"If the older subclass offers features at levels that are different from the subclass levels in the class, follow the older subclass’s level progression after the class lets you gain the subclass. You might find an older subclass doesn’t fully work with the features in the playtest version of a class. If we publish the new version of the class, we’ll resolve that discrepancy."

Sentence one gives a rule of thumb (so that, e.g., a playtest cleric gets level 1 and 2 subclass abilities from a previous book at level 3).
Sentence two recognizes there will be problems and inconsistencies.

So is it all hanging on sentence three: "If we publish the new version of the class, we’ll resolve that discrepancy"? That's pretty vague, if so, and certainly not enough to justify the concern seen here.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No it's not.

Which are these "relevant rules"?
You kidding? No?

Good lord.

Read the playtest Bardic Inspiration, and then read the Eloquence College features.

The creature keeps the die. The die is used in a specific way in the playtest class feature, so the creature can use it in that way. 🤷‍♂️

It’s not rocket surgery, it literally just needs maybe 2 sentences added to the new revised feature before it goes to print to make stuff like this super clear.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Seriously? You actually need that explicitly spelled out what the PC can do with that die? What do you think a PC will do with a single die of bardic inspiration?

I mean, sure, let's clean up the verbiage and make things clear, but, this seems like being deliberately obtuse.
Oh, come on, I know you've seen plenty of rules debate threads online. Yes, in a game like D&D that tries to have rules for everything, they do need it explicitly spelled out or there will end up being dozens of ginormous and heated threads across multiple forums about that exact question.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I presume you're referring to text like this, from Druids and Paladins:
"If the older subclass offers features at levels that are different from the subclass levels in the class, follow the older subclass’s level progression after the class lets you gain the subclass. You might find an older subclass doesn’t fully work with the features in the playtest version of a class. If we publish the new version of the class, we’ll resolve that discrepancy."

Sentence one gives a rule of thumb (so that, e.g., a playtest cleric gets level 1 and 2 subclass abilities from a previous book at level 3).
Sentence two recognizes there will be problems and inconsistencies.

So is it all hanging on sentence three: "If we publish the new version of the class, we’ll resolve that discrepancy"? That's pretty vague, if so, and certainly not enough to justify the concern seen here.
Yes, that and Crawford's comments in recent interviews. Je was asked point blamk.about Cleric and Wizard losing several Subclassez between PHBs, and cited that it's not.a big concern as 2014 Subclasses will still work with the new chassis.

I have yet to see any major cause of concern.

Can the creatue use it the way the bard does? Giving it to another creature? It's not clear at all, there are tons of valid interpretations.
again my interpretation is the bard will have to choose to use a reaction to activate it (but not another die) based on them giving the bard the power to choose not the target, and it being called out as being the intent.

Hussar

Legend
Thank you everyone for clarifying. I had rather lost track.

So am I understanding this right? There is one bard subclass out of the ten or fifteen published subclasses that is potentially causing conflicts. That conflict can be resolved in a couple of clarifying sentences. Necessary but not particularly difficult. And this one inconsistency is proof that 2014 and 2024 DnD are incompatible?

Is that right?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Thank you everyone for clarifying. I had rather lost track.

So am I understanding this right? There is one bard subclass out of the ten or fifteen published subclasses that is potentially causing conflicts. That conflict can be resolved in a couple of clarifying sentences. Necessary but not particularly difficult. And this one inconsistency is proof that 2014 and 2024 DnD are incompatible?

Is that right?
That we know of so far.

Again, WotC is the company that brought us the Twilight Cleric and silvery barbs.

Remove ads

Remove ads