D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford Gives an Overview of the New Unearthed Arcana

The largest Unearthed Arcana ever, with 50 pages of playtest material!

The upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest packet for One D&D gets a preview from WotC's Jeremy Crawford. This is apparently the largest of these playtest packets so far, and the biggest Unearthed Arcana they have ever done, at 50 pages long.

It contains 5 classes, new spells, new feats, a revised rules glossary, and the new weapon mastery system.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That we know of so far.

Again, WotC is the company that brought us the Twilight Cleric and silvery barbs.

While fair, I will point out that the only class we have not seen is the Monk. If there are any other subclasses that are incompatible, it should be obvious by now. After all, we HAVE all but one of the classes to look at.

Granted, we can expect changes from the Warlock and Druid at a minimum, but we can still look and see with what we have.

Faolyn

(she/her)
And yet no one seems to claim that twilight clerics are incompatible with 5e are representative of a new edition.
So one subclass and one spell that are a bit overpowered out of how many?
And you're missing my point, which is...

They also produced True Strike and Knight of the Purple Dragon.
This, that WotC very often produces stuff that is not tuned well. Didn't they they were fixing the monsters so they'd actually fit their listed CRs? Haven't people talked for years about how badly done monks and rangers are?

While fair, I will point out that the only class we have not seen is the Monk. If there are any other subclasses that are incompatible, it should be obvious by now. After all, we HAVE all but one of the classes to look at.

Granted, we can expect changes from the Warlock and Druid at a minimum, but we can still look and see with what we have.
True, but, we don't have the final product, just the playtest. They may change things even more. There may be other rules that we haven't seen that don't jibe well.

Or I could be wrong and everything will work out fine. I'll find a hat and eat it if that happens, but it could happen.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What about the other classes? Let's run it down.

I think we've well established that the Bard, at most, needs 1 or 2 sentences added to the new revised BI feature.

I can't see any issue with Rogues.

Fighters should be fine.

Barbarians aren't that different, should be fine.

Paladin can ranged smite, possibly. Okay.

The Druid and Circle of The Moon are weirded a bit with a scaling statblock, but we may not even see that tried again.

Ranger seems fine other than losing some flavor and the Hunter subclass being pretty lame.

Warlock's Class features don't interact directly enough with the Patron to really impact mixing class and subclass back and forth. Long rest spellcasting doesn't impact any of the patrons, far as I can tell.

Does anyone remember if the Cleric had any potential issues.? Sorcerer?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Does anyone remember if the Cleric had any potential issues.? Sorcerer?
Sorcerer is totally fine.

Cleric splits up things a little differently, to seperate Domain from the choice between combat and Spell options (light armor and some extra Spellstuff versus Medium armor prof), to allow more combos, but not hard to configure. Might not be an issue when they put out the revised take (which I expect soon).

I've still never seen nor heard compelling evidence that either is problematic.

But even if they are...okay?
mostly twilight cleric is theory craft overpowered, and silvery barbs would be equal or slightly underpowered for a 3rd level spell. However powerful as 2nd level it ain't breaking a caster game.

Edit: never mind this spell is 1st I thought it was 2nd... for 1st it is way too powerful.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads