• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford Gives an Overview of the New Unearthed Arcana

The largest Unearthed Arcana ever, with 50 pages of playtest material!

The upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest packet for One D&D gets a preview from WotC's Jeremy Crawford. This is apparently the largest of these playtest packets so far, and the biggest Unearthed Arcana they have ever done, at 50 pages long.

It contains 5 classes, new spells, new feats, a revised rules glossary, and the new weapon mastery system.

darjr

I crit!
Do you think that will step too much on the martial’s toes?
Yea, maybe.
If the idea is to give martial more toys why also give them to spell casters? Which presumably have more already.

But honestly I liked the style of the 2014 martials with the idea of extemporaneous play vs relying on what the rules letter is.

Maybe either way this isn’t for me.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Given that the goal of weapon masteries is to add tactical options, it seems odd to have masteries (eg. flex) that act as a simple damage increases. Perhaps this is intended as a way for players to "opt out" of added complexity, but limiting it to specific weapons makes it harder for it to serve that purpose.

It also seems odd for the monk to be highlighted as a class that will make use of weapon mastery. This is a class that (outside particular subclasses) is specifically designed around unarmed combat. I worry this is an example of the developers forcing similarities in class groups to the detriment of unique class identities.
The monk has always used weapons if they want. Plus, maybe their body gets mastery stuff? I doubt it, but possible. The monk is about movement and effects on hits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads