Jessica Jones [spoilers allowed]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It just hit Netflix yesterday. Full series, ready for binge-watching. Don't worry about hiding spoilers. Whatcha think?

Crothian

First Post
I'm through episode seven. I really like that it shows her being a detective. Even with her special abilities her main power is being a PI. Kilgrave is the scariest villain Marvel has but on big or small screen. The show is doing a great job of showing on people he uses become broken.

Ryujin

Legend
About halfway through the episodes and really liking it. It's concentrating on people more than powers, which was a good choice for a series. Movies don't have the same time for character development.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm liking it and will happily claim it is probably the best TV show on any network at the moment.

I like that the superhero bit is understated and it is very much a character study exploring the lives of an ensemble of broken people coping in the dark underbelly of NYC. AT times it is a bit slow paced and the action a tad lame. although I think that is appropriate in the circumstance and does well to differentiate JJ from the more sanguine DD. The psychological tension is palpable and Tenant makes an awesome villain.

Its not recognisably comicbook and if it wasnt for the regular nods, one wouldnt even know it was connected to the Marvelverse. However we do get lots of Avengers references and a Jewel costume and call out in episode 5.
As PurpleDragon points out, super-enhanced banging is a thing, its raw but not crass and the only 'nudity' so far has been a male buttcrack. I'm not sure why the Jerri affair is there though, but its good to see a major gay character (yeah sure I like hot lesbians, but I am hoping theres more to it than either titilation or a girl-power statement :p). Of course the show also deals with obsession and rape but thats been lowkey too and I'm interested to see how well it is handled.

The formation of Jessicas team is a refereshing take when compared to Arrow and The Flash - the police guy is a bit too Punisher-like to me though but I like that Luke Cage has a major role and that Patsy Walker is already acquiring the combat skills she needs to make the superhero role call too

Anyway going to sleep now will watch more when I awaken

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I'm liking it and will happily claim it is probably the best TV show on any network at the moment.

I like that the superhero bit is understated and it is very much a character study exploring the lives of an assemble of broken people coping in the dark underbelly of NYC. AT times it is a bit slow paced and the action a tad lame. although I think that is appropriate in the circumstance and does well to differentiate JJ from the more sanguine DD. The psychological tension is palpable and Tenant makes an awesome villain.

Its not recognisably comicbook and if it wasnt for the regular nods, one wouldnt even know it was connected to the Marvelverse. However we do get lots of Avengers references and a Jewel costume and call out in episode 5.
As PurpleDragon points out, super-enhanced banging is a thing, its raw but not crass and the only 'nudity' so far has been a male buttcrack. I'm not sure why the Jerri affair is there though, but its good to see a major gay character (yeah sure I like hot lesbians, but I am hoping theres more to it than either titilation or a girl-power statement :p). Of course the show also deals with obsession and rape but thats been lowkey too and I'm interested to see how well it is handled.

The formation of Jessicas team is a refereshing take when compared to Arrow and The Flash - the police guy is a bit too Punisher-like to me though but I like that Luke Cage has a major role and that Patsy Walker is already acquiring the combat skills she needs to make the superhero role call too

Anyway going to sleep now will watch more when I awaken

The whole thing is pretty much a metaphor for dealing with the mental and physical repercussions of rape.

The most important similarity to Daredevil was basically that it was tight story-telling, with a lot of focus on the characters. It does stuff a big screen movie couldn't do.
I love it and I am looking forward to any continuations or other Netflix series of this type.
Particularly about Jessica Jones is that I really like the "Noir" type of story-telling.

An interesting aspect is that both shows are more grounded in reality than Avengers or Agents of SHIELD. Our heroes get really beaten up (well, the ones that can be beaten up) and have to deal with it for a while, and the action is not as over-the-top. In a way of course, I guess this also makes these shows rather cheap to make - you don't have to bring the full CGI and SFX palette. But that's great since more time is spend on story and characterization.

It's not just a metaphor for rape - it's also explicitly rape.
But I guess Killgrave nails down the aspect of absolute helpless even further, because he can make anyone do anything, and no one can resist or fight him. And the show really communicates that feeling.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I saw the first episode with the girlfriend. She isn't a fan of superhero stuff and rape rarely is her favorite subject, but she wants to see more of the series. The characters and the plot have gotten her interests.

Remove ads