Job System Early Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xael

First Post
I really don't like the "Must keep skill X maxed out" -idea either. I just don't think it makes much sense. The ones with more skill points in skills already gain more that those with less, there's no point in denying the ones with less skill points from practicing the craft.

Bront

The man with the probe
CRAFTSMAN
You are a craftsman, making a living on creating and selling items.
Requirements: At least 2 Craft skills at 4 ranks.
gp/week: 5 plus 1/2 the highest Craft skill modifier you have (ranks in Craft + Int modifier + other permanent bonuses).
Special Payment: You gain 1 Craft Point per week per rank in your highest Craft skill.
Special: You can craft, buy and sell items in a seperate thread while not adventuring. You must possess artisan tools. If you do not have one yet, you must set aside at least 1/4 of your income for a workshop, which costs 500 gp to buy.
You are assumed to have a selection of common goods (simple weapons, light armor, non-masterwork items) for sale. These cost neither money nor Craft Points to maintain. Other items need to be crafted or bought first.

No kickback or bonus for having the Craft masterwork Item feat? I would think you would get a bonus of some kind (perhaps earn tripple gold and tripple CP per week?)

Also, you should change Magecrafter to Mage/Psicrafter, and add made it 3rd level spell caster or 3rd level manifester.

azmodean

First Post
I like the looks of this, my primary (complaint?) is that the magecrafter(psicrafter would make sense too) gets too much money. My thoughts on this is that the minor items sold (0-level potions/scrolls) while more expensive than the items the crafter has available will also sell less often. The real money for a mage is selling magic items to PC types. Just so you know, one of my characters (A'jardin) is a crafter and would be using this system. I just want it to balance out.

Knight Otu

First Post
Psicrafter isn't too much of a problem... except that there are no psionic powers of 0 level. Since items with 0 level powers are supposed to form the 'basic stash' the crafter sells to people, that presents a smallish problem.

I'm not really sure if there should be an automatic bonus for having Craft Masterwork Item, somewhat because the "basic stash" is not supposed to hold masterwork items anyway. Though I suppose it would not unbalance things to add such a bonus.

azmodean: The magecrafter gets at least 25 gp per week. Depending on how you count it, that's either one (if you disregard the creation costs for the basic stock), or two 0-level potions sold per week. Do you think that number should be halved? What about the Craft Points?

Bront

The man with the probe
Knight Otu said:
Psicrafter isn't too much of a problem... except that there are no psionic powers of 0 level. Since items with 0 level powers are supposed to form the 'basic stash' the crafter sells to people, that presents a smallish problem.
And technicaly, you must spend XP to create any of it. We're already bending the rules for that, so I don't see a problem with bending it for a Psi-crafter.
Knight Otu said:
I'm not really sure if there should be an automatic bonus for having Craft Masterwork Item, somewhat because the "basic stash" is not supposed to hold masterwork items anyway. Though I suppose it would not unbalance things to add such a bonus.
Even if it's a flat bonus of either CPs gained and/or GP gained, I think that you should get something, especialy because you're talking about using a precious feat so you can do something that according to normal rules, you can do for free anyway.

azmodean

First Post
Knight Otu said:
azmodean: The magecrafter gets at least 25 gp per week. Depending on how you count it, that's either one (if you disregard the creation costs for the basic stock), or two 0-level potions sold per week. Do you think that number should be halved? What about the Craft Points?

Basically I don't see any reason to have the magecrafter making more per week than any other profession. It makes sense to me that they may only be able to sell a 0-level item once every other week or even once a month, perhaps they take their payment in installments :)

Somewhat silly reasoning aside, I just think it should be in line with the other professions. Much as it pains me, this applies to the craft points too. In fact, the crafter and magecrafter should make less gp/week since they are being compensated with craft points as well. That is, unless you want to encourage players to make crafter characters for the good of LEW, which I certainly see as a possibility. A'jardin will be starting a shop ASAP regardless of how the details end up though :)

Bront

The man with the probe
azmodean said:
Basically I don't see any reason to have the magecrafter making more per week than any other profession. It makes sense to me that they may only be able to sell a 0-level item once every other week or even once a month, perhaps they take their payment in installments :)

Somewhat silly reasoning aside, I just think it should be in line with the other professions. Much as it pains me, this applies to the craft points too. In fact, the crafter and magecrafter should make less gp/week since they are being compensated with craft points as well. That is, unless you want to encourage players to make crafter characters for the good of LEW, which I certainly see as a possibility. A'jardin will be starting a shop ASAP regardless of how the details end up though :)

I think that encouraging people to craft items is a good way to encourage interaction of players beyond just an adventure or a tavern, and actualy begins to turn this into a full comunity. Also, given that a masterwork armor or weapon will cost at least 15-30 craft points minemum, and magic items even more so and experience, if you don't encourage it a bit, you'll find it doesn't happen as much as it could (which is unfortunate).

Knight Otu

First Post
As it stands, it is harder to become a magecrafter than any other job (though I guess other jobs may turn out to be even harder to get into), requiring at least level 3. They also need to use more resources than the average craftsman, as you noted. Let's see..

Code:
Lvl	Craftsman Pay	Magecrafter Pay	Half Magecrafter Pay
1	12 (4)		N/A		N/A
2	12.5 (5)	N/A		N/A
3	13 (6)		25 (50)		12.5 (25)
4	14.5 (7)	25 (50)		12.5 (25)
5	15 (8)		37.5 (75)	18.75 (37.5)
6	15.5 (9)	50 (100)	25 (50)
7	16 (10)		50 (100)	25 (50)
8	17 (11)		50 (100)	25 (50)
9	17.5 (12)	62.5 (125)	31.25 (62.5)
10	18 (13)		75 (150)	37.5 (75)
11	18.5 (14)	75 (150)	37.5 (75)
12	19 (15)		87.5 (175)	43.75 (87.5)
13	19.5 (16)	87.5 (175)	43.75 (87.5)
14	20 (17)		87.5 (175)	43.75 (87.5)
15	20.5 (18)	112.5 (225)	56.35 (112.5)
16	21.5 (19)	112.5 (225)	56.35 (112.5)
17	22 (20)		112.5 (225)	56.35 (112.5)
18	22.5 (21)	125 (250)	62.5 (125)
19	23 (22)		125 (250)	62.5 (125)
20	23.5 (23)	137.5 (275)	68.75 (137.5)
I assumed max ranks, ability scores and the Skill Focus feat for the craftsman, putting all ability score increases into the key ability. For the magecrafter, I assumed 2 IC feats at 3rd level, and 1 additional IC feat with each 3rd level, and each 5th level (wizard). For each job, the real pay will usually be lower. So yes, I guess halving the pay for magecrafters and adding some additional income for other jobs might be necessary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads