• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Jocks and Nerds: If you like D&D, do you like ... the NFL Draft? (POLL)

If you play D&D, are you also interested in the NFL Draft?

• 1. I will be watching the prime-time coverage of the First Round!

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • 2. I want to know who is drafted, but I am not interested enough to watch.

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • 3. I have an NFL team, but c'mon, who cares about a draft.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • 4. I don't live in America. Isn't football doing the Champions League right now?

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 5. I play D&D. I don't root for laundry.

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • 6. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Poll closed .

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Early on in D&D, jocks played AD&D just as much, if not more, than their nerdier counterparts. The Early 80s had everyone playing. It seems many just cannot grasp that these days.

Later on, there became divisions as the fad of AD&D died out. Some of the sportier types kept playing though. It became more the something stereotyped as being played by nerdy kids and ever since it's been a numbers game. I'd say the height of the nerd rule of D&D was 3e and 3.5 with how complex it got and how the numbers were everywhere. PC optimizers made it worse, and adverse to the general public. It raised the numbers of sales of D&D from a low to probably 5 million players...but that still wasn't enough of an umbrella to really include many more than the number crunchers.

Fantasy Football seems to have had a bigger umbrella. You have all sorts that participate, but normally it's also number crunchers. These are those that look at the numbers or stats of the players and calculate their fantasy teams based on that. You get the hardcore football fans, but you also get the nerdier types that like the numbers even more than the games themselves! I'd not say that Fantasy Football is a jocks game...as it has always had just as many of the more deskbound non-sporty types involved as anyone else.

PS: I never really got into fantasy football or any fantasy sports myself. I have been a High School Coach and even a club team coach for the "real" football (known as Soccer in the US). I have had some very hard core team players that are into fantasy champions league, and follow it ardently, but I was never really into the fantasy sports scene.
I recall being told by jocks 25 years ago that I should, "stop nerding up football" for being a fantasy footballer. Those same gentlemen are now all fantasy footballers too. Kinda ridiculous, I never dreamed FF would balloon into the juggernaut it is today. :cool:

Remove ads