Join a Villainous Conspiracy, Control the World, Win Prizes

Radical Factions
The following factions are rumored to exist, and people discuss their goals and ideology, but no one publicly ascribes to them. They might operate in secret, or they might simply be straw men created to drive officers of the conspiracy to support safer, mainstream factions.

Amorals. This highly philosophical faction questions whether anyone ought to decide what is of value in a new world. They suspect that the initial bonding of this world to other planes created an artificial sense of morality and value. If we can change what people value simply by altering the nature of reality, what makes us think our own morality is not also enforced? They propose not linking to any specific planes, but instead letting our world be loosely connected to the entire multiverse. This would be the only way for people to be truly free to determine their own ideology, without outside influence.

Celestial Bureaucracy. This faction suggests the world should be linked to a plane inhabited by just and noble angels, which will guide the moral races and provide judgment, since we do such a poor job of it.

Humble Hook. This faction rejects the major goal of the Obscurati. While they support making the world better, they say it is every individual's challenge in life to make themselves better. They do not think it is their place to try to alter reality on such a fundamental level. The purpose of life is to prevail over adversity, and by making the world 'a better place,' they fear it will actually eliminate the meaning of life.

Materialists. This faction believes that magic is irrational and creates too many problems. They suggest reducing the power of magic as much as possible.

Nationalists. There are supposedly several factions of patriots who want to make sure their nation profits most from the new world order.

The White Tongue. Rumors suggest that an unknown number of Obscurati members have made a pact with the fey titan known as the Voice of Rot, which seeks to gain power by letting the world die.

And with that, the list is complete. I will post a new thread with the poll on Monday, and will condense things for the folks who probably don't care to read 6000 words about planar alignments.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
I kinda want to see the New Reality faction, who think the underlying rules that control reality are faulty, and would like a new "edition" of those rules. ;)

Ajar

Explorer
That's an awesome idea. When BIG SPOILERY EVENT happens later in the campaign, maybe I'll ask my players if they want to switch to 13th Age. The 13 True Ways supplement should be out by then.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Well, Monte Cook switched from 2E to 3E during his original Ptolus campaign through the narrative device of a cataclysmic cosmic event - so why not Zeitgeist?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Telling people they need to buy two core rule sets as well as the adventure path is no way to sell it!

Remove ads