• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Joke Names you've never used...but want to.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...in our M&M game feat. Joséirus, we've battled Juanubis for possession of an artifact called the Platter of Chaluptah

I have to say, your stories about this campaign still inspire me. And every once in a while, like a leviathan surfacing from benthic depths, it inspires another concept, like...

LOLA PAZUZU, Mesopotamian goddess of open air music festivals.

Eis

Explorer
a buddy of mine wanted to run a bard named Bic Pentameter.....so he could announce himself "I am Bic Pentameter!"

aramis erak

Legend
I actually used the names of brands of Vacuum Cleaners for the names of the goblin tribes in my last homebrew D&D campaign. Kirby, Dyson, 'oover, Black Decker, rainbow...

My players never mentioned that aspect... My wife just glared at me when I pointed it out.

I've used an NPC Faerie named Gaye. A Dwarf named Schtumpy. A Goblin named Gobble. An archer whose name translated to Broken Arrow. (Inspired by a friend from Broken Arrow, OK.) A goblin airship pilot named Nokkan Lander. (Players never asked his name. They just killed him. Le sigh.)

Heck, In a Traveller game, I introduced an NPC named Jake Castle. I used Nathan Fillion's head-shot. And a cross between Richard Castle and Malcom Reynolds in the personality department. Same campaign, Scout Dirk Dagger.

So, I really don't have many I won't use.

I've been known to hide puns by using Google Translate.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In my case, it’s not unwillingnesss to use the names, it’s lack of sufficient opportunities coupled with the occasional GM’s “Aw HELL naw!”

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
KEK YARRBEWTI: A Scots-Korean corsair

RADIOSHAQ: this version of Shaquille O’Neal from an alternate dimension retired from the NBA after a dose of cosmic radiation gave him super powers. Now a being of pure energy, he can fly at near light speed (teleport), create short-lived force fields, emit energy blasts at various frequencies, and monitor and transmit information on the AM, FM, and shortwave bandwidths. This latter ability also lets him exercise some moderate control over robotic devices that receive instructions on such frequencies.

He can solidify himself for short periods of time with conscious effort.

Note: on his Earth, there were never any Radio Shack stores.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
a buddy of mine wanted to run a bard named Bic Pentameter.....so he could announce himself "I am Bic Pentameter!"

He should talk about his ancestry and living relations a lot: Brock, Buck, Beck, Brent, Burke, Bink, Barque (the sailor), Brook, Barack, Bexley (Bex)...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RŌG TUS-KARR:  a version of pulp-era/Sci-Fi types like Adam Strange, Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers and Commando Cody. He's a crash landed alien scout, a heavyworlder. He has some advanced sensory & survival tech in his uniform, plus some jump jets and a handy blaster pistol for a sidearm. Has a small, golden bird-like robot drone for recon, too. As a heavyworlder, he is physically stronger and more durable than humans.  He looks like a bipedal, 7'8" tall pink elephant. Home world: Snuffleupagron 5.   (Winos hate him.)

SPRUCE WAYNE: an anthropomorphic plant man vigilante.

NEFARIOUS LEE: a Saturday morning cartoon style ne'er do well

Then some I haven’t fleshed out at all...

DIXON BALZAC
MACK KOI
WALTHER FOKKE
DICK MAUVE

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
LOLA PAZUZU, Mesopotamian goddess of open air music festivals.
Oh that's good. And it gives me an idea for the start of a supers campaign which opens at Coachella!

SPRUCE WAYNE: an anthropomorphic plant man vigilante.

NEFARIOUS LEE: a Saturday morning cartoon style ne'er do well
I will steal these.

DIXON BALZAC
Ah yes, Dixon Balzac, French P.I. "Le Mans Sans Honoré". My French might need work...

In other news, my friend's 15-year old son wants to run a campaign where we -- meaning all the middle-aged folk -- play retired mid-level adventurers who get back into the game for one last score. The kicker: each one suffers from some debilitating condition or previous injury. Possible afflictions from his massive homemade chart include cancer, loss of limb(s), and syphilis. He's going to make a fine DM!

I'm thinking of playing to play a rogue (with cancer) who needs money to put his twin daughters through private Bardic College: Pelham 'Pel' Grant.

Either that or a fake samurai (blade) bard who practices the Art of Bulshitō. Name of Yasujirō Ouzo. Which is a great pun, if you like a) Japanese cinema and b) booze.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In other news, my friend's 15-year old son wants to run a campaign where we -- meaning all the middle-aged folk -- play retired mid-level adventurers who get back into the game for one last score. The kicker: each one suffers from some debilitating condition or previous injury. Possible afflictions from his massive homemade chart include cancer, loss of limb(s), and syphilis. He's going to make a fine DM!
Well, given that, howzabout...
SKIP TRACER: one-legged bounty hunter
PETER BURNS: syphilitic wheel man

Last edited:

Remove ads