• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Shackled City

Krellic

Explorer
A sharp intake of breath...

Desperate stuff!

It seems the DM did a nice slick job of running the riot. And the fight with the fire elementals was close. I'm not sure I could bear yet another cast change. Is it just me or with so many flyers in the party is this starting to read a little like a superhero storyhour?

Well written and I am enjoying it.

gfunk

First Post
Krellic said:
I'm not sure I could bear yet another cast change. Is it just me or with so many flyers in the party is this starting to read a little like a superhero storyhour?
Hey Krellic, nice to see you posting again! If you recall, you were the first to post to my original story hour. Thanks for that!

Anyway, I don't know I wouldn't mind a cast change. Have you checked out the Complete Warrior? :p Must have a Dervish!!!

The flying part, I think, has become mandatory. It gives you such supreme manuverability that you will be lost without it. That's why Caine can give everyone the ability.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Krellic said:
Desperate stuff!

It seems the DM did a nice slick job of running the riot. And the fight with the fire elementals was close. I'm not sure I could bear yet another cast change. Is it just me or with so many flyers in the party is this starting to read a little like a superhero storyhour?

Well written and I am enjoying it.

Just a quick point. I probably haven't emphasized this, but as I mentioned when Ajax first appeared, he is forbidden from revealing his true nature to the general public, so when he flys, he appears as a normal human, possibly under the effects of a fly spell, AND he did make it a point to do most of his flying invisibly (remember too, he wears a hat of disguise).

Well done guys! Besides defeating the elementals, you did a good job of preventing a serious clash between the mob and the guards. Plus, you never know when a friend in the guards might come in handy.

Did that scene take up the entire session? I mean, it was pretty extensive and JollyDoc told many details.
Also, is there much party splitting when you play? I kinda got that feeling when JollyDoc jumped from player to player (not meant as criticism at all, JollyDoc - I love the way you write) in his story.

gfunk

First Post
Neverwinter Knight said:
Did that scene take up the entire session?
Yes, it took up probably ~70% of the session. First, JollyDoc advanced time after "Zenith" so we all described what we would be doing in the interim. Joachim's, Wathros', Tilly's, and Rusty's dialgoues were all role-played.

The riot itself took quite a while since there were so many participants. Esp. when Rusty ascended the Town Hall and tried to talk his way to see the Mayor. Here, we debated about how Rusty should be treated by the guards.

Also, is there much party splitting when you play?
During role-play element, such as between adventures, yes we do split the party. In the case of combats though, things are just run in initiative order by round. People act as they will wherever they are.

Krellic

Explorer
Small sidestep off topic

gfunk said:
Hey Krellic, nice to see you posting again! If you recall, you were the first to post to my original story hour. Thanks for that!

Anyway, I don't know I wouldn't mind a cast change. Have you checked out the Complete Warrior? :p Must have a Dervish!!!

The flying part, I think, has become mandatory. It gives you such supreme manuverability that you will be lost without it. That's why Caine can give everyone the ability.

I've followed this one from start as well, I'm just not a great poster. I think that the Dervish is really cool and I shudder to think what combos you guys can extract from that tome. I thought the Invisible Blade was an interesting PrC for a knife-fighter and that's something that's been lacking.

Given the urban environment, especially the riot, flight was the only way to travel.

"Oh no, another mysterious urban calamity! Wait up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a dragon? No! It's the Silver Axes!!!"
;)

Lela

First Post
Okay, dangit. I just bought The Book of Exalted Deeds, read the Apostle of Peace, and now you're considering the Complete Warior?

EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, spill it. What book? General Concept? C'mon, I want to hear it.

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Lela said:
So, spill it. What book? General Concept? C'mon, I want to hear it.
No fear, I was just joking around. I enjoy playing Caine. Though I would love to make a Dervish (two-weapon fighter on steroids), Hexblade (fighter/necromancer), or Occult Slayer (self-explanatory).

BTW, here's a teaser for this weeks adventures.

Caine gives some MAJOR lip to a celestial! GASP! :eek:
I'm really looking forward to JollyDoc's characterization of it. After the "incident" Caine and Ajax have an extremely interesting discussion (in Celestial) about the Celestial Heirarchy.

Oh, and Tilly gets to shine (he was in sneak attack heaven!).

Lela

First Post
Makes me wonder if he's taken Sacred Strike yet.

And I look forward to Caine vs Ajax, Round 1. Will this be a rivalry (it's not as if Joachim and Gfunk have ever had one before :p)? Would be really interesting to see how it plays out.

Joachim

First Post
Lela said:
Makes me wonder if he's taken Sacred Strike yet.

And I look forward to Caine vs Ajax, Round 1. Will this be a rivalry (it's not as if Joachim and Gfunk have ever had one before :p)? Would be really interesting to see how it plays out.

No rivalry, quite the opposite. Caine makes his disdain for the Celestial Courts known, and Ajax is saddened by the fact that 1) Caine is at least somewhat correct on his characterizations, but 2) Ajax is a part of those courts, and truly understands why things are the way they are (but that doesn't mean that Ajax has to like it). This character development moment brought to you by Caine Industries...

Remove ads