• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Shackled City

Lela

First Post
Wow, that was deadly. And, JollyDoc, nicely done. You managed to make Rusty and Wathros really shine. I mean, they blew me out of the water. I'm almost tempted to make Wathros my new favorite character.

Speaking of which, you said they were really looking at a lot of those exalted feats and slavering. Any plans to move forward with that?

gfunk

First Post
As I was looking over this week's action in retrospect, I think the value of Rusty and Wathros has been significantly enhanced. Personally, I like it this way with the party members being well-balanced. I enjoy playing a support character for a change.

In regards to Lela's exalted question . . . well things are looking up for the forces of Good! Rusty has started to use Sanctified spells and Wathros' player 'borrowed' my BoED, ostensibly to look at the 'Lion of Talsid' PrC and a few new exalted feats. But we all know he's really a power-gamer waiting to burst out of his shell!!:D

I have no idea what Tilly's player wants to do however. Reincarnation would be cool, but too random to be useful. If he is raised, by Rusty or Jenya, then he will be in the middle of 7th level. However, if he brings in a new character . . .

JollyDoc

Explorer
Lela said:
Wow, that was deadly. And, JollyDoc, nicely done. You managed to make Rusty and Wathros really shine. I mean, they blew me out of the water. I'm almost tempted to make Wathros my new favorite character.

Speaking of which, you said they were really looking at a lot of those exalted feats and slavering. Any plans to move forward with that?

Yes, one thing I'll say about Brian, Rusty's player, is he a stickler for role-playing, even when meta-gaming, he could foresee a negative outcome. He, as a player, knew the archons were not to be trusted, but he allowed his character to do as he might actually do. It led to a much more rich and creative scene, which still ended well. Congrats to Wathros and Rusty on saving the day.

I say: Roll the dice, Tilly !!! Reincarnation is very, very cool. I mean, there are some bad outcomes, but there are also some very nice new races that could be his.

And, BTW, it's really, really fun... :D

PS: I'd go for bugbear (Str+4, Dex+2, Con+2) or whatever gives the most plusses - you'll make up for your appearance through good roleplaying. You might also go for DM special, if you have some influence over JollyDoc. ;)

Last edited:

Nightingale 7

First Post
Truly,Wathros seems to be going through a lot of animal companions nowadays.I hope the celestial lion companion will be more durable eh?(hint,hint :D )

So the group is now at around 9th level,and Jollydoc says they're nearing the end of the Demonskar adventure?Having read the adventure I'm VERY concerned with the group's chances.Not that I doubt the group's value,but still...
A specific encounter makes me nervous.

Now,to a Caine matter:Caine sent Jules to aid Wathros,and the familiar started blasting the hag with his eye rays.Isn't this an indirect violation of the Vow of Peace?Although the archon is a separate creature,as a familiar it is essentially a part of the caster.If this is not a violation of the rules,then I guess the summoning spells are not either.Hmmm...that leaves a lot of wiggle room,and it is not addressed at all in the BOED.Also,even though ability damage is prohibited,what about negative ability score adjustments,like Ray of Enfeeblement and Bestow Curse?Strictly by the rules,they are allowed since they don't do actual damage.Just a little powergaming food for the thought Gfunk ;)

gfunk

First Post
Nightingale,

Actually, this was a point that JollyDoc and I had discussed before. My original position was that causing lethal damage via Summon Monster spells OR through Jules was a violation of my Vow of Peace.

JollyDoc agreed with the former, but not with the latter. He felt that Jules was a free-willed creature, unlike summoned monsters which are essentially under your absolute control. Jules is more like a treasured friend than a summonable meat shield. Who am I to disagree with the DM?;)

Anyway, JD did not include a part of the adventure where Caine gave Jules a severe tongue-lashing for his violence. However, while the search for Aleukast was ongoing (Ajax was still forcecaged), Jules and Ajax were giving each other high-fives.:D

Nightingale 7 said:
So the group is now at around 9th level,and Jollydoc says they're nearing the end of the Demonskar adventure?Having read the adventure I'm VERY concerned with the group's chances.Not that I doubt the group's value,but still...
A specific encounter makes me nervous.
OK, now you're scaring me. Seriously.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Sorry G.Jollydoc should understand exactly what I mean.I don't want to say anything more specific to avoid spoiling that nice adventure you've got going.The DEMONskar adventure is pretty nice isn't it? ;)

Lela

First Post
gfunk said:
After having just come back from tonight's session, I would have to say . . . . . . . . . . . NO.:(
So, in actuality, how much lower than you should be are you?

In other words (read: to make more sense), what's the actual average party level you should be at?

Remove ads