Jon Peterson: Does System Matter?

D&D historian Jon Peterson asks the question on his blog as he does a deep dive into how early tabletop RPG enthusiasts wrestled with the same thing. Based around the concept that 'D&D can do anything, so why learn a new system?', the conversation examines whether the system itself affects the playstyle of those playing it. Some systems are custom-designed to create a certain atmosphere (see...

D&D historian Jon Peterson asks the question on his blog as he does a deep dive into how early tabletop RPG enthusiasts wrestled with the same thing.

Based around the concept that 'D&D can do anything, so why learn a new system?', the conversation examines whether the system itself affects the playstyle of those playing it. Some systems are custom-designed to create a certain atmosphere (see Dread's suspenseful Jenga-tower narrative game), and Call of Cthulhu certainly discourages the D&D style of play, despite a d20 version in early 2000s.

AnE#37-simbalist-system.jpg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yes, but not all negotiation of fiction is GM Decides or Group Decides. Even these two systems alone are vastly different and produce profoundly different experiences at the table in regards to agency, distribution of authority, expectations of play, and so on.

In this case, its more like taking a taxi vs carpooling with some buddies to get somewhere. Even if its the same vehicle and we're going to the same place, the ride there is going to be a totally different experience!
I absolutely agree. That's probably why I can't present the System doesn't matter argument with any coherence, because I don't agree with it.

Aldarc

Legend
I think there are some elements of systems that seem to matter a great deal to some people that are utterly irrelevant to other people.

How many stats you have, how you calculate starting stats, what dice you roll, how you heal, and a pretty staggering number of things we argue about on here that most be people just let go over their head.
IME, these things utterly don't matter up until the point where they utterly matter more than anything. Often, again IME, it happens when people experience TTRPG "culture shock." Then it's funny how those things that were "utterly irrelevant" become "utterly relevant" when faced with an alien experience.

One of the reasons I think D&D 5e has done well is for a lot of these areas they’ve said... “we don’t care what method you use. Pick what you like.” Thats powerful segmented marketing there.

In other words it doesn’t matter what system you use... as long as you’re having fun. 😜
Ummm... I think that's more accurately "It doesn't matter what system you use... as long as you're using 5e." You're still buying and driving the car they made regardless of whether you choose to drive it with the windows up or down, where you point the fans, or how hot/cold you set the heater/AC.

TheSword

Legend
IME, these things utterly don't matter up until the point where they utterly matter more than anything. Often, again IME, it happens when people experience TTRPG "culture shock." Then it's funny how those things that were "utterly irrelevant" become "utterly relevant" when faced with an alien experience.

Ummm... I think that's more accurately "It doesn't matter what system you use... as long as you're using 5e." You're still buying and driving the car they made regardless of whether you choose to drive it with the windows up or down, where you point the fans, or how hot/cold you set the heater/AC.
True.

I prefer to think of it as one of these.

EC0D323F-2201-47C4-BFD5-B33D22134957.jpeg

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
If I’m looking at a gym membership it’s easy. I plot cost vs useful services and pick. Either the greatest cost/benefit or the highest services I can afford if price isn’t a problem.

This suggests only a familiarity with commercial big box gyms where you might have a couple power racks, assorted weight machines, and a bunch of cardio equipment. Speaking as someone who has been a member of power lifting gyms, yoga studios, body building gyms, mixed martial arts gyms, and even in a moment of weakness a CrossFit gym there are so many variables I consider when choosing a gym or gyms to be part of. Stuff like key access, what kind of coaching is available, the culture of the gym, busy times, what sort of equipment is available, if I'm going to be bothered by personal trainers, opportunities to get involved in competitions, whether you are actually allowed to exert yourself, etc. A gym is far more than its amenities.

Oops. Not a fitness forum.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Don't forget the classic "System doesn't matter, until the system has metagame currency or Fortune-in-the-middle mechanics or some other technique I'm not familiar with. Then system is really important!"

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
From my personal perspective roleplaying games are an alchemy. Take these specific people at this specific time playing this specific game with this specific situation playing these specific characters. Change any of these elements and the alchemy changes substantially in any game worth playing (in my opinion of course). Trying to say one matters more than the others is to fundamentally miss the point that all are essential to how things turn out. Alter any and the entire experience is altered.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yea, but I think the disconnect I'm seeing is that I feel there's nothing wrong with making recommendations to people based on your own experiences.

Like, if I tell someone I really enjoyed the food at this seafood restaurant over the weekend, and they should give it a shot if they're in the city sometime. If they tell me, "Yea, I really don't like seafood", than that should end the conversation and everyone should be happy. I'm not wrong for thinking the restaurant is great and recommending it to people, and they're not wrong for not liking seafood and thus not wanting to follow my recommendation.

I haven't seen anyway in this thread saying something like "Seafood restaurants are objectively the best restaurant, and you should only eat there." Likewise, I haven't seen anyone say "Don't ever recommend seafood, because some people are allergic." Which is good, because those would both be objectively bad statements to make!

The only thing I've really seen on this thread is people saying "If you really like seafood, you should try this new restaurant rather than ordering another Filet O' Fish from McDonalds." The fact that some people might still like their Filet O' Fish doesn't mean you can't say "I think the food at that new restaurant is objectively better than a Filet O' Fish."

Great example! Maybe this will help ... I mean, probably not, given the topic and the thread, but I'll give it a try. :)

Abe loves the seafood at Ye Olde Maine Lobster Shack ("LS"). Abe knows that his friend, Bob, love seafood, too.

Abe recommends LS to Bob. Bob goes to LS. A few days later, Abe asks Bob about the restaurant.

"I didn't like it," says Bob. "I mean, it was fine. It just wasn't great for me."

At this point, Abe doesn't know what to do. Of course it was great seafood! And Bob likes seafood! And since Abe is sure of his own preferences, and since, um, seafood matters (?), the problem ... has to be Bob, right?

So Abe goes through a whole laundry list of issues- maybe Bob didn't really eat at the restaurant and is lying about it because Bob only eats at Red Lobster and Bob just loves him some strawmen. Maybe Bob ate the seafood wrong, and was eating the lobster shell instead of the sweet, sweet succulent lobster meat? Maybe Bob was paying attention to the wrong things- the service, or the atmosphere, or all the things that don't matter when it comes to seafood?

Or maybe, even though they both love seafood, and they both want good seafood, they can have a reasonable disagreement about the same thing.

When you look at what people say, you see that there is widespread agreement on the weak version of the statement that the rules ("system") matters. No reasonable person disagrees that there is a difference between a diceless game and a game with dice, or even whether small mechanical tweaks in a game (such as a combat game that allows for more misses, but fewer hp, as opposed to more hits, but more hps) can make a game "play" differently. I think that these effects can be echoed in a number of different ways- for example, the amount of rules a game devotes to a particular "area" often means that this area will get more attention in the game (this is the "D&D has more combat because it has more rules about combat" corollary).

To me, that's a truism in the same way that, "The players at the table matter."

It's when people get arguing and screaming strawman at each other and making claims about how particular systems are the best way or a better way to model certain types of fiction that things seem to get wonky. Those tend to be more prescriptive statements. Because that tends to overlook the dynamics of people and tables, not to mention preferences.

None of this should shortcut discussions about preferences, or recommendations about TTRPGs that are fun to play or particularly well-suited for doing X, Y, or Z. But sometimes Abe and Bob might both like seafood, and just not agree on Ye Olde Maine Lobster Shack. It doesn't make either of them wrong, or evil, or hating seafood. Human preferences are a heckuva thing; I mean, look just at the 5e threads and you will see an enormous number of opinions of people that are arguing over the same features in the same game, and whether those features are good or bad.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads