D&D 5E Joseph Goodman on 5E

fireinthedust

Explorer
I think most stores (Indigo in Canukistan) just plain didn't offer competitive prices for paper RPG books. What with currency changes, they'd still keep to the Canadian price, even when the American dollar was worth less. Smaller stores were better, but online book buying (Amazon, or even Chapters.ca) has such better prices than even their physical store locations... it's just not something broke gamers will buy. I could see buying Starter sets in a big store, but not splatbooks or other materials with any regularity. Same thing with comic books.

So Marleykat: I'd buy from them online. However, their paper books are well made books, and fairly straightforward. Good puzzles in the ones I've got, too.

Number48

First Post
I think most stores (Indigo in Canukistan) just plain didn't offer competitive prices for paper RPG books. What with currency changes, they'd still keep to the Canadian price, even when the American dollar was worth less. Smaller stores were better, but online book buying (Amazon, or even Chapters.ca) has such better prices than even their physical store locations... it's just not something broke gamers will buy. I could see buying Starter sets in a big store, but not splatbooks or other materials with any regularity. Same thing with comic books.

So Marleykat: I'd buy from them online. However, their paper books are well made books, and fairly straightforward. Good puzzles in the ones I've got, too.

...and that's the reasoning that led to my game store closing. The extra price you pay at a game store over online prices is so that there is a game store.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
...and that's the reasoning that led to my game store closing. The extra price you pay at a game store over online prices is so that there is a game store.
Which is saying that they can't compete. Adapt or die; provide value in some form that can't be found online, and you have a better shot at surviving.

Corathon

First Post
Which is saying that they can't compete. Adapt or die; provide value in some form that can't be found online, and you have a better shot at surviving.

IMO, game stores provide value by existing. I like going to a game store, its recreational for me. That's why I shop there. The only game stuff I buy online is unavailable in stores (e.g. OSR stuff from Lulu).

Glade Riven

Adventurer
If it works, great. Many game stores provided added value through game nights, carrying a larger array of products than just RPGs (board games, comics, CCGs, wargaming, snacks, etc), host LAN parties and console tournaments, and more. If a gaming store isn't doing any of those things, or isn't set up as a hang-out that allows for impulse buys, it can hurt them. Any business owner has to keep their eyes on the market. Money is made by providing a good or service. If a shop isn't giving people what they want, it will go out of business.

Henry

Autoexreginated
...monster stats. DCC RPG monster stats are very simple. They are built on the same foundation as Pathfinder, C&C, and all other D&D 3.5 descendants.

I hate to nitpick on one point, but... one of the these things is not like the other. Looking at monster stats between editions, 3.x monster stats (in all varieties) stand out in stark contrast to 4E, C&C, and 1E/2E/OD&D monster stats.

For everything else, I'm stoked that he's stoked -- chances are he's seen an early edition, and this says volumes of good things.

marleykat

First Post
I prefer to do my purchases at store I don't mind the higher price than online.

[MENTION=6667844]eve[/MENTION]rybody, thanks for all the information I'll touch base with a couple local Game stores on this.

Remove ads