• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judgement calls vs "railroading"

hawkeyefan

Legend
how could that possibly be even contemplated as objective fact? It is abundantly clear that to some large number of people the value of that agency is less than the cost of it. Which isn't to claim that the opposite is any less purely preference.

It is objective fact that there are groups which strongly prefer each and groups which are much more moderate.
In theory it could also be shown as objective fact that one approach creates more players and sales.
But there is nothing objective about "more fun" for either.

Ultimately though, it isn't honest debate to frame the conversation around one side as virtuous and the other as backwards.
To me, quotes from 4E designers regarding things like making monks cool game pieces rather than focused on modeling a monk are completely destroying the attraction of the game. But I can readily see why someone else may feel the opposite.

No, I understand that. I don't think it is an objective matter. I was replying to @Imaro who mentioned that in his post.

I'm not claiming it's an objective fact, only that in this thread it seems to be presented by a few posters as objectively positive as opposed to something with positive and negative facets.

I understood. I'm sorry my comment was not clearer. What I was saying is that although I think at times it may seem like some folks are pushing this play style as inherently preferable, I think if asked directly, they would acknowledge that it is totally a matter of preference.

So while sometimes they may seem like they feel that way about it, I don't think anyone has flat out said "this is a better way to play and here is why".

Hope that clarifies....I was not disagreeing with you so much as making that distinction.

Tony Vargas

Legend
(which seems to be any D&D player who doesn't prefer 4e)
The experience the OP related to begin with wasn't in D&D - 'Burning Wheel' or something. If you're sensing a vibe it's probably indie v D&D - and it may well be coming from both sides of the conversation. Though, I guess if you had a spectrum of indie-to-D&D it might look something like:

MLwM>D/V>DA>BW>13A><B/X<4e<5e<2e<3.x/PF<1e<0e.

A few things. First, sometimes personality trumps skill challenges and player desires. Scrooge isn't going to loan a PC 10,000 gold pieces, so a social challenge to see if he "parries" the request fails from the get go. It should be disallowed.
It would be like throwing a dart at an enemy behind a stone wall, it's simply not going to work w/o line of effect.

... but now we are getting into the necessity of building a dedicated rules structure (to create a scarce resource, determine how one gains it, and regulate how and when it can be used) for narrative control, which at that point I think we have to ask... will this actively enhance the play experience for these players to a great enough extent that adding and having to learn these extra rules is desirable?
There needn't be any such a necessity: if the game already has resource-driven rules, for instance, they can simply be adapted.

We also have to consider that there is a subset of players, for whatever reason who just don't want to author the narrative.
They could decline to accumulate said resources - or to use them that way if they're an existing system being adapted to that purpose.

Many in this thread are assuming that this type of play style is inherently something that we should strive to incorporate or move our games towards... but why is that? Why are we assuming it's inherent positive quality or effect on our games? When honestly I've yet to see anything in this thread that convinces me it's objectively a better way.
'Better' is clearly subjective, but it's not like using one technique precludes others, so you don't need to decide which is better and use it exclusively. Not that I see that being acknowledged, either.

I am not a huge fan of Robin Laws' player type analysis. The intent of knowing who you are playing with and knowing what they want out of the game is mostly benign. However, in my experience, it fails to adequately capture the diversity of play experiences. I find that what motivates a player in any given moment is often a moving target. Our overall tendencies will also change over time. Furthermore it presumes conflict between things that do not have to conflict in any way.
Very true. And the same thing happens with games, styles, and techniques. The classifications aren't inherently invalid, but if treated as absolutes or as antithetical, become problematic.

The right set of techniques and mechanics can do a lot to alleviate these conflicts.
Since a given player's 'type' can actually shift emphasis with the situation or morph over time, a flexible enough system to smoothly accommodate multiple 'types' or styles or agendas or whatever set of boxes is under discussion, can be a plus even if there's not a conflict at the table, initially, or even if there is (say the table's 'type' shifts in step, or it's a single-player game, for instance).

[MENTION=1282]darkbard[/MENTION] is correct about this: they didn't themselves want to reveal or unmask the traitor - but, as events unfolded, they were able to goad him into unmasking himself.
It seems like the goal or 'stakes' shifted, then?

Then what's the point of them? And how do you resolve combat, if the GM is free at any time to ignore the intiative, to hit and damage dice? (On the grounds that the dice shouldn't force the GM into anything specific.)
It can certainly be done, the GM would base his judgement on the characters and the actions the players chose for them - not formal mechanical actions like "I attack" but more descriptive ones ("I swing my ax, butally, full-force," "I slide my rapier under his guard," etc), and it would depend upon the GM's judgement, the player's knowledge of the sort of combat being resolved relative to the GM's perception of what is 'correct' knowledge of that topic, the player's creativity, his ability to declare actions in a way that encourages the GM to rule in his favor, etc.

Personally, I find it very hard to see how the ficiton is going to include that sort of thing if the GM is not bound by the dice and is always free to narrate NPCs as s/he thinks is rational for them. Whey, then, would they ever make errors or act out of passion?
Because it fits the NPC in question or the flow of the story at that point?

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION]

I am not a huge fan of Robin Laws' player type analysis. The intent of knowing who you are playing with and knowing what they want out of the game is mostly benign. However, in my experience, it fails to adequately capture the diversity of play experiences.

Well I don't think it's trying to be exhaustive... but as a general guideline I think it serves it's purposes pretty well. I am curious what play experiences do you believe it is not addressing?

I find that what motivates a player in any given moment is often a moving target. Our overall tendencies will also change over time. Furthermore it presumes conflict between things that do not have to conflict in any way. The right set of techniques and mechanics can do a lot to alleviate these conflicts. Additionally, it fails to capture the nuances within any single category. As an example, one "Method Actor" might be mostly concerned with details of characterization and color where another is more concerned with making character defining or revealing decisions and experiencing the same emotions as their character. What I find most problematic about the analysis is the idea that when we sit down to play a roleplaying game is that a given player will always be looking for the same sort of fun, rather than meaningfully taking on the interests of the game.

So given player motivation is a moving target at any given time... player tendencies will shift over time, and there are nuances within any single category of player type... why would a single set of techniques and mechanics be a better choice than one that has wide reaching and a broader focus?

Hmmm... this line of thinking has made me wonder something else as well. I tend to run long term campaigns and with the assumptions above it seems that a more focused rules set would actually grow stale or boring over a longer period of time, where as a less focused more broad based rule set would more easily accommodate those changing tastes and tendencies... what do you think?

Finally I want to address your last sentence above... I don't find it problematic at all to assume the average player when sitting down to a roleplaying game is going to be looking for the same sort of fun (in a general sense)... in fact I'd say it pretty much bears out in my experience. One of my brothers who games is a butt-kicker... doesn't matter if it's D&D, Mage the Awakening, FATE or Numenera he wants to kick but and take names. I have another brother who is a Tactician... no matter what else he might enjoy he always finds riddles, puzzles and mysteries fun to engage with. While they may enjoy other things about the game I know as DM/GM for a fact that these things will always engage and interest them while other things will be hit or miss at times.

When it comes to playing roleplaying games I pretty much like all of it. I am most concerned with advocating for my character vigorously and experiencing things as they do in a meaningful way. In the pursuit of those character goals I want to utilize my competitive desires and skill as a gamer. That means applying skilled fictional positioning and application of system mastery alongside a healthy dose of teamwork. I also want a compelling story to result, but I do not want to sacrifice character advocacy or skilled play in the name of getting there. I do not want to be gifted or told a story. I want to earn it and experience it through my character advocacy, skilled play, and creative contributions. I want to grab story by the throat and play in the moment. A good deal of my frustrations with playing and running mainstream games in the past was dealing with conflicts between my various desires, having to sacrifice one in the name of another. I am pretty much done with that.

Do you think someone who enjoys all of those to an equal degree is the norm? Anyway It seems, at least from this read that... player advocacy and experiencing things as the character does in a meaningful way... are what is most important to you and it reflects in your score of 96% Method Actor. The others are things you enjoy but it seems pretty clear form the passage above that without that Method Acting component you wouldn't enjoy or probably even play the game... and so you prefer games that accommodate or even push for that.. or am I misreading? That's great if you've got others who value that as much as you do... but if they don't well what do you do then? If they want to kick some butt right now but the pursuit of your character goals and advocating for your character isn't leading to that... what happens?

I get that preferences are different and we should not begrudge people their preferences. Throughout the course of this thread I have been attempting to distill down the unique values of a particular approach that I personally find rewarding and enjoyable. It's not the only approach that I find rewarding. It's not the only approach that I think people should find rewarding. I would encourage them to try it sometime, maybe in lieu of a board gaming night. I think we can enjoy many different things. I also think we should be careful not to condemn passion and thoughtful criticism. I get that I can be overzealous at times and be overly harsh in my criticism. I am trying to approach this thread thoughtfully.

So far I've enjoyed reading your posts even if I don't necessarily agree with them all... but I do think when we are fans of something, we tend to have a blindness to it's flaws or even other factors that influence why we enjoy it. That's what I am trying to explore... do these techniques and mechanics need a certain type of player, length of campaign, even state of mind to enjoy... if so that should be discussed along with the mechanics and technique. We have a poster [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION] who tried giving his players some authorial and narrative control and it flopped. but instead of us examining why this happened he is summarily dismissed by [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]. that to me is where we are blind to the faults of our own preferences.

If you feel I am trying to put your play in a box, please tell me. I do not want to do that. I hate when people try to put my play in a box. That's why the flexible vs. focused thing vexes me so. I have experienced a great deal of very real diversity of play and played games with people of widely different backgrounds and interests within the umbrella of using these techniques. I also feel it fails to consider the unspoken assumptions and expectations that go along with most forms of adventure gaming. Things like long campaigns, the group as a gestalt character, finding the story, character as ideal, and a culture focused on outcomes rather than playing to find out. I am not saying that's like a bad way to play. I do find it to be just as specific an experience. It's just that the 1990s created this highly specific culture of play that we tend to take for granted.

I don't think you've placed me in a box but then I haven't contributed enough about my playstyle for that to happen, mainly because as with the example above I don't believe some posters are here for a discussion or an exchange of ideas but more to prove their playstyle has all the advantages and not a single drawback... and yeah that conversation isn't really all that interesting to me.

Imaro

Legend
There needn't be any such a necessity: if the game already has resource-driven rules, for instance, they can simply be adapted.

I think this is kind of self evident so I figured it didn't need to be said.

They could decline to accumulate said resources - or to use them that way if they're an existing system being adapted to that purpose.

I'm not sure what the has to do with the point I was addressing in my post (mainly why one wouldn't prefer this particular play style) but yes you could choose play a game and only leverage certain rules for certain players... unless of course none of them want to use them.

'Better' is clearly subjective, but it's not like using one technique precludes others, so you don't need to decide which is better and use it exclusively. Not that I see that being acknowledged, either.

Actually I, and a few others did advocate for this earlier in the thread...

Tony Vargas

Legend
The OP is about D&D 5e...
The game the OP was talking about running was not, it was vaguely 'an FRPG...'
You'll notice this thread has been moved the the general forum.

The techniques that have been getting discussed are more typical of indie games than of any edition of D&D, though, so it's hardly an edition-war thread as you seemed to want to imply. Then again, the indie|D&D divide is even wider, if less vicious.

I think this is kind of self evident so I figured it didn't need to be said.
When you say something is necessary, it's not self-evident that it isn't - and if it were, what would be the point of saying it's necessary.

Anyway, it's not necessary to establish completely new mechanics to adopt some of the techniques that

but yes you could choose play a game and only leverage certain rules for certain players... unless of course none of them want to use them.
Or just use the same rules in different ways. The point being, there needn't be much (if any) rules-complexity burden or overhead in accommodating a range of techniques. If no player wanted to use a certain rule in a certain way, it simply doesn't get used that way.

We have a poster Sadras who tried giving his players some authorial and narrative control and it flopped. but instead of us examining why this happened he is summarily dismissed by Tony Vargas and pemerton.
I don't recall what pemerton had to say to that one, but I didn't dismiss it and did examine why it happened. It happened because someone with 25 years of ingrained experience using a different set of techniques didn't use the brand-new-to-him technique well, and the group as a whole dropped it rather than give it the same 25 years to get it right.

Actually I, and a few others did advocate for this earlier in the thread...
Cool, maybe we could get back to that?

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yeah I have definitely been getting an... expose the unwashed masses/poor deprived roleplayers (which seems to be any D&D player who doesn't prefer 4e) to these superior techniques... vibe by some posters. Instead of an open exchange between the differing styles that's actually about trading and exploring the merits and pitfalls of both approaches. It's why I've mostly been lurking during this discussion.

Or... you could read it as people passionate about their gaming who are presenting their ideas strongly and in the best possible light. I don't get any real sense of superiority from posters on either sides, just impassioned arguments about their preferences.

That said, your points on what types of gamers different techniques engage is spot on.

Imaro

Legend
Or... you could read it as people passionate about their gaming who are presenting their ideas strongly and in the best possible light. I don't get any real sense of superiority from posters on either sides, just impassioned arguments about their preferences.

That said, your points on what types of gamers different techniques engage is spot on.

You could be right here... I just get a little suspicious when something is presented without any flaws or drawbacks.

Imaro

Legend
The game the OP was talking about running was not, it was vaguely 'an FRPG...'
You'll notice this thread has been moved the the general forum.

The techniques that have been getting discussed are more typical of indie games than of any edition of D&D, though, so it's hardly an edition-war thread as you seemed to want to imply. Then again, the indie|D&D divide is even wider, if less vicious.

When you say something is necessary, it's not self-evident that it isn't - and if it were, what would be the point of saying it's necessary.

Anyway, it's not necessary to establish completely new mechanics to adopt some of the techniques that

Or just use the same rules in different ways. The point being, there needn't be much (if any) rules-complexity burden or overhead in accommodating a range of techniques. If no player wanted to use a certain rule in a certain way, it simply doesn't get used that way.

Cool, maybe we could get back to that?

I think we're talking past each other and I tend to think it's because you comment on snippets of posts without regard for the context of the original post... so I'm not sure there's much meaningful discussion to be had about any of the above quotes.

Remove ads