• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Juggernaut

Revised Juggernaut

Obviously nine months is a long time to wait to respond to questions, so I apologise.

Attached is a revised Juggernaut class, all 30 levels with paragon paths and feats, which addresses issues raised here and in playtesting the class for two ongoing campaigns and a few pick-up games.

The only things not directly answered is one of balance, specifically for the Juggernaut powers that allow you to pick up low-level daily and encounter powers as souped-up higher-level powers. Now balance is a tricky thing, even in 4e, and I haven't seen this class in as much high-level gameplay as I'd like. That said, yes I think the powers are balanced, and I specifically wrote then to give high-level Juggernauts options other classes don't have.

The main reasons I suspect no one else is using a similar mechanic for any other classes are power creep and reprinting. When you give a class an ability that works off any other power of the class that meets a specific definition, you have to keep those powers in mind when you do anything new for the class. If the Juggernaut was getting new powers in miniatures sets or a Houserules Power splatbook, one of those new powers could become unbalanced with this option.

And of course, those powers let you do an old cool power at higher level, rather than letting you do brand-new cool things. I think that's fine for one class, but if every class did it you'd lose room for dozens of new, cool powers.

If anyone has futher comments or questions, feel free to post them here. I won't wait 9 months before checking in on this thread again.

Attachments

• Juggernaut (revised).pdf
    172.1 KB · Views: 140

Rawhide

First Post
Obviously nine months is a long time to wait to respond to questions, so I apologize

No problem! I love love LOVE getting a free class from someone with real 4e design credits! I took time to look at the new version, and I do now have some questions.

I notice at your blog you mention doing Hybrid Class rules from some things. Are there Hybrid Class Juggernaut rules? because those would ROCK!

Now that PHBII is out, is there anything yu would do different for the Juggernaut?

Have you written any Jugg-specific magic items? I'm using the Jugg in my game, and the players want to know if there are magic items specifically for this class?

Do you have any other 30-level classes you'd like to share? (Grin)

Again, many thanks!

Remove ads