• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

July & Beyond

Shroomy

Adventurer
I think the complaints are misplaced (not that there's no validity to the dearth of epic level content right now). The Neverwinter Campaign Setting is a video game tie-in, which means its primarily a way to get people who play the videogame interested in the PnP RPG. It totally makes sense that you'd make it heroic tier, since I don't see a lot of PnP newbies jumping straight away into the epic tier.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Neverwinter might make sense at heroic.

The abbey one really doesn't. Especially not with Neverwinter coming out at the same time.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I think the complaints are misplaced (not that there's no validity to the dearth of epic level content right now). The Neverwinter Campaign Setting is a video game tie-in, which means its primarily a way to get people who play the videogame interested in the PnP RPG. It totally makes sense that you'd make it heroic tier, since I don't see a lot of PnP newbies jumping straight away into the epic tier.

How long do you think in the video game you'll be in the heroic teir?

Riastlin

First Post
How long do you think in the video game you'll be in the heroic teir?

That's not really the point. The point is that somebody new to D&D and playing for the first time is almost certainly going to start out in heroic tier, probably level 1. In fact, whenever there's a post along the lines of:

"I'm a first time DM and even though we've only played 2 sessions, its clear my players are total powergamers. Heck, they are only level 16, and they are making TONS of attacks for massive damage. My monsters don't stand a chance!"

The general response is "Dude, don't start at paragon for your first campaign."

That being said, I agree with you that WotC really, really, really, needs to provide some epic content and that it has reached a "chicken or the egg" point with regard to epic play. I just am not convinced that Neverwinter is the place to provide that content. Either a) the PCs will be turned to paste if they make a wrong turn or b) they'll be wondering why they're needed since there are all these super-powerful NPCs running around. Of course, this can often be true of FR games in general if you are not careful, but I digress.

Again, I agree that there needs to be some epic content, but I think its more than a bit disingenuous to imply that any non-paragon/epic content that's release is a failure. Unfortunately, there are people starting to take this position.

Shag

Explorer
No there has definitely been a downturn in output.
What happened to Dungeon magazine? Its down to 2 adventures an issue now and the rest of the issue is stuff that should be in Dragon.

Hardly any new adventures coming out.

Basically once I'm done the adventure path (Darksun) I'm in, I'm out of adventures.

Back in 3E we had a dungeon magazine that provided all my needs, with 4-6 moduals a month supplemented by a big published adventure from time to time I always had a surplus of games.

Once I'm out of games that are easily converted to Darksun, I'm out. It's either start up a new campaign or switch to something else.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I dunno, I know a lot of folks that play MMOs, and according to them, there are many players that just powerlevel their way into the level cap to get to all the "good stuff."

Granted D&D doesn't work that way, but if you're coming from an MMO, you might not know that right away. To a certain crowd, starting at Epic or even level 30 might be expected, or desirable (in their heads).

It might make sense to capitalize on that mentality by releasing new "content" by tier so those who've finished Heroic have something to go to right away, and likewise with Epic tier after that.

Now that I've said all that, I think it's a terrible idea to skip all the Heroic and Paragon content, so it's probably for the best that this box is Heroic, but it would be nice to see more support for Paragon and especially Epic. Epic Tier doesn't hold much interest for me, personally, but I sympathize with those for whom that is interesting.

the Jester

Legend
Gah. So all the releases we know about are heroic?

I barely bought MV2 because of this, and I'm a whore for monsters.

I have a feeling that my gaming purchases are going to continue to decline, since nothing really seems worthwhile for my group (hitting mid-paragon at this point).

JoeGKushner

First Post
That's not really the point. The point is that somebody new to D&D and playing for the first time is almost certainly going to start out in heroic tier, probably level 1.

So we're assuming that these products are for first time players? Who have skipped past the adventures in the Monster Vault, the boxed DMG bit and other advnetures and have picked up their Essentials books and are now here?

I'm going to disagree.

Again, I agree that there needs to be some epic content, but I think its more than a bit disingenuous to imply that any non-paragon/epic content that's release is a failure. Unfortunately, there are people starting to take this position.

Theyu are failure because they'r'e, as the old joke about critics and movies go, "not for you." i.e. not for me. If WoTC is bound and determined to not support Epic or even Paragon play, how long are those of us who are NOT first time players supposed to support them? I support companies that come out with things I want to buy, not things that they want me to buy. Sometimes there is overlap between the two but assuming that after months of Dungeon adventurers and the prepacked adventurers that come with the relaunched D&D via Essentials and that everyone is still NEW to the game? That's bound for failure.

Remove ads