• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

July & Beyond

Gah. So all the releases we know about are heroic?

I barely bought MV2 because of this, and I'm a whore for monsters.

I have a feeling that my gaming purchases are going to continue to decline, since nothing really seems worthwhile for my group (hitting mid-paragon at this point).

That's a shame since MV2 is possibly the best Monster book they've put out.

the Jester

Legend
That's a shame since MV2 is possibly the best Monster book they've put out.

Only if you're running heroic tier or specifically using Nentir Vale or want to import all those organizations. For someone who runs his own homebrew and whose party is 12th-13th level, and who uses minis instead of counters, MV2 offers a mere 34 monsters of equal/higher level for the rest of my campaign. :(

Note that I said I barely bought it. Every other monster book so far has been more of a "getitgetitgetit!!!!" for me (except Draconomicon 2).

Don't get me wrong, I like the book and the monsters vary from good to great; but the content, in terms of usability for me in my campaign, sucks butt. And I really don't feel like I should hit the reset button just to use the new (heroic tier) monsters in there.

MM3 had tons of usable awesome and wins against MV2 hands-down simply for having monsters all the way up to epic.

Heck, I'd even give a book as old as Open Grave the edge over MV2, despite its obsolete mechanics, simply by virtue of the cool variety of monsters and levels in there.

So yeah, I paid about $1 per usable monster, and that's assuming that I don't weed anything out of those 34 monsters as unsuitable for my campaign. On reflection, it's pretty far from a great value for my campaign as it stands.

That being said, it still does not make up for the fact that there is almost no epic support, particularly in the form of adventures. There does still need to be some support there.

I agree and if this book sells well, I hope location/adventure site/ mini campaigns continue but with some at paragon, and I really would love a city of brass boook for epic...

MrMyth

First Post
So we're assuming that these products are for first time players? Who have skipped past the adventures in the Monster Vault, the boxed DMG bit and other advnetures and have picked up their Essentials books and are now here?

I'm going to disagree.

I think that the Neverwinter campaign setting, which is clearly intended as an easy tie-in for new players who might be captured by the upcoming video game, is absolutely aimed (in part) at first time players, and that is a perfectly legitimate reason to have it focused on the heroic tier.

I don't think there is any good excuse for Gardmore Abbey to not be higher level, though. But now seems to be when WotC has acknowledged the need for epic content which, given development time, probably means next year is when we'll start seeing (hopefully) a heavier focus on it.

Lindeloef

First Post
@ all those people saying "gradmore abbey shouldn't be a heroic adventure"
i would bet, that WotC will publish a paragon Adventure next (at least the next one set in the Nentir Vale). for Level 11 to 1x.
So you can play it after the Abbey adventure.

Dice4Hire

First Post
@ all those people saying "gradmore abbey shouldn't be a heroic adventure"
i would bet, that WotC will publish a paragon Adventure next (at least the next one set in the Nentir Vale). for Level 11 to 1x.
So you can play it after the Abbey adventure.

And that has nothing to do with Gardmore Abbey not being Paragon.

Does a Deck of Many Things really fit a heroic level game. I o not really think so.

Lindeloef

First Post
And that has nothing to do with Gardmore Abbey not being Paragon.

Does a Deck of Many Things really fit a heroic level game. I o not really think so.

Yeah, I have no Idea what the deck can do. Google'd it but I only found a comment hat in 4e there is a version of it in a Dungeon Magazine. Having no D&D Insider Account I can't read that Article. But it's supposed to be a paragon item. So I can see your point...

If the one in Gradmore Abbey is the same in the Dungeon Article.

Quick question: does the deck have to be complete to unfold it's complete power?

Aegeri

First Post
I am interested in Guardmore Abbey, but a deck of many things in a HEROIC tier campaign? COME ON WIZARDS. God, they are mangling EVERYTHING into heroic tier these days.

As for the Neverwinter "Campaign" setting, they successfully killed all interest I had in it and it's going to be one of the first things I won't buy for certain. I have zero, absolutely 100% zero interest in a heroic tier campaign setting. This proves in my mind that Dark Sun was the pinnacle: It's downhill from there.

Firmly unimpressed, but I will be richer for that.

Last edited:

Remove ads