D&D (2024) Jumping

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd be interested in knowing what games do handle taking 100% of your movement allowance, then adding in jumping distance on top of that. Because I'd end every move in a jump in those games.
The problem isn't that the jump is added to your move allowance, it's that your move allowance isn't long enough to allow for a reasonable run-up to a jump plus the jump itself, even though in the fiction a run-and-jump can easily be done in six seconds (though ten seconds would be better). If the move allowance was long enough that both run-up and jump could happen without exceeding it then the issue goes away.

As it sits, though, the game rules twist the fiction into knots.

Yaarel

He Mage
The problem isn't that the jump is added to your move allowance, it's that your move allowance isn't long enough to allow for a reasonable run-up to a jump plus the jump itself, even though in the fiction a run-and-jump can easily be done in six seconds (though ten seconds would be better). If the move allowance was long enough that both run-up and jump could happen without exceeding it then the issue goes away.

As it sits, though, the game rules twist the fiction into knots.
Heh. If you want the round to be 9 seconds − I am all in!

1% of a day is roughly 15 minutes. 1% of this 15 minutes is roughly 9 seconds. I love this metric time.

15 minute "rests" and "rituals" are a useful amount of time to do something.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One thing I'd love to see addressed/tweaked is jumping rules. It drives me crazy that the distance you can jump is a fixed number, and you always make it that distance, and you never make it one foot more. Could we get some slightly richer rules?

Two features I'd like to see:
1) A formula for setting DCs, based on distance jumped.
2) An option for sometimes landing prone. Could be as simple as a 2nd ability test with the same DC. Could also be something like "If you fail by 3 or less, you can choose to succeed by land prone."

Or....you can use your bonus action to roll with Advantage (or just roll with Advantage out of combat) but you have to succeed with both dice to land on your feet.
Yeah, this is a point of contention with me since I was a long and high jumper in high school and college.

This is what we currently have for our jump/movement rules:

1661385942430.png

If you look at the rules for jumping, a STR 16 character can do the following:

Jump 16 feet or less, no check. You must move 32 feet prior to the jump (using the Running special movement).
With a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check, they can jump 22 feet (16 + 3x2). You must move at least 44 feet (Running special movement).
With a DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check, they can jump 28 feet (16 + 3x4). You must move at least 56 feet (Running special movement).

We don't have jumping distances count towards your movement limits.

We don't have the Dash action anymore, it has been replaced by Running special movement.

Anyway, we had more complex rules and settled on this as a middle ground. Obviously, a STR 20 character could jump up to 40 feet with this system, allowing for PCs to go beyond real life limits.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Yeah, this is a point of contention with me since I was a long and high jumper in high school and college.

This is what we currently have for our jump/movement rules:

View attachment 259001

If you look at the rules for jumping, a STR 16 character can do the following:

Jump 16 feet or less, no check. You must move 32 feet prior to the jump (using the Running special movement).
With a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check, they can jump 22 feet (16 + 3x2). You must move at least 44 feet (Running special movement).
With a DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check, they can jump 28 feet (16 + 3x4). You must move at least 56 feet (Running special movement).

We don't have jumping distances count towards your movement limits.

We don't have the Dash action anymore, it has been replaced by Running special movement.

Anyway, we had more complex rules and settled on this as a middle ground. Obviously, a STR 20 character could jump up to 40 feet with this system, allowing for PCs to go beyond real life limits.

If jumping doesn’t count toward movement, doesn’t it mean you can always get more movement by jumping at the end?

Maybe if there were always a chance of landing prone, with any remaining movement lost, it would alleviate abuse.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
One thing I'd love to see addressed/tweaked is jumping rules. It drives me crazy that the distance you can jump is a fixed number, and you always make it that distance, and you never make it one foot more. Could we get some slightly richer rules?

Two features I'd like to see:
1) A formula for setting DCs, based on distance jumped.
2) An option for sometimes landing prone. Could be as simple as a 2nd ability test with the same DC. Could also be something like "If you fail by 3 or less, you can choose to succeed by land prone."

Or....you can use your bonus action to roll with Advantage (or just roll with Advantage out of combat) but you have to succeed with both dice to land on your feet.

Er...Athletics skill says you make an Athletics check vs a DC when, "You try to jump an unusually long distance." The formula is the standard difficulty class chart at the beginning of the skill checks section.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Er...Athletics skill says you make an Athletics check vs a DC when, "You try to jump an unusually long distance." The formula is the standard difficulty class chart at the beginning of the skill checks section.

True. Not that "unusually long" is very informative.

Remove ads