D&D 5E June 17 Legend & Lore - Playtesting Dragons

Nymrohd

First Post
So we are suddenly OK with giving up on a good part of the game because some people don't plan to use it? Epic has been around in some shape or size in every edition and for quite a few of the classic campaigns, epic is a big deal of their lore. But heck, when we don't like something we can forget all about continuity.

S

Sunseeker

I totally hope it is, and high level play begins around 10th level.

I have never considered 10th level "high" in any game. Ever.

I don't mind if "Epic" play is something released later, but there's no way DDN is going to get me to start thinking of level 10 in the same way I used to think of level 20.

Obryn

Hero
I haven't seen much indication that any level of Next so far is particularly "epic"? Bounded accuracy is putting a bit of a kibosh on it.

S

Sunseeker

I haven't seen much indication that any level of Next so far is particularly "epic"? Bounded accuracy is putting a bit of a kibosh on it.

That's why 21-30 would be idea for it because it's designed differently, as something that does beyond normal play. I'd hardly call DDN's current 11-20 "epic".

Dedekind

Explorer
This seems more like an encounter entry than a monster entry. Sure, the monster has the usual stats, but there are a lot of exceptions. Approaching legendary creatures as a whole encounter instead of a single monster makes a lot of sense. Though it does undermine the epic craziness of "you are attacked by a flight of dragons."

Nymrohd

First Post
This seems more like an encounter entry than a monster entry. Sure, the monster has the usual stats, but there are a lot of exceptions. Approaching legendary creatures as a whole encounter instead of a single monster makes a lot of sense. Though it does undermine the epic craziness of "you are attacked by a flight of dragons."
Well a flight of dragons will not have the lair abilities.

Also if a flight of dragons is level appropriate, I'd argue that you are high enough in level that the individual dragons no longer count as legendary and you could use some watered down version (of appropriately high level). Buff the base damage and health and remove the extra actions.

Remove ads