• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

June - What are you reading?

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Mallus said:
Just finished Superluminal by Tony Daniel. It's the sequel to Metaplanetary and hands-down, the best, most slam-bang entertaining pair of books that no-one but me and my friend Jeff have read.
Sigh... I read and very much liked the original short story in Dozois' collection years back so was really excited when Metaplanetary came out. It was a great book but I felt a bit betrayed at the end when it didn't wrap up because there was no mention anywhere on the cover or first few pages of this being an (unfinished) series. :mad:

So I was pretty happy a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon Superluminal in the local library. Finally a chance to learn what happens to everyone!

But they did it to me again! Thanks to the massive appendecies at the back of the book, the book just stops a good 75 pages from the back of the book. There's no wrap up of the story, and in fact it ends just as things are starting to get particularly interesting. And from what I'm reading online no further books are planned. :\

Just trying to save someone from the disappointment I faced...

Michael Tree

First Post
I finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay last week. Now I'm almost finished Snow Crash. I haven't read any Stephenson before, and it wasn't as wahoo as I was expecting, but it was still a fun read. On the side, I'm reading short stories from The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke, and The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie. I saw Alexie do a live reading/performance last week, and literally couldn't breathe from laughing so hard. The book is much more depressing than he is, but in a good, deep way, and it has plenty of the funny too.

Next up, I'm probably going to read The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's one of the only books by him that I haven't read yet.

Krug

Newshound
I picked up Digital Fortress by Dan Brown at the hotel's book dump and wished I hadn't. Urgh bloody awful. At the Paris airport only Angels and Demons stood out and I bought it. It was a bit better, though some parts still made me roll my eyes. A Mach 15 plane... yeah right.

Also read Ian Rankin's The Flood which is quite a good Scottish gothic story, as well as being his first novel. Not exceptional, but not bad either.

Vigilance

Explorer
Essential Avengers #3. God I love this series. It's especially nice to be able to read them. My originals are too expensive to read lol.

Chuck

Tolen Mar

First Post
So I wrapped up Starship troopers (working ten hour days really cut into my reading time and slowed me down).

Picked up the hobbit, but put it back down. I'm not ready to read it through a fourth time yet.

So now I have 'The Butlerian Jihad.'

What did everyone think of the Dune Prequels? I've read Dune, and started to read Messiah, but have't gotten any further in the series than that.

Pozatronic

First Post
Michael Tree said:
Next up, I'm probably going to read The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's one of the only books by him that I haven't read yet.

Kay is such a great writer. Most of his work has more of an "historical" feel than a high fantasy feel, except for this one (and maybe Tigana). The first book in the trilogy is called "The Summer Tree", and it's really good. The only things I don't like about it is his magic system and the fact that there's a dwarf named Matt Sorrin. I'm sorry, but that always bugged me. I'm pretty sure this series is a commentary on how high fantasy is always borrowing from Tolkien, but maybe I'm just looking into it too much? It hits a snag in the second book, and by the third it gets a little heavy handed. Still, it's worth the read, and even if it's his worst work it's still better than 89% of fantasy that's out there. If you haven't read Ysabel yet, make you sure you hold off because I hear there are some cameos in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads