• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[June] What are you reading?

theburningman

First Post
WayneLigon said:
After bouncing around to three or four books, reading the first 20 pages and deciding 'not now', I think I've settled down with The Devil in the Dust by Chaz Brenchley. The first of six (!) Outremer books, but they're short books. I understand that when originally published in the UK it was a trilogy; wish they'd done that with the American imprint as well.

I liked this one well enough to read the others when I have the time.

Cordo said:
Still working on Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. BTW, anyone who likes their fantasy dark and grim with complex, coherent, and facinating world building in the background, Gardens of the Moon is just being released in hardback in the states. In another thread Pants was saying it's available on Walmart's site for about $15. I think Black Company fans will especially enjoy Erikson's work.

I just got Gardens of the Moon for my birthday today. Been looking forward to this since January, but I just couldn't stand bear to shell out $15.00 for a paperback on Amazon. Too bad about the sucky Tor cover art, though. Hmm, "sucky Tor cover art." Is that redundant?

LizardWizard

Explorer
The Devils, Idiot, Crime and Punishment by Fedor Dostoyevsky.
Anna Karenina , The Resurrection by Lev Tolstoy.
The Seagull , Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekhov.
The Adventures of Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding.
Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.
Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne.
I'm not kidding, I'm just getting ready for thorough exams in Russian and Foreign Literature :p
As for fantasy and sci-fi, I'm reading the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouserby Fritz Leiber and Conan stories by Robert Howard and L. Sprague de Camp...

haiiro

First Post
Finishing up The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett (the only Discworld book I hadn't read yet).

I usually don't do this, but I've also got two other books on the go: Leonardo's Mountain of Clams & the Diet of Worms, by Umberto Eco (long essays on natural history), and The Confusion, by Neal Stephenson. Confusion, like Quicksilver before it, is so dense and so caught up in explaining things at length that I find I can't spend much time with it. ;)

On the gaming side of things, I'm reading GRR's Thieves' Quarter in bits and pieces (I love it!). Complete Divine, BoED and Monte's Legacy of the Dragons should be arriving from Amazon tomorrow, along with the indie Sorcerer RPG -- I can't wait to tuck into them. :D

I just finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books. Unplanned, yes.

Also, just an hour or two ago I finished reading Elizabeth Barber's The Mummies of Ürümchi. I expect to read next The Tarim Mummies on the same subject by Victor Mair and J.P. Mallory. After that, I picked up a Stephen Brust book at the library, but the title escapes me.

And I'm listening to The Servants of the Twilight by Dean R. Koontz from Books on Tape at my library in the car. I'm only a tape or two into it so far, but it seems to be developing nicely into a weird, creepy thriller.

I'm also still working on The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian which I just pick up from time to time, read a story or two and then put down again for weeks at a time. I really enjoy the informal format of it, to be honest with you.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads