D&D 5E Jungles of Chult hexcrawl setup

pukunui

Legend
EDIT: See post #31 for the most up-to-date version of my plans.

Hi all,

I'm close to completing a two-year+ campaign, and my thoughts are turning towards what I'll run next. I ran Tomb of Annihilation a while back, and while I enjoyed it, I found that the urgency of the death curse meant that my players weren't so keen to explore all the little nooks and crannies. The focus of the campaign was finding the Soulmonger, and what exploration they did do was focused primarily on finding / getting to Omu. Ever since, I've been wanting to revisit Chult as more of an open-ended hexcrawl exploration adventure.

The thing is: I've never run an open-ended hexcrawl exploration adventure before. My campaigns have always had a story element to them that makes it easy to draw the players in and get their PCs hooked into resolving the plot (be it defeating Strahd to find a way out of Barovia or ending the threat posed by rampaging giants or what-have-you).

The premise is that the PCs are all going to Chult for the first time. They will all be adventurous sorts keen to explore the great unknown jungle. Perhaps they are naive and don't fully understand its dangers, but they are clearly not the timid, stay-at-home types and will not likely turn down opportunities to venture into the jungle, either to find out what's there or to obtain some wonderful treasure.

The campaign will begin with the PCs on board a ship bound for Chult. They will meet Aremag the dragon turtle on the way to Port Nyanzaru. They will spend a few levels exploring the city and getting the lay of the land (including the fact that they will need to obtain a charter from the Flaming Fists in order to be able to loot any jungle ruins). They will then be presented with various quests, and they can choose which ones they want to go on and what order they want to do them in.

So the question is: why are these particular PCs doing these things together? What is the glue that is holding the party together?

Yes, I will talk to my players about this and get them to do some brainstorming. However, I must acknowledge that they are a passive bunch and struggle to come up with ideas on their own, so I'd like to be able to present them with a few suggestions for inspirational purposes, at the very least.

Some ideas I've come up with:
*The PCs are all friends / relations who want to seek gold and glory together
*The PCs are all friends / relations who want to "get rich quick" in order to gain enough capital to start a business back home
*The PCs are strangers who got to know each other en route and have merely decided to band together for survival
*The PCs are all members of the same organisation -- either one of the five factions or an explorers' society (like how Artus Cimber was a member of Cormyr's Society of Stalwart Adventurers when he went to Chult for the first time).

Any and all constructive suggestions are most welcome!

Thank you.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Perhaps someone is searching for a lost (insert loved one here) who disappeared into the jungle (X poignant amount of time ago)? Variations on the same theme - find the signet ring of your (insert ancestor X) lost generations ago in (insert unknown place name here).

There's nothing wrong with just being an adventuring company either, and offload the why do you want to visit sunny Chult question onto your players as something to address during character creation.

Shiroiken

Legend
I would suggest that each player come up with a reason why they want to explore Chult. If they all plan to explore Chult for their own reasons (possibly with some team-ups), it would make sense they'd discover it on the sail there, and they decide to work together. This isn't just for survival, but each agreeing to help the others achieve their goals. Some suggested goals:

• Seeking a lost tribe
  • Seeking a lost relic
  • Seeking a lost person
  • Seeking to loot temples/ruins
  • Seeking glory by hunting powerful beasts

pukunui

Legend
Has anyone read/played Lost City of Mezro? I'm wondering if that would work well as part of a hexcrawl:

I grabbed it as part of WotC's free lockdown giveaways. I haven't read it yet but it looks like it has some useful content that can be added to pad out / extend a ToA / Chult campaign. It looks like a good chunk of it is intended for use after the Soulmonger has been destroyed but it says it can be adapted for use in other campaigns, so I presume you could use it even if you're not using the death curse / Soulmonger / etc.

There are some little mini quests in it that can be used earlier on. The later stuff appears to be centered around helping Artus find the real Mezro so he can reunite with his wife.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
  • My uncle / grandfather went to Chult and never returned. We heard the sicknesses got him. I want to dedicate a proper grave (if possible) or memorial (if not).
  • My best friend went off chasing the Soulmonger and never returned. I want to find him.
  • My business mentor heard rumors about Chult during the search for the Soulmonger. He sent me to find out more.
  • Way back when, Chult was said to be full of gems gold and riches, also full of jungle and diseases and monsters. I want to find out if the first part of that is still true.
  • Chult is supposed to have jungle plants that carry medicinal or chemical or semi-magical properties. I want to find out more, start a plantation to provide a steady supply back home.
  • My nickname is Indiana Jones and I don't need a reason to go investigate stuff in the jungle, that's what I do for a living !
  • Research the old-time regional god Ubtao and find out what you can about him and his worship rituals.
  • Dirty tricks or economy of effort: can I set up shop as a "pirate" and collect a toll from ships sailing between Chult and the civilized lands?

Remove ads