D&D 5E Jungles of Chult hexcrawl setup

SuperTD

Explorer
My party decided to all play tortles, so I had them sent on a mission by the village elder who wanted to speak to all her children again before she died. The party started in Port Nyanzaru looking to pick up the trail of the four children they were looking for, and found out the last places they'd each been heading to in the jungle (all conveniently placed in different directions of course).

I didn't even mention the death curse until further into the hex crawl and they'd had time to explore and chart part of the jungle, by which time they'd discovered one of the children they were searching for had been captured by the Yuan-Ti, so they had a reason both to head to Omu, and to try and solve the death curse (the dying elder would lose her soul forever).

So, my recommendations based purely off my own play experience which went well:

1. Give the party a mutual acquaintance they care for coming to the end of their days (hopefully the party will buy into this one, as you won't be able to have them naturally bond with someone over time and THEN find out they are dying).

2. Give them specific goals in different parts of the jungle, but not exactly landmarks so they just have a general direction to go in. More detailed directions could be "2 weeks down the river Soshenstar then head west", or "Deep within the Kobold Mountains".

3. Don't give them an immediate timer or they will be pressured into not exploring the map and bee-lining for Omu.

4. Give strong hints of an interesting location in the area if the PCs come within one hex of a location of interest. This means Each landmark effectively can be found by walking into one of seven hexes, rather than one single hex. This means they are much less likely to walk straight past adventure sites while passing within spitting distance of them.

5. Be aware that the random jungle encounters can be absolutely lethal for low level parties. My group went straight into the jungle at level one, and one character was dealt 30 points of damage by a stealthed Jaculi in a surprise round. We all agreed to ignore the massive damage rules at the very low levels because of this, mostly because the death was unfair and we didn't want the faff of making a new character in session two, after the first encounter. I know you've said they'll level up exploring the city, but consider what will happen if they instead decide to just Leroy Jenkins out into the wilderness without exploring the city. As written, there's actually very little to do to gain experience in the city so presumably you're planning to add your own content there.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Make them all part of the same expedition, with a general goal of unearthing treasure. Chult is famous for its ruins and riches. You can make some NPCs to serve as the heads of the expedition....maybe a third or fourth son of a noble house who’s decided to earn his name this way?

Add a couple of advisors and you got yourself some built in quest givers to help provoke the PCs to action if needed.

I’d also give some secret motives and such to some of the NPCs, and probably also some PCs, too.

I ran a campaign exactly like this back in the third edition days and it remains one of my favorite D&D campaigns I’ve ever run.

diegherkum

I always roll 2's. I'm not even good to do it bad
I'm sure they have lost a couple of characters (or more). Maybe they can go back for their corpses to resurrect them?

I do like the idea of a Chult hexcrawl, but if I ever ran one I think I'd ask the players to consider playing native chultan characters, as it gives more of a tie in to the setting and makes hooks easier.

pukunui

Legend
I'm sure they have lost a couple of characters (or more). Maybe they can go back for their corpses to resurrect them?
Huh?!

I do like the idea of a Chult hexcrawl, but if I ever ran one I think I'd ask the players to consider playing native chultan characters, as it gives more of a tie in to the setting and makes hooks easier.
Maybe. I feel like having them be natives takes some of the mystery away.

I did notice in my game that because they were all tortles, I got a lot of "Well since I'm from Chult I probably know all about mysterious ancient item/location/npc right?
Hopefully you are exaggerating a bit, and the question was more along the lines of "As a native of Chult, what do I know about this item/location/NPC?"

To which I'd have replied "As a tortle you aren't very familiar with the ancient items/locations/people of the human Chultan culture, which this appears to be. However, you have heard tales of an ancient serpent cult lurking deep in the southern jungles. Some say it was destroyed by the Chultans long ago. Others claim that it was merely driven underground - possibly literally, in that the cultists may have fled into the Underdark. This thing does seem to be very old, and there is a definite snake motif ..."

That seems at least as much fun to me as:

"As a visitor to Chult, what do I know about this item/location/NPC?"

"Nothing."

"Ok, I ask the guide what he knows about it."

The guide examines the item/location/NPC thoughtfully for a moment. "There are tales of an ancient serpent cult ..."

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Port Nyanzaru becomes a major hub of interest, intrigue, and adventure during this time. The death curse is a major event that affects all of the Realms, and thus attracts a great deal of attention, especially adventurers. The promise of opportunity, adventure, and wealth is enough for most young, naive and foolhardy types. But there is also great suffering among the less powerful, and less noble schemes by powerful groups who are ever-seeking to take advantage of a situation.

Check out Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else. There is an introductory adventure that involves some nefarious factions attempting to stake a claim as the party arrives in Port Nyanzaru for the first time.

Remove ads