D&D 5E Just a reality check.

ccooke

Adventurer
It's pretty clear that 5e is getting a better reception than 4e did, on release... at least, here. There are other fora I read which are much less welcoming, but even in those there are more people being positive than I remember for 4e.

It's extremely hard to compare, and I'm almost certainly wrong, but this feels a little more positive than 3e. But as I said, the internet of today is just not comparable.

Uchawi

First Post
It is too early to tell either way. Wait until the PHB and DMG are released to get a more accurate gauge on how successful 5E is at capturing the essence of D&D, while bridging that into some of the different play styles each edition has represented. I believe any type of comments in regards to basic will be hard to judge, because the basic edition is a stripped down product.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I would say that without question I like 5e better than 4e.

That may not mean though that 5e earns more of my money than 4e did. 4e was riding the coattails of 3e,2e,and 1e.

I am waiting on the DMG at this point. I suspect I won't be happy with it but that is based purely on past wotc performance and Mike Mearls comments. I do hope I'm wrong. Nothing will change my opinion permanently until I see the books. I probably won't buy at all until the DMG though is out.

Nebulous

Legend
It is too early to tell either way. Wait until the PHB and DMG are released to get a more accurate gauge on how successful 5E is at capturing the essence of D&D, while bridging that into some of the different play styles each edition has represented. I believe any type of comments in regards to basic will be hard to judge, because the basic edition is a stripped down product.

Personally, I can tell from Basic Rules that 5th edition has captured the essence of D&D for me again and has moved just about as far from 4th edition as it possibly could, while taking some really good ideas from 4e and implementing them.

evilbob

Explorer
I can't imagine they are going to release a book with 10 pages of errata as soon as it hits shelves.
Hmmm... Actually, I can imagine exactly that. :) Seriously: they have a bad track record in this department.

I get that some people don't understand design choices which is fine, but at this point you are simply going to have to house rule whatever you want them to change.
This is definitely true, though.

Also, just for the record, I'm loving the new ruleset so far! I haven't played it yet but other than a few silly details that are easily houseruled, I love the streamlined nature of it.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Yeah, I know they have a track record but I really do think they are trying to get the rules down, with as little errata as possible. I think they know they completely messed up doing all that revision in 4th edition.

Paraxis

Explorer
Sure everyone complaining about things knows it is to late to do anything about it realy. The only hope is maybe something you want will be a rules module in the DMG. But the internet is for complaining about things, and after 2 years of playtesting to be handed this thing called Basic and we are supposed to thank them for not doing a good job is BS. I will play it because it is D&D, easy to get a game going and have members of my group that will play it for brand loyalty, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Damage values for spells and monsters are too high, hit points for PC's too low.

Armor and weapons charts are crap.

Very little class symmetry, like the rogue should have something that recharges with a short rest.

Top three off the top of my head, but I reserve the right to complain about anything, and I don't care if it will change anything I just want to be heard.

Now do my complaints mean it is not an ok game no, I will run it and play it no game is perfect, but given the amount of time and money they had to make something amazing they served us up a reheated microwave dinner when they should have given us prime steak.

Evenglare

Adventurer
S I will play it because it is D&D, easy to get a game going and have members of my group that will play it for brand loyalty, but that doesn't mean I have to like it..

Why are you playing a game you don't like? Dude, it's a hobby find something that you enjoy doing in your free time. It sounds like you are just going to be more bitter about it the more you play. Clearly the game is not for you and that's OK. Not everyone has to like everything, I hope you find a game you do like though!

I will run it and play it no game is perfect, but given the amount of time and money they had to make something amazing they served us up a reheated microwave dinner when they should have given us prime steak.

It's funny how someone's prime steak is someone else's reheated microwave dinner... :)

To each its own, I guess.

Remove ads