Just discovered Castles and Crusades

Andvari

Hero
A possible hack is making Challenge Base always the same number (16, for example), but if it's a prime attribute, you roll two d20s and pick the higher result.

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
A possible hack is making Challenge Base always 11, but if it's a prime attribute, you roll two d20s and pick the higher result.
Wow, that is generous! Poor spellcasters, haha.

I like the idea, but would use a CB 16.
Prime percentage of success is about the same, but gives Non-Prime a 10% boost.

Andvari

Hero
Wow, that is generous! Poor spellcasters, haha.

I like the idea, but would use a CB 16.
Prime percentage of success is about the same, but gives Non-Prime a 10% boost.
Oops yeah, my number doesn't work out - should have moved in the other direction as you did. Fixed... :)

Jahydin

Hero
@Charles Lowry
Had a couple more thoughts before heading for bed. So very sorry for the spam. Can you tell C&C gets me excited? :geek:

One, I play Prime/Non-Prime attributes' Challenge Base as a strong suggestion, but if makes sense at the time, I don't hesitate to treat a Prime check as Non-Prime or a Non-Prime checks as Prime. Very similar to the situations in 5E where you would reward Adv/Dis!

Think of Fighter who has a background in medicine trying to recall what plant relieves hangovers. Even his INT is Non-Prime, let them roll with a CB of 12 anyways!

Second, SIEGE checks seem dead simple at first, but the more you play it, the more you realize how powerful of a tool it can be in the hands of a creative DM.

Take the Ranger's use of traps. It allows the Ranger to make a Wisdom check to set snares and pits.

What if the Ranger wants to set up a more complicated trap, like something to trap an Ogre?
You could just say no since it isn't in the book. More interesting though is to rule all simple traps are CL 0; more complicated ones higher. For instance in this case you could rule CL 3 (Ogre's HD).

What if a Non-Ranger wants to set a simple trap?
Again, you could rule "no" since it isn't in the book, but what if a situation comes up where it would be a lot of fun to try? You could houserule on the fly that when a Ranger sets traps, the CL for the creature to avoid the trap is equal to the Ranger's Level; anyone else would always just set a CL 0 trap.
Further, you could rule that if the Ranger is successful on his check, the creature tripping the trap doesn't get a Save. A "failure" to the set up the trap still produces one, but it affords the creature a chance to Save (CL 0 maybe?).

Just too cool.

Charles Lowry

Explorer
@Charles Lowry
Had a couple more thoughts before heading for bed. So very sorry for the spam. Can you tell C&C gets me excited? :geek:

One, I play Prime/Non-Prime attributes' Challenge Base as a strong suggestion, but if makes sense at the time, I don't hesitate to treat a Prime check as Non-Prime or a Non-Prime checks as Prime. Very similar to the situations in 5E where you would reward Adv/Dis!

Think of Fighter who has a background in medicine trying to recall what plant relieves hangovers. Even his INT is Non-Prime, let them roll with a CB of 12 anyways!

Second, SIEGE checks seem dead simple at first, but the more you play it, the more you realize how powerful of a tool it can be in the hands of a creative DM.

Take the Ranger's use of traps. It allows the Ranger to make a Wisdom check to set snares and pits.

What if the Ranger wants to set up a more complicated trap, like something to trap an Ogre?
You could just say no since it isn't in the book. More interesting though is to rule all simple traps are CL 0; more complicated ones higher. For instance in this case you could rule CL 3 (Ogre's HD).

What if a Non-Ranger wants to set a simple trap?
Again, you could rule "no" since it isn't in the book, but what if a situation comes up where it would be a lot of fun to try? You could houserule on the fly that when a Ranger sets traps, the CL for the creature to avoid the trap is equal to the Ranger's Level; anyone else would always just set a CL 0 trap.
Further, you could rule that if the Ranger is successful on his check, the creature tripping the trap doesn't get a Save. A "failure" to the set up the trap still produces one, but it affords the creature a chance to Save (CL 0 maybe?).

Just too cool.
No issues, haha. I like the Seige Engine. I do like the idea of adapting advantages and disadvantages as a Seige mechanic.

There is a lot of flexibility in the system which is great. The first session flowed fairly well.

Next, the players begin Keep on the Borderlands (with some modifications thanks to Dungeon Craft).

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
My absolute favorite thing about C&C is that humans get three primes.

Which is huge.

It's a subtle way to encourage people to play them so the parties look more compositionally like they did back in the day where demihumans weren't as frequent because of various factors.

I hate, hate parties where there is maybe one human (if any) and everybody else is a Tabaxi/Aasimar/ Yuan-ti/Tiefling hybrid.

By making humans just so damn good in alot of situations it bumps things back the other way.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
My absolute favorite thing about C&C is that humans get three primes.

Which is huge.

It's a subtle way to encourage people to play them so the parties look more compositionally like they did back in the day where demihumans weren't as frequent because of various factors.

I hate, hate parties where there is maybe one human (if any) and everybody else is a Tabaxi/Aasimar/ Yuan-ti/Tiefling hybrid.

By making humans just so damn good in alot of situations it bumps things back the other way.
My old group from the 2e days gave humans +1 weapon proficiency & +1 non-weapon proficiency advancements just to make them on par w/demi-humans. When I first saw C&C that was one of the things that brought me into the fold so long ago.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I downloaded the free Player's Handbook 7th printing and the Monsters & Treasures 3rd printing. Do I need to upgrade to the most recent printings to play or can I run with these?
There have been extremely minimal changes between editions. I haven't kept up with the most recent versions, but the Troll Lords said online that the most recent printing just changes up the art.

Remove ads