D&D (2024) Just drop the backgrounds.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I wonder about that actually. How many posters here actually think they can change other people's minds about this stuff?
My mind can always be changed by anyone with an argument that makes any sense. However, I don't expect my challenging their argument will change their mind, but it might have them explain their case in such a way as to change mine.

Doesn't happen often, though. I'll grant you that.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
An Elf Ranger and a Dwarf Ranger do the same stuff with regards to the base class (sans the subclass features). But when you throw the subclasses into the mix, the only time they would do the same stuff is when both are members of the same subclass. There are quite a number of official WoTC subclasses for the Ranger class, and an untold number of Ranger subclasses that have been created by 3rd party companies and those D&D fans who like to homebrew.

But there is no generic Elf and no generic Dwarf in 5e. Instead there is quite a number of official elven and dwarven subraces, 3rd party company versions of both races, and homebrewed versions of both races.

The players with their DM's approval can choose any version of elf and dwarf they want. They can choose any version of the Ranger class or Ranger subclass (again with DM approval) they want.

So it's hard to say IMO if class matters way more than race.
It's not hard to say.

Pick a random character sheet from a pile of every character sheet ever made in 5e.

Highlight all the things in the sheet tied to class in yellow. Highlight everything from race in blue. Then everything from background in green.

The sheet will have more yellow than blue and more blue than green. The higher the level of the character the greater percentage will be yellow.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like to establish what are the points of agreement and disagreement, and hopefully refine what I have to say into a better form. If I bring someone round to my view, or they bring me round to theirs, that's kind of a bonus.
I'm generally not posting to convince the poster I'm responding to, but I like to imagine a well-presented argument might have an impact on people who are just lurking and reading.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not hard to say.

Pick a random character sheet from a pile of every character sheet ever made in 5e.

Highlight all the things in the sheet tied to class in yellow. Highlight everything from race in blue. Then everything from background in green.

The sheet will have more yellow than blue and more blue than green. The higher the level of the character the greater percentage will be yellow.
Notably in OneD&D, the percentage of green would be higher than blue.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
With so much of the character sheet devoted to character class, race becomes something of an afterthought, doesn't it?
Not to mention with floating ASI’s one of the main impacts of picking a species might have is gone, i know it’s convenient but is it meaningful?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not to mention with floating ASI’s one of the main impacts of picking a species might have is gone, i know it’s convenient but is it meaningful?
Sure, it's meaningful: RCe abilities are often flavorful and come up frequently. Still way less of an impact on play than Class, but not without some meaning.

Remove ads