D&D General Just Eat the Dang Fruit

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
In this case, yeah. I've played with a lot of people, and nearly all of them would have taken a saving throw with no in-game appearance into consideration.
The critical flaw in your reasoning here being that we don't actually have the faintest idea why these unspecified characters we know nothing about actually chose not to eat the fruit, however much you may assert otherwise. (Seeing as how that information has never been communicated to us). Only that their players witnessed the saving throw having been made beforehand.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The critical flaw in your reasoning here being that you don't actually have the faintest idea why these unspecified characters you know nothing about actually chose not to eat the fruit, however much you may assert otherwise. (Seeing as how that information had never been communicated to us). Only that their players witnessed the saving throw having been made beforehand.
That's true, but the urge to metagame is so strong that, lacking any other evidence, I feel comfortable assuming the saving throw was a powerful factor in the decision.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
That's true, but the urge to metagame is so strong that, lacking any other evidence, I feel comfortable assuming the saving throw was a powerful factor in the decision.
I think that's a fine assumption. But if there's an "in-universe explanation" that also works, does it matter?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Interesting. Do your players normally give a reason for why they don't do something? I imagine there's a lot of things that characters don't do, so it seems like that would take up a lot of time.
In a situation like the one you described, I would want an explanation, if the players really didn't take the save into consideration.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In a situation like the one you described, I would want an explanation, if the players really didn't take the save into consideration.
Why would you want an explanation? What purpose would it serve? What sorts of explanations would work for you in this situation? What happens if the player offers no explanation or one that doesn't sit well with you?

Remove ads