D&D General Just Eat the Dang Fruit

Vaalingrade

Legend
So, start from you would eat the fruit. A save gets called for. Is it okay to act on the meta-knowledge of a save being asked for, or not?
Yes. Because it is a game and also because it is gently correcting the DM out of picking the low hanging fruit.

If one plans to use the trite 'you are betrayed via being offered food and drink so the players will learn to never trust anyone and thus ruin any roleplaying opportunities for the rest of the campaign' card with a character already designated to always blunder into eating fruit... put the poison in the cheese.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
My fellow characters and I are exploring a lost city buried beneath the sands of a vast desert. Shortly into our first foray, we come across a well-appointed dining chamber and its occupant, a friendly and immaculately dressed fellow who invites us to partake of refreshment. He is joined by several servants who attend to us. Hospitality is big in the culture of this region, and though it's a bit odd that this dude and his servants are in this buried city, it's the first friendly face we've seen in a while.

Bowls of fruit and wine are brought out. My character, Brickyard Lot, has a flaw that reads: "If I see fruit, I eat it." This has notably gotten him into trouble before (and the party doesn't trust him with pocket goodberries). Anyway, naturally I'm eating the fruit before the bowls can be set down. "A wave of exhaustion washes over you," says the DM. "Make a Con save." I roll the dice and succeed, belching and happily continuing to eat.

The food and drink is offered to my comrades, of course, but having seen me need to roll a save, nobody wants to partake. Does anyone see any issue with this refusal? If so, what are the issues and how do you resolve them. If not, why not?

Let's consider another angle as well: Say my character has the aforementioned flaw, but isn't the first to eat the fruit. I witness another character make a saving throw after eating it. I then refuse to eat the fruit or drink the wine, despite the flaw. Does this change the calculation at all as to whether this is an issue that needs to be addressed?

This is exactly why I tell my players to roll d20 six times before the start of a session. I write down the results and can then use them (by covertly rolling d6 myself or picking one - oops, I said that out loud didn't I) in situations were rolling saving throws would alert the players. Fortunately, I rarely have to use them and I never use them in life-or-death situations.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So my character sees someone eat fruit, be fine, and continue to eat fruit, and decide not to eat it? Because of out-of-character knowledge that a saving through was made?

This is why I don't like metagaming. Your character doesn't have that knowledge, why would you react like that?
Not hungry, don’t like fruit, generally suspicious of food they didn’t watch being prepared, just to name a few entirely plausible reasons. I see people eat fruit and don’t eat any myself all the time, for reasons entirely unrelated to suspecting it might be poisoned.

MarkB

Legend
The OP said: "The food and drink is offered to my comrades, of course, but having seen me need to roll a save, nobody wants to partake."

So, starting from the assumption that the single reason not to partake was having seen the need to roll a save. Let's take the OP at face value and move on from there so we can be discussing the same thing.
The OP also said that it was being offered by a stranger in the middle of a lost city, and that the DM had described a wave of exhaustion hitting their character, which sounds like something that would be perceptible to others, so if we take the OP at face value there are still warning signs.
So, start from you would eat the fruit. A save gets called for. Is it okay to act on the meta-knowledge of a save being asked for, or not?
Is it possible to not act upon it, if you were undecided up until that point? How do you ignore that when you were making a purely subjective decision in any case? Dismissing that information doesn't necessarily dismiss your suspicions, how do you try to judge how great a weight to place on those suspicions when you now know objectively that they are well-founded?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The OP also said that it was being offered by a stranger in the middle of a lost city, and that the DM had described a wave of exhaustion hitting their character, which sounds like something that would be perceptible to others, so if we take the OP at face value there are still warning signs.

Is it possible to not act upon it, if you were undecided up until that point? How do you ignore that when you were making a purely subjective decision in any case? Dismissing that information doesn't necessarily dismiss your suspicions, how do you try to judge how great a weight to place on those suspicions when you now know objectively that they are well-founded?
Stop dancing around the question. We can all say how clever you are, but at the end of the day the question under discussion in this thread is: is it okay for the player to change what their character would do because of something the character wouldn't know about.

Stop dancing around the question. We can all say how clever you are, but at the end of the day the question under discussion in this thread is: is it okay for the player to change what their character would do because of something the character wouldn't know about.

But who decides what the character does and does not know (or, rather, thinks they know)?

MarkB

Legend
How about you also answer my question: If you hadn't already firmly decided what your character would do, how is it possible to completely discount that information when making your decision?

If it's a straightforward situation where there's absolutely no reason for suspicion, and someone my character trusts is handing out fruit, sure my character will take some even if it means ignoring that out-of-character knowledge. Heck, the last session I played in involved willingly dining with a character that we knew OOC and strongly suspected IC to be a vampire. But it's not metagaming to have your character be suspicious of a situation that is inherently suspect.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
How about you also answer my question: If you hadn't already firmly decided what your character would do, how is it possible to completely discount that information when making your decision?

If it's a straightforward situation where there's absolutely no reason for suspicion, and someone my character trusts is handing out fruit, sure my character will take some even if it means ignoring that out-of-character knowledge. Heck, the last session I played in involved willingly dining with a character that we knew OOC and strongly suspected IC to be a vampire. But it's not metagaming to have your character be suspicious of a situation that is inherently suspect.
Did the host ask you to wash your neck before dinner?

Remove ads