D&D 5E Just One More Thing: The Power of "No" in Design (aka, My Fun, Your Fun, and BadWrongFun)

Oofta

Legend
YES!

And Batman, of course.

Confidence+isnt+overrated+at+all+it+really+can+get+you+_051eeaf69ef3a940da84ab6f96e8d686.jpg
Only because Batsie has invulnerable plot armor. So somehow when Supes decides to just take him out from orbit with a super nuke* there'd be a Wayne Enterprise satellite in just the right location that just happened to have a load of Batman BS kryptonite to stop him.

Just like my fighter would have a ring of spell turning. :)

* it's the only way to be sure

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
3. Are you playing with standard combat rule for the casting of spells, and spell length? If you are, then the MU will be very restricted in the spells that can be cast, even if they win initiative. See PHB 104.
And if the Fighter has a missile weapon with any sort of range (e.g. longbow, shortbow, crossbow) that caster isn't doing much casting, period.

The biggest threat to our intrepid Fighter is offensive wands - paralysis, lightning, fire, and the like. By a certain level most Mages have one or two of these, they don't need any pre-preparation, and unlike spells they can't be interrupted even by melee.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's from 1e's Unearthed Arcana (p. 57), and it stuck around for 2e as well.

Okay, then.

So... Magic Users are assumed to have whatever spell needed for the example at hand, even from supplemental sources, but stipulating magic items for the fighter that work is unacceptably coincidental? Do we consider that a fair way to conduct the analysis?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That book, outside of the Polearm appendix, did not exist.

If you claim it does, and you have a copy, you are a lying liar.

First, because it does not exist.

Second, because if it did exist, it would have fallen apart. Because that non-existent book had terrible glue, and all the non-existent pages fell out of the imaginary binding.
With all of the above, the copy currently leaning against the desk next to my left foot would beg to respectfully disagree.

(in all seriousness, not only does it exist but it's held up very well over the years)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
But also assuming that only the wizard can prep. Oh, and that the fighter isn't Batman. ;)
No just assuming that the system makes the effectiveness of fighter prep inconsequential and has very effective built in advantage from prep for the wizard. Batman billionaire buys exactly the magic item to fix the problem I suppose you are right on that latter bit. (assuming some spell caster has a known specialization which money can undermine like fire mage meet Batman utterly fire resistant)

Remove ads