Justin LaNasa shares his opinion of EN World

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Yesterday afternoon a YouTuber named TheEvilDM shared an interview with Justin LaNasa and and Michael K. Hovermale from the new TSR. Around the 53:26 mark, Justin felt the need to call out EN World specifically (NSFW audio warning):

I have to admit I have only watched about another 10 minutes past that point (it's a long video), but I think the conversation moves on after that and we aren't mentioned again.

One of the things that Justin and Michael repeat multiple times is that they are annoyed when people talk about TSR but don't come to them directly to learn more. So, rather than just spread rumors, I would like to tag @TSR-Hobbies and ask: Do you have anything to add to this? Would you like to expand on Justin's feelings about our community? Are there any specific examples you can give of lies that we have spread?
So, I watched/listened to it. Interesting. Actually, their collective point that role-playing games are games, so do what is fun for you and your friends at your table is welcome. I might editorialize that it is a bit obvious and I do not hear anyone from Wizards of the Coast not making anything but that argument. Jeremy Crawford's mantra is, after all "follow your bliss" (I just realized Crawford has the same initials as Joseph Campbell from whom he has adapted that statement: JC). So, it seems to me to be a little bit of making an obvious point, but maybe there is something that they are arguing against of which I am unaware.

I might say the same for the point between the difference between a player and a character. I do not understand what they are speaking against. Around the 1:17 remark, one of the speakers (the one on the left with the goatee) goes into detail about how the character might knife somebody between the ribs, but the player is not doing that. That distinction seems like role-playing 101 to me. I think I might be out-of-touch from the demographic with whom they are attempting to have a conversation. Interesting that at around 1:18:30, Justin LaNasa (if that is the person in the middle) then seems to contradict this point by (if I am following correctly) saying that he was ruing that he was not able to kill another player's character at GaryCon because of his feelings about the player. I may have not followed that conversation strand correctly.

Anyway, as to the fundamental point that Justin LaNasa is making when he mentions EN World (isn't it pronounced N World and not "E-N World"?), it is hard to disagree with it. It is always good to contact the original maker of a statement if there is any question about what might be meant or what might be the purpose of the statement. Hard to argue with that.

Finally, I do not understand the objection to using the term "session" to refer to gaming sessions. I have been playing D&D since 1980 (granted, I was very young then), and I seem to recall us using "session" in the late 1980s and 1990s. I didn't realize there was some kind of objection to the term, which seems perfectly adequate to describe, well, a D&D or role-playing game session.

Justin LaNasa's description of Lake Geneva awakened within me a desire to go there and visit. I went to GenCon three times when it was in Milwaukie in the early 1990s, but I never visited Lake Geneva. That might be fun to take my daughter there some time next time I am in the Midwest.

Cheers everyone!

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
That hasn't been my understanding. Given that those two letters are Eric Noah's initials, I was under the impression that both letters were pronounced individually.
Ha, the things you learn. I have been visiting and reading here for 13/14 years. This makes me chuckle. Thanks, Alzrius.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It must really irk them to realize that this game of dungeons and dragons, in this day and age, a person like Matt Mercer is gonna be a much bigger draw to the popularity of a product than Ernie Gygax.

times change. LaNasa can say ENWorld is full of ** all he wants, but we have the records and receipts of everything they said and tweeted. That’s not full of **, it’s literally the opposite.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That hasn't been my understanding. Given that those two letters are Eric Noah's initials, I was under the impression that both letters were individually pronounced.

Yes.

That said, I pronounce it "N-world" because I'm difficult. Or lazy.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Anyway, as to the fundamental point that Justin LaNasa is making when he mentions EN World (isn't it pronounced N World and not "E-N World"?), it is hard to disagree with it. It is always good to contact the original maker of a statement if there is any question about what might be meant or what might be the purpose of the statement. Hard to argue with that.
They've been asked time and time and time again. They ignore the questions, or block those asking them. Hey, let me try yet again!

@TSR-Hobbies, I know you're on here -- your good friend Justin LaNasa claims in the above video that I have "made things up" about your company. As you represent TSR3.5 here on EN World, would you kindly point out the specific part of this article I have made up:

Hell, I didn't even offer an opinion. But please, do, tell me which part is made up.

As a followup, and I know you guys have been asked this time and time again and ignored it or insulted those asking, but I'll ask once more, for the record:

What is the stance of your company on trans rights?

Remove ads