• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Katana in 5th edition - finesse?

aarduini

Explorer
You're in luck! Elves already get free proficiency with a 1d6 finesse weapon. It's called a shortsword, and it's perfect for dex characters. This leaves the longsword as a tool of the stronger-than-average elves.

Yes, the shortsword is a 1d6 finesse weapon, but it is a piercing weapon and just not good looking enough. Its too short!

Anyway, this thread has gone off the deep end.

I still say it makes no sense to give the elf proficiency with longswords rather than scimitars.

JC99

Explorer
Yes, the shortsword is a 1d6 finesse weapon, but it is a piercing weapon and just not good looking enough. Its too short! .

One of the great things about 5th Edition is that there are no physical descriptions of individual weapons, so the only limit to how your weapons look is common sense. It's pretty easy to say "My shortsword is longer than normal, carved with ornate elvish runes all along the wicked curve of its blade."

On topic: Katanas are to this day the tool of choice for professional diamond cutters.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Yes, the shortsword is a 1d6 finesse weapon, but it is a piercing weapon and just not good looking enough. Its too short!

Anyway, this thread has gone off the deep end.

I still say it makes no sense to give the elf proficiency with longswords rather than scimitars.

D&D legacy. It will always make sense for elves to have proficiency with long swords in out-of-the-box D&D because that's a part of how elves were adapted into AD&D from other sources. Individual campaigns and settings may mess with that at leisure, but continuity of lore from one edition core to another is a good thing.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I blame Chrono Trigger, but seriously make a Cortosis Weave Katana and bye bye Jedis lol.

I heard a Katana is the only thing capable of cutting Chuck Norris' hair.

I remember playing a sci-fi RPG many years back and one guy's PC wielded what I think was a mono-filament katana, or something like that? Basically, could cut through just about anything

Xodis

First Post
I remember playing a sci-fi RPG many years back and one guy's PC wielded what I think was a mono-filament katana, or something like that? Basically, could cut through just about anything

I was about to look this up....then I remembered just how many video games have amazing Katana wielding bad asses and decided against it lol

sidonunspa

First Post
Long Sword with both P/S damage

Create a feat that allows a character to finesse it and gain some other abilities such as Iaijutsu, hero may draw and attack in one single action gaining Advantage on that one attack unless the target is also trained in Iaijutsu? also the feat can allow then to fight Katana/Wakizashi ?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads