• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Katanas? Oriental weapons?

Ah, a good ol' fashioned katana debate, refreshed for 4E.

Frank: There are definitely some holes in the equipment selection presented in the PHB. Most of the iconic options are covered, but you're right, there's lots of "exotic" weapons that haven't made it yet. Lucky for us, there's a big fat equipment supplement due out this September (IIRC) that promises a buttload of new mundane weapons and armor. (...As well as magic items, special materials, mundane equipment, alchemy items, mounts, and vehicles, if the stories are to be believed.)

In the mean time, you might do well to simply rename existing equipment to suit your purposes (as others have suggested), or to get creative and design something yourself (as you've already done).

Hmm... "Wait a while and then buy another book! Either that or do wht you're already doing." lol Now that I think about it, I really haven't been as helpful here as I set out to be. :p

Blackeagle

First Post
greatamericanfolkher said:
Why not make them high crit while you’re at it?
:)

Because that would be overpowered. ;)

Seriously though, a 1d8 versatilex2 is no better than a longsword when wielded one-handed, and is worse than a bastard sword or greatsword two-handed (because the bonus damage from versatile doesn't get multiplied with more than one weapon die).

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Blackeagle said:
In my campaign I'm thinking about making Katana prof +3, 1d8, Versatilex2 weapons. This gives them a slight advantage over the longsword, but only when wielded with two hands (which should encourage players to wield them that way).

Really? I'm giving them minus 2 without Versatile to put emphasis on them being inferior weapons ;p

Sashi

First Post
Tony Vargas said:
Or "CHAM-BARRA" actually. That's the onomonopoetic for clashing swords in Japanese. No, really, I'm not making this up....

When do katanae clash? They cut through EVERYTHING!!!

Bastard sword's fine.

Alternatively, you might go katana : falchion :: bastard sword : greatsword, which would make it a 2d4 versatile high crit one-handed superior weapon.

FINALLY there is a place for fast, two-handed katanas if you wanted--they'd be two-handed superior weapons that (a) counted as BOTH heavy blades and light blades; (b) had greatsword or falchion stats. But they'd be arguably broken-good for rogues.

Remove ads