Level Up (A5E) Keeping beasts dangerous with the squad template.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
I was populating the random encounter table for my current campaign, when i had the idle though "what if i used the squad template for some for some of these?" A pack of hyenas could keep a low level party on their toes. A flock of axe beaks could be a nasty surprise. A lion pride could challenge mid tier parties. Same with a herd of rhinos. A herd of elephants can challenge most parties. And i am oh so tempted by a flock of rocs... (even though the later two ignore the "CR 3 or less" advice.

Anyway, i couldn't see anyone else mentioning this with a quick search. So i thought i'd share.

HYENA PACK​

CHALLENGE 2
LARGE GROUP OF MEDIUM BEASTS 450 XP
AC 11 HP 20 (5d8; bloodied 10) Speed 50 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 16 (+3) 10 (+0) 2 (–4) 12 (+1) 4 (–3)
Proficiency +2; Manoeuvre DC 11
Skills Perception +3
Senses darkvision 30 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages —
ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) piercing damage, half if bloodied. If this damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the pack can use its bonus action to move half its Speed and make a second bite attack.

AXE BEAK FLOCK​

CHALLENGE 3
HUGE GROUP OF LARGE BEASTS 700 XP
AC 11 HP 80 (15d10; bloodied 40) Speed 50 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
16 (+3) 12 (+1) 10 (+0) 2 (–4) 10 (+0) 4 (–3)
Proficiency +2; Manoeuvre DC 12
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages —
Area Vulnerability. The flock takes double damage from any effect that targets an area.
Flock Dispersal. When the flock is reduced to 0 hit points, it turns into 2 (1d4) base creatures, each of which are bloodied.
Flock. The flock is composed of 5 or more creatures. If it is subjected to a spell, attack, or other effect that affects only one target, it takes any damage but ignores other effects. It can share its space with Medium or smaller creatures or objects. The flock can move through any opening large enough for one base creature without squeezing.
ACTIONS
Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (5d6 + 3) slashing damage, half if bloodied.

LION PRIDE​

CHALLENGE 6
HUGE GROUP OF LARGE BEASTS 2,300 XP
AC 12 HP 140 (20d10 + 40; bloodied 70) Speed 50 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 14 (+2) 14 (+2) 3 (–4) 12 (+1) 4 (–3)
Proficiency +3; Manoeuvre DC 13
Skills Perception +4, Stealth +7
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages —
Area Vulnerability. The pride takes double damage from any effect that targets an area.
Pride Dispersal. When the pride is reduced to 0 hit points, it turns into 2 (1d4) base creatures, each of which are bloodied.
Herd. The pride is composed of 5 or more creatures. If it is subjected to a spell, attack, or other effect that affects only one target, it takes any damage but ignores other effects. It can share its space with Medium or smaller creatures or objects. The pride can move through any opening large enough for one base creature without squeezing.
Keen Smell. The pride has advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell.
Long Jump. The pride can long jump up to 25 feet.
Pride Tactics. The pride has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the lion’s allies is within 5 feet of the creature and not incapacitated.
ACTIONS
Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage, half if bloodied. If the lion moves at least 20 feet straight towards the target before the attack, the target makes a DC 13 Strength saving throw, falling prone on a failure.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d10 + 3) piercing damage, half if bloodied.
BONUS ACTIONS
Opportune Bite. The pride makes a bite attack against a prone creature.

RHINOCEROS CRASH​

CHALLENGE 10
HUGE GROUP OF LARGE BEASTS 450 XP
AC 12 (natural armour) HP 225 (30d10 + 60; bloodied 22) Speed 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
20 (+5) 8 (–1) 14 (+2) 2 (–4) 12 (+1) 4 (–3)
Proficiency +4; Manoeuvre DC 15
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages —
Area Vulnerability. The herd takes double damage from any effect that targets an area.
Herd Dispersal. When the herd is reduced to 0 hit points, it turns into 2 (1d4) base creatures, each of which are bloodied.
Herd. The herd is composed of 5 or more creatures. If it is subjected to a spell, attack, or other effect that affects only one target, it takes any damage but ignores other effects. It can share its space with Medium or smaller creatures or objects. The herd can move through any opening large enough for one base creature without squeezing.
ACTIONS
Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 70 (10d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage, half if bloodied. If the rhinoceros moves at least 20 feet straight towards the target before the attack, the attack deals an extra 20 (5d8) bludgeoning damage, half if bloodied, and the target makes a DC 17 Strength saving throw, falling prone on a failure.

ELEPHANT PARADE​

CHALLENGE 18
GIGANTIC GROUP OF HUGE BEASTS 20,000 XP
AC 12 (natural armour) HP 460 (40d12 + 40; bloodied 230) Speed 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
22 (+6) 8 (–1) 20 (+5) 4 (–3) 10 (+0) 6 (–2)
Proficiency +6; Manoeuvre DC 16
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages —
Area Vulnerability. The herd takes double damage from any effect that targets an area.
Herd Dispersal. When the herd is reduced to 0 hit points, it turns into 2 (1d4) base creatures, each of which are bloodied.
Herd. The herd is composed of 5 or more creatures. If it is subjected to a spell, attack, or other effect that affects only one target, it takes any damage but ignores other effects. It can share its space with Medium or smaller creatures or objects. The herd can move through any opening large enough for one base creature without squeezing.
ACTIONS
Gore. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 71 (15d8 + 6) piercing damage, half if bloodied. If the herd moves at least 20 feet straight towards the target before the attack, the target makes a DC 20 Strength saving throw, falling prone on a failure.
Stomp. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 86 (15d10 + 6) bludgeoning damage, half if bloodied.
BONUS ACTIONS
Trample Underfoot. The herd makes a stomp attack against a prone creature.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I've gotten some pretty good use out of the squad template & think it's a great addition for upscaling baddies. Given the thread though "
Type. The squad’s new type is “group of [the original
creature’s size and type].” matches swarms & such but it's come with some edge cases like what happens when a player wants to use a poison dart or a spell like hold person against them. Does anyone know if there are there any rules I've overlooked regarding swarms/group of x baddies that would cover that with a simple "I overlooked yyy on page xxx guys" since I've been leaning towards just allowing it & something feels off
"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've gotten some pretty good use out of the squad template & think it's a great addition for upscaling baddies. Given the thread though "
Type. The squad’s new type is “group of [the original
creature’s size and type].” matches swarms & such but it's come with some edge cases like what happens when a player wants to use a poison dart or a spell like hold person against them. Does anyone know if there are there any rules I've overlooked regarding swarms/group of x baddies that would cover that with a simple "I overlooked yyy on page xxx guys" since I've been leaning towards just allowing it & something feels off
"
I don’t know about the rules, but I would say the swarm is unaffected but when it drops it leaves one less base creature behind (depending on what happened to the held single creature). The caster gets the fun of pulling a base creature out of the swarm.

JLtheking

Villager
... edge cases like what happens when a player wants to use a poison dart or a spell like hold person against them. Does anyone know if there are there any rules I've overlooked regarding swarms/group of x baddies that would cover that with a simple "I overlooked yyy on page xxx guys" since I've been leaning towards just allowing it & something feels off"
Squad. The squad is composed of 5 or more
creatures. If it is subjected to a spell, attack, or other effect that affects only one target, it takes any damage but ignores other effects. It can share its space with Medium or smaller creatures or objects. The squad can move through any opening large enough for one base creature without squeezing. MM p.466

As written, Hold Person and spells like it do nothing. Though you are free to houserule something else.

A Flock of Rocs is a "Ruckus of Rocs" in my campaign. There is a law in the starting county that anyone publicly referring to it as a "Roc-us" Shall pay a fine of not less than 10 gold and/or 3 days in the pillory ever since one table some of us played at 20 years ago abused that pun around the Countess to her wit's end.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
A Flock of Rocs is a "Ruckus of Rocs" in my campaign. There is a law in the starting county that anyone publicly referring to it as a "Roc-us" Shall pay a fine of not less than 10 gold and/or 3 days in the pillory ever since one table some of us played at 20 years ago abused that pun around the Countess to her wit's end.
... Well, gotta fine me, because the first thing I said after reading "A Ruckus of Rocs" was "Roc-us would be better."

Remove ads