5E Keith Baker: Exploring Eberron

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in December March soon (TM) on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

1574272975183.png

He's also started a series of blog posts now that Rising from the Last War is out:
Also, check out the KB Presents Twitter for more previews

EDIT: Official title now!

Last edited:

Comments

dave2008

Legend
PC Gnoll stats are in a 3rd party Kobold Press supplement called Heroes of The Southlands. Exploring Eberron will be the second thing to provide racial Gnoll stats.
I know, I have my own as well, but I was talking about WotC PC gnolls.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
PC Gnoll stats are in a 3rd party Kobold Press supplement called Heroes of The Southlands. Exploring Eberron will be the second thing to provide racial Gnoll stats.
You can also use the NPC stats for gnolls in the DMG. Obviously meant for NPCs, but still pretty usable for a normal PC if your DM allows it.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Weren't the also transformed hyena's in 4e? I don't, however, remember how they explained PC gnolls in 4e, and that is the part I was talking about liking in Keith's lore.
uh I was pretty sure gnolls were always like hyenas though.

dave2008

Legend
uh I was pretty sure gnolls were always like hyenas though.
Yes, I was asking about the story that took you from wild blood-thirsty demonically tainted killing machines to a PC race. Keith has crafted a great story to explain that. I don't remember the story in earlier versions.

Weiley31

Adventurer
Yes, I was asking about the story that took you from wild blood-thirsty demonically tainted killing machines to a PC race. Keith has crafted a great story to explain that. I don't remember the story in earlier versions.
They were still demonically tainted and had a pack theme with casual aggressive tendencies like the Eberron version. They also worshipped more the Primal Spirits when rejecting their Demonic Taint and not worshipping Yeenoghu.

However the mercenary contract stuff and the non worshipping of dieties, yet still acknowledging them, is new to the Eberron version. 4E Female Gnolls were also alot bigger and "meaner" when it came to busting skulls. Gnoll packs are less by whoever is the strongest in that pack. I also think 4E Female Gnolls had Poly like tendencies when it came to mating seasons or something. I have to check out 1D4 Chan's Gnoll page as it does a good job explaining it.

Last edited:

ChaosOS

Adventurer
Nothing firm, but it sounds like they're going to make it this month barring catastrophe. Almost all the book is into editing and layout, which means they're close to doing proofs. Guessing it's going to be the end of the month though rather than next week.

Are we nearly there yet?
I would really like to get my hands on this book and start an Eberron campaign before I catch COVID 19. That is not meant as a glib response; I'm seriously worried about catching the coronavirus and would at least like to enjoy running an Eberron game before things get out of hand. I'm in a vulnerable group so not sure about my chances...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
EBRFLW makes two things clear:

1) Dragonmaked houses fiercely enforce their monopolies.

2) The law in Sharn is corrupt.

So the PCs don't have to do anything explicitly "against the law". If the PCs do something any one of the powerful organisations described in ERFTLW doesn't like they will simply pay off the Sharn Watch to make life difficult for the PCs.
The canon is quite clear that foundlings aren't actively interfered with by the Houses.

You can play how you want, but what you’re advising to others isn't in line with actual canon.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Page 10: "Powerful dynastic guilds dominate and regulate the magical economy. The Dragonmarked houses include barons of industry whose influence rivals that of monarchs." "House Jorasco dominates the medical trade with it's mark of healing." "Even independent businesses are typically licenced by a house and conform to the standards it sets. Not every tavern is run by House Ghallanda, but the Ghallanda seal in the corner of an inn sign assures customers it meets health and safety standards".

Page 37: "Long ago, the families that carry the dragonmarks joined together... to establish powerful monopolies." "This control over vital services gives the houses tremendous power".
You can interpret that to mean they harass foundlings, if you want, but that directly contradicts explicit canon, so it’s a weird interpretation.
It also explicitly says that the license assures customers of the quality of a business, and it does not say that the house tries to get non-licensed businesses shut down.
There absolutely are successful unlicensed businesses in Khorvaire, and the houses only mess with PCs who are using their mark however they want if the DM wants to tell that story.

Bolares

Adventurer
You can interpret that to mean they harass foundlings, if you want, but that directly contradicts explicit canon, so it’s a weird interpretation.
It also explicitly says that the license assures customers of the quality of a business, and it does not say that the house tries to get non-licensed businesses shut down.
There absolutely are successful unlicensed businesses in Khorvaire, and the houses only mess with PCs who are using their mark however they want if the DM wants to tell that story.
well, there is contradictions in canonwith this issue, I can't recall the specific passage right now, but there are older books the paint a more agressive policicy for the houses regarding unlicensed businesses

They don't need to. If the house branding is a guarantee of quality, then not having the branding guaranties a lack of quality. All it takes to shut them down is market forces.
There absolutely are successful unlicensed businesses in Khorvaire
Khorvaire is a big place, the dragonmarked houses couldn't service the whole continent even if they wanted to. But in major population centres like Sharn they will act to protect their monopoly. That doesn't mean they will necessarily act outside the law. There are plenty of standard business practices they can use. As I said, Eberron is not a Star Trek setting, it simply does not make sense for big business to behave with a morality and altruism not found in real life.

Advertisement1

In Our Store!

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4