D&D 5E Keith Baker: Exploring Eberron

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

1574272975183.png

Keith sent Sly Flourish a PDF copy of the book, which Sly flipped through

Also, check out the KB Presents Twitter for past previews

Weiley31

Legend
New teaser with the list of subclasses!

Okay, of all the places to see the Dirge Singer appear in, this was certainly not expected. o_O

Way of The Living Weapon? So we now know(maybe?) what the Subclass the Monk Gentle is rocking. But how are the Eldritch/Laser claws relate to it? Unless the Claws are made of "Dream Energy" basically.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Now this is what I'm talking about! :D :D :D

Love these options. Circle of the Forged sounds very very different from anything I've ever heard of before with a Druid. Fascinating.
I'm curious how Mind domain will differ from Knowledge Domain (and Arcana, to some extent). Probably more Psionics-lite. Sounds a bit like the Divine Mind from Complete Psionic…

Dirge Singer is a big YES. As is Living Weapon!!!!!

And Maverick and Forge Adepts sound like great additions to the Artficer fold. Maverick sounds like it could even be a sort of Dr. Frankenstein/Dr. Jekyll/ mad scientist, delving into forbidden fields. I'm curious to see how Science and Arcane Magic will be further distinguished by this book.

And 40 pages of crunch!!!? I'm guessing that's mostly from the Monster portion of the book, but this is a huge expansion to the game. :) Here's hoping we don't get these options in a different form from WotC down the road; I'd hope they'd at least respect Keith Baker's labour of love for his own setting, if they respect anything at all coming from the DM's Guild (we've definitely seen in UA some takes on concepts that appeared earlier in say, Xanathar's Lost Notes, and that was Guild Adepts!).

EDIT: Interesting afterthought - College of the Dirge Singer does, in fact, seem to tread on the same ground as a Xanathar's Lost Notes (and thus Guild Adept) subclass, the College of Mourning. Morgrave Miscellany carried over College of Keys from that book, as they both were Ruty books, but it didn't carry over College of Mourning, so at least we don't have two separate "Dirge" subclasses of Bard in Eberron books.

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Legend
Love the sound of those subclasses as concepts, but I'm taking a very Wait And See attitude. It's a rare third party subclass that holds up to what WotC puts out. All the playtesting they do really does show. Still, it'd be very cool if they're worth using.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Love the sound of those subclasses as concepts, but I'm taking a very Wait And See attitude. It's a rare third party subclass that holds up to what WotC puts out. All the playtesting they do really does show. Still, it'd be very cool if they're worth using.
I've found that subclasses are much easier to create and balance than classes - WotC said as much themselves in the DMG! Keith knows what he's doing, and he hired good collaborators. Give him some credit of doubt, this is the guy who invented Eberron!

Kurotowa

Legend
I've found that subclasses are much easier to create and balance than classes - WotC said as much themselves in the DMG! Keith knows what he's doing, and he hired good collaborators. Give him some credit of doubt, this is the guy who invented Eberron!

Right, and I'm sure the setting material will be well worth the price of the book. But the people he partnered with for mechanics in Morgrave Misc did not turn in great material, so you'll excuse me if I withhold judgment here until I see it for myself. (Yes, I know this is different mechanics people, we were just discussing that. That's why it's Wait And See and not Ignore Those Bits Entirely.)

Right, and I'm sure the setting material will be well worth the price of the book. But the people he partnered with for mechanics in Morgrave Misc did not turn in great material, so you'll excuse me if I withhold judgment here until I see it for myself. (Yes, I know this is different mechanics people, we were just discussing that. That's why it's Wait And See and not Ignore Those Bits Entirely.)
He parted ways with those people. Good riddance to the poor mechanics designers.

Way of The Living Weapon? So we now know(maybe?) what the Subclass the Monk Gentle is rocking. But how are the Eldritch/Laser claws relate to it? Unless the Claws are made of "Dream Energy" basically.
Manifesting a psychic representation of their linked quori's claws maybe?

EDIT: Interesting afterthought - College of the Dirge Singer does, in fact, seem to tread on the same ground as a Xanathar's Lost Notes (and thus Guild Adept) subclass, the College of Mourning. Morgrave Miscellany carried over College of Keys from that book, as they both were Ruty books, but it didn't carry over College of Mourning, so at least we don't have two separate "Dirge" subclasses of Bard in Eberron books.
I think "Dirge Singer" is more of a ceremonial title for the bards who guided the goblinoid empire rather than a class based around funerary rites.
The names might cause confusion but I'm guessing they will have quite different focuses.

Okay, of all the places to see the Dirge Singer appear in, this was certainly not expected. o_O

You say that as if you think it's improbable... :whistle:

Remove ads

Remove ads