D&D 5E Kensei monk - stunning arrows?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
It strikes me as being a tad overpowered, but not game breaking. I'd certainly limit it to 1/round (like a sneak attack) if not balancing it any other way.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It strikes me as being a tad overpowered, but not game breaking. I'd certainly limit it to 1/round (like a sneak attack) if not balancing it any other way.
That could be reasonable. The arcane archer has a similar power - the AC has less use per short rest, but they are less "ki dependent" than the monk, so it's not too crazy?

I might try replacing it with restrained instead of stunned. Test with that and see how abusive it is.

Alternatives would be to just immobilize the target ("The creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.") or disorient the target ("Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage.") or something similar.

You could even make it slow (as the spell) until the end of the Monk's next turn ("An affected target's speed is halved, it takes a -2 penalty to AC and Dexterity Saving Throws, and it can't use Reactions. On its turn, it can use either an action or a Bonus Action, not both. Regardless of the creature's Abilities or Magic Items, it can't make more than one melee or ranged Attack during its turn.").

Remove ads