• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Key concept

Vaxalon

First Post
Ron Edwards said:
Key concept: the target role-player wants his or her character to matter to NPCs.

I'll generalize that further.

Roleplayers want their characters to matter.

This is the real danger of the munchkin; they can cause other player-characters to NOT MATTER.

This is the real danger of the DM's pet NPC.

I'm adding this question to my PC questionnaire: Why does your PC matter? What the question really means is, "In what way do you want your PC to matter" but by phrasing it this way, I can reassure the player that his PC will matter mostly the way he wants him to.

sellars

Explorer
I have to admit, I haven't thought about it that way. Very cool and insightful!

I am going to think about this on my way home today in relation to my characters.

It might make a nice group assignment for our gaming group :)

thanks!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
That's a great question on a PC questionnaire; when we do our character generation for our planes-hopping game next week, I'll be asking that one.

Daniel

Wombat

First Post
Interesting, very interesting.

Just to go to the other side of the campaign equation, I have a campaign in design-mode at the moment that is supposed to feel more "real world swashbuckling" (as opposed to the plane-hopping example given by Pielorinho) and the "Why Does Your Character Matter?" question is also very important.

I like this one. :)

Vaxalon

First Post
The idea is attaining a certain level of refinement.

"In my <community>, I am known as the <position>. People in my <community> generally feel <emotion> for me."

<community>: family, neighborhood, town, city, region, nation, world, etc.

<position>: strongest, guy who tells the jokes, spiritual leader, heir to the throne, etc.

<emotion>: hate, love, desire, fear, pity, derision, respect, etc.

Last edited:

cdsaint

First Post
Vaxalon said:
The idea is attaining a certain level of refinement.

"In my <community>, I am the <position>. People in my <community> generally feel <emotion> for me."

<community>: family, neighborhood, town, city, region, nation, world, etc.

<position>: strongest, guy who tells the jokes, spiritual leader, heir to the throne, etc.

<emotion>: hate, love, desire, fear, pity, derision, respect, etc.

I don't know Vaxalon, I liked your original question better. "Why does your character matter?" It just seems to cut right to the heart of things.

Chris

Vaxalon

First Post
Another way a character could matter is a relationship, possibly secret, to an important person.

"Secretly, I am the <relationship> of <powerful entity>."

...the true heir to the throne of Gondor

...the cupbearer of the great god Uhthaz

Vaxalon

First Post
cdsaint said:
I don't know Vaxalon, I liked your original question better. "Why does your character matter?" It just seems to cut right to the heart of things.

I'm trying to put together guidelines to help players who are stuck put together cogent answers.

The <community> tag helps to define the scale of the game, and helps point up problems if different players have different ideas of what the scale should be.

Last edited:

Remove ads