• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Khemet - Epic Egyptian Campaign [IC and intro]

Brazeku

First Post
Sorry about the disruption, I didn't realize that there was still interest in this. I can continue with just the two of you if you would like. Are you both up for it?

Brazeku

First Post
Alright then, here we go!

Talk of investigating the city outside seems to spark some discussion; the Godlings around you murmur quietly amongst themselves until Ran-Osiris addresses you again.

“I doubt that traveling away from the temple will draw more danger to you, at least not from Ammut. Ammut is attracted to Ba-Spirits, not Djeret-netjer, and unless you come across a concentration of spiritual beings, you will have little to fear from her. The greatest dangers reside in the hearts of wicked men and in the hearts of those who actively oppose us.”

Ran-Osiris looks thoughtful for a moment, tapping his crook on the ground.

“At this temple, we have several scrolls of binding locked away in the catacombs. We have been loathe to unseal them thus far... but I believe now that the cause is significant enough to allow it. The scrolls can be used to stop Ammut if somebody attempts to lure her toward you, as I suspect happened earlier, so long as they are activated before she fully manifests. The magic will force her back into the underworld, back to where she originated, back into the hall of the dead. You may take them and use them if necessary. Mind you that the effects will be impermanent outside of a full ritual. Also know that if you do force her back with these scrolls, you cannot follow her. You would become entrapped as well.”

Another one of the falcon-headed men speaks up, this one with scarlet feathers.

“Speaking of the binding scrolls, Ran-Osiris, why don’t you tell them the easier way? Haha.”

You didn’t know that it was possible for a Falcon’s face to register an expression of disdain and unease, but that is exactly the impression you get from Ran-Osiris. His eyes blaze with constrained anger but his voice is measured and clear. “Well, Ranset, if you are so eager to see our champions lost in the nethers, why don’t you tell them.”

The other creature hops down the stairs and walks towards you with a smooth, serpentine gait.
“It isn’t nearly as risky as Ran-Osiris would have you believe – a few minor changes here and there, a brief ceremony, and we can use the binding scrolls upon you to send you into the Underworld quickly. The drawback – you would remain completely entrapped until the moon is new. That’s 8 days. What happens while you’re there, well, that’s your problem. Heh.”

The red-feathered creature swings his gaze towards Ran-Osiris, almost accusingly.

“When I suggested it weeks ago, Ran-Osiris here objected out of hand. Seems strange, seeing how many mortals he’s sent to the Underworld by significantly less pleasant methods. In service of his own pride.”

Ran-Osiris slams his crook on the ground. “That is enough! You will not sow suspicion amongst us, Ranset, though I know that you wish to. The will of my lord is absolute here. Osiris holds court in this temple - in this city!”

“And what a lovely kingdom it is.” Ranset turns away from you and walks back towards the stairwell, laughing as he goes.
“Mortals. You can waste time with Ran-Osiris, as our foe grows stronger and your task more desperate. Or, you can come with me, and I will send you to your destiny. I’m ready anytime.”

Shayuri

First Post
"I do not trust the path that looks too easy," Minnefret says. "Though we should keep it in mind, if time gets too short and the situation too desperate."

She nods at Ran-Osiris. "We will need a binding scroll, in case Ammut is summoned again. We'll see if we can discover more about the materials we need and return. If need be, we'll risk entrapment, but we'll at least try the other way first."

Brazeku

First Post
Ranset snorts derisively. “Fine then, mortal. I’m always waiting, but I’m not always generous. This time I’m choosing not to take this as an insult, but in the future I may not be so forgiving.”

Ran-Osiris seems pained. “Don’t pay any heed to Ranset. There are those amongst us with differing agendas and different outlooks on the proper position of mortals. There are those who do not wish to see mortals elevated to any status greater than their own, especially in the eyes of their patrons.”

Ran-Osiris claps his hands, and two of the other spiritual entities turn and vanish up the spiraling staircase.

“They will return shortly with the sacred scrolls. While they’re gone, perhaps I can help you with some information concerning the city and its denizens. The first places to look are very likely the other temple complexes. They are nexuses of divine power, any of which may be used by our enemy for ritual purposes, or even as a location for summoning. Many Ba-spirits gather around the temples, especially in their mausoleums and catacombs.”

“This city is very old. In ancient days, the first mausoleums were built at the edges of the river. Over time, buildings and temples were literally built up atop these ancient burial grounds, resulting in a complex network of sacred, subterranean passages. Some of these catacombs are thousands of years old. Many were sealed away and forgotten; it is very likely that there are records detailing various reasons why in this temple. It is also likely that many, if not all of those records are fragmentary.”

“The richest sources of very ancient Ba-Spirits are to be found within these catacombs. But that isn’t all – the earliest mausoleum murals often depicted long-lost rituals, including those ceremonies intended to breach the barriers between the underworld and this one. It is possible that our adversary had discovered the secrets of these arcane rites through his studies of the catacombs while searching out and transcribing sacred texts, and it is possible that you may as well. This could lead you to discover the materials you need to break the seal between worlds.”

“Now, of course, the catacombs are officially abandoned, but the current reign of lawlessness has opened them up for tomb robbers. The situation is unfortunate, but there is a chance we can turn this to our advantage. You may be able to glean some information or guidance from the mortals who frequent such places. Mind yourselves, however, for they are a treacherous bunch. Who knows who or what they’ve been dealing with?”

Just then, the beings return, each bearing 2 scrolls.

“Ah, here are the scrolls for you. Guard them well.” Ran-Osiris looks pensive. “You may delve into the catacombs beneath this temple immediately, if you so wish. You could also head to another temple, check the records here, investigate the location where Ammut appeared, or travel in search of the tomb robbers. Those are the courses of action which seem immediately apparent to myself. If there is anything you need or any other notions you have, do not hesistate to ask; I am here to serve.”

Shayuri

First Post
Minnefret gives Runihuna a curious look...no longer mortal, eh? I'll have to remember to ask him about that...then addresses Ran-Osiris.

"The ritual to breach the worlds...can it be done at a distance from where the effect is, or would it have to have been done close by where Ammut came through?"

(any chance we could get links to the OOC thread and the Rogues Gallery thread? They fell off, and I don't see any sigs in this thread)

Remove ads