Kholdstare's Scales of War 4E Campaign [IC]

drothgery

First Post
"I wonder if that big dragonborn could use a partner. He's a sorcerer if I ever saw one. Nice people for a student of sword magic like myself to work with. And it'd take a while for bandits to get past the cognitive dissonance of someone my size defending someone his size, which is both amusing and effective." She said, after the human finished talking.

"Oh, the name's Breena." She added, when she realized she hadn't mentioned her name yet.

And we'll get back to where you're from in a bit.

Insight

Adventurer
"I wonder if that big dragonborn could use a partner. He's a sorcerer if I ever saw one. Nice people for a student of sword magic like myself to work with. And it'd take a while for bandits to get past the cognitive dissonance of someone my size defending someone his size, which is both amusing and effective." She said, after the human finished talking.

"Oh, the name's Breena." She added, when she realized she hadn't mentioned her name yet.

And we'll get back to where you're from in a bit.

Vashtaryx notes the attention he received from the gnome or halfling or whatever she was. Certainly, though, an arcanist, though wearing a sword. The sorcerer walks over to Breena. "Well met, little one. I am called Vashtaryx and I am recently from the lands to the north. You seem to have taken something of an interest in me. May I ask why?"

drothgery

First Post
The sorcerer walks over to Breena. "Well met, little one. I am called Vashtaryx and I am recently from the lands to the north. You seem to have taken something of an interest in me. May I ask why?"

"I was just going by your appearance, so if you're not a classically trained dragonborn sorcerer forgive me for jumping to conclusions. But sorcerers and students of sword magic generally work pretty well together -- though usually the sorcerers are human and the swordmages eladrin. And I've always been curious about other arcane arts than mine." She says. "That, and I like confusing people. And no one who's unfamiliar with Star Mountain swordmages would think a gnome would be the one holding the line in front of a six and a half foot dragonborn."

Insight

Adventurer
"I was just going by your appearance, so if you're not a classically trained dragonborn sorcerer forgive me for jumping to conclusions. But sorcerers and students of sword magic generally work pretty well together -- though usually the sorcerers are human and the swordmages eladrin. And I've always been curious about other arcane arts than mine." She says. "That, and I like confusing people. And no one who's unfamiliar with Star Mountain swordmages would think a gnome would be the one holding the line in front of a six and a half foot dragonborn."

Vashtaryx looks curiously at Breena. "So you are a... gnome? You'll have to forgive me; in my homeland, dragonborn are the norm and anything else... well, I wouldn't have seen them much. Actually, that's part of the reason my master sent me into the world. I am to experience things beyond the very insular nature of the dragonborn kingdom. Before I left the comforts of my home, I would not have known a halfling from a gnome or an elf from an eladrin. I'm not entirely certain I know the difference now..."

The dragonborn finds an appropriate seat. "As I said, I am called Vashtaryx and I hail from the lands to the north. I studied the arcane arts under a great dragonborn sorcerer of renown within my community. Under my master, I learned to harness the considerable innate power at my command. I still have much to learn of the nature of draconic arcane power, however."

rb780nm

First Post
His precious flute safely stowed, Cardamon finally looks up from his work. His eyes widen over his pint as he takes in the unusual gathering forming by the bar. He slings his bow over his shoulder, slides his sword into his belt and heads over.

On the way, his fidgeting fingers draw a second, sturdier, flute from his belt. Without bringing it to his lips, his hands run through complex fingering routines - always practicing.

"Farmer," he nods at the guardsman.

OOC: [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION] - we're the locals, how do you want to play our relationship? Would Farmer see a young bard as a layabout who ought to work for a living? I think Cardamon would be wary of the guard - he grew up poor and probably was a minor criminal in his youth.

"Welcome to the Antler, and welcome to Brindol!" Cardamon enthuses to the others.

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: [MENTION=5656]Someone[/MENTION] - we're the locals, how do you want to play our relationship? Would Farmer see a young bard as a layabout who ought to work for a living? I think Cardamon would be wary of the guard - he grew up poor and probably was a minor criminal in his youth.

OOC: I don't see why we couldn't be even friends - after all Culth is of Good alignment and it's likely that whatever Cardamon did it's long forgotten; also he's quite young, and he was probably a child when that happened. As for the comments he's made so far, he's not really that strict: he's just conservative. New faces tend to bring new kinds of trouble, and he's confortable with the old kind of problems.

drothgery

First Post
Vashtaryx looks curiously at Breena. "So you are a... gnome? You'll have to forgive me; in my homeland, dragonborn are the norm and anything else... well, I wouldn't have seen them much. Actually, that's part of the reason my master sent me into the world. I am to experience things beyond the very insular nature of the dragonborn kingdom. Before I left the comforts of my home, I would not have known a halfling from a gnome or an elf from an eladrin. I'm not entirely certain I know the difference now..."

"There aren't many non-gnomes inside Star Mountain, but we keep a town on the pass through the mountains, and everyone's been out there at least a few times. You probably passed through there on your way here; there aren't many ways through the mountains from the far north. I wouldn't worry too much about telling us apart; you won't get into any real trouble unless you call an elf a dwarf or the other way around. And don't ask me why; I don't have a good explanation for that one."
She said.

The dragonborn finds an appropriate seat. "As I said, I am called Vashtaryx and I hail from the lands to the north. I studied the arcane arts under a great dragonborn sorcerer of renown within my community. Under my master, I learned to harness the considerable innate power at my command. I still have much to learn of the nature of draconic arcane power, however."

"I can't help you a lot there. Legend has it Correllon taught the eladrin book magic -- and the eladrin taught it to humans and us and others, and the dragons introduced innate magic to a great many peoples. And eventually book magic spawned sword magic and the artificer's trade, while some with innate magic combined it with song in the bard's art and others used it to strike bargains with other entities for power in the warlock's pacts. At least, that's what I was taught. Could be wrong, could be other arcane traditions in some corner of the world no gnome has visited."
She said.

Insight

Adventurer

"There aren't many non-gnomes inside Star Mountain, but we keep a town on the pass through the mountains, and everyone's been out there at least a few times. You probably passed through there on your way here; there aren't many ways through the mountains from the far north. I wouldn't worry too much about telling us apart; you won't get into any real trouble unless you call an elf a dwarf or the other way around. And don't ask me why; I don't have a good explanation for that one."
She said.

The sorcerer sniffs the air. "Yes, I suppose it's possible I did. I don't tend to notice little ones such as yourself. No offense." Vashtaryx waves over the barmaid. "Despite traveling through those mountains and coming here, I have yet to see a dwarf. Or if I have, I didn't notice."

"I can't help you a lot there. Legend has it Correllon taught the eladrin book magic -- and the eladrin taught it to humans and us and others, and the dragons introduced innate magic to a great many peoples. And eventually book magic spawned sword magic and the artificer's trade, while some with innate magic combined it with song in the bard's art and others used it to strike bargains with other entities for power in the warlock's pacts. At least, that's what I was taught. Could be wrong, could be other arcane traditions in some corner of the world no gnome has visited."
She said.

"Ahhh, bards," Vashtaryx replies. "We have those in my community despite our obvious lack of musical ability. Dragons aren't exactly known for their rhythm and ability to carry a tune. Warlocks... I know not of those creatures. My master said it is best to avoid those who would make pacts with otherworldly powers."

Vashtaryx orders another ale. "I tire of this place already. Perhaps there's something two skilled arcanists can do to earn some gold around this place."

rb780nm

First Post
"Three arcanists," Cardamon invites himself into the conversation with a disarming smile. "I know a few musical cantrips myself, and like Breena says, they're as arcane as a fireball or magic missile - although far less impressive.

"Actually, three arcanists and a swordsman - my good friend Guardsergant Farmer here is a fine blade, and I believe you've some leave coming up, right Culth? The four of us could surely find some rewarding trouble to get into in a place like the Vale"

drothgery

First Post
"Perhaps four. Though this would be about the time for my deductive powers to fail me, and this fellow.." She indicates Rhys "... might not be a wizard. He's not quite as obvious as you two were."

Remove ads