Killing the sense of wonder

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Letting players create their characters in isolation from other players.

Assuming players won't make assumptions about what's included when I neglected to tell them that monster X doesn't necessarily exist in world Y.

Last edited:

radferth

First Post
These are both uncommon, but have totally ruined immersion for me:

1) The Star Wars Cantina effect, where every single party member is some monstrous race.

2) In game acronyms. Don't know why this particular anachronism bothers me so much more than most, but it does. Perhaps because it seems like the DM is actually trying to kill immersion at this point.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't understand why this kills a sense of wonder:
Letting players create their characters in isolation from other players.
And I'm having trouble parsing this next bit at all, can you elaborate please?
Assuming players won't make assumptions about what's included when I neglected to tell them that monster X doesn't necessarily exist in world Y.

Lanefan

Aeolius

Adventurer
Asking for battle music for the final battle versus the dracolich and... my friends' 3 year old puts on the alphabet song. Epic. And us DMs think we're in control :)
Then you realize that the alphabet song, twinkle twinkle, and baa baa black sheep all share the same tune, and sense of wonder is restored..

Players/DMs who always show up stoned or really drunk.
I remember role-playing an entire swarm of tiny fey one night, while drinking absinthe. It was.... memorable

...every single party member is some monstrous race... In game acronyms.
Since my game is set underwater, I expect PCs to be somewhat unusual... no worries. As for the IGAs... welllll..... ;)

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I don't understand why this kills a sense of wonder:

Would the phrase "character created in a vacuum" help?

Lanefan said:
And I'm having trouble parsing this next bit at all, can you elaborate please?

Didn't mention anything about Lycanthropes at all in a Dark Fantasy setting. Player equipped character with quite a bit of silvered weaponry.

Granted that one comes down to clear communication.

Remove ads