Pathfinder 2E Kingmaker Preorders Open

Including the Pathfinder 2E version of the classic adventure path, along with bestiaries which enable you to use the AP with both Pathfinder 1E and with D&D 5E, Paizo has opened pre-orders for a revised version of its most popuar campaign. In addition, you can pick up kindom management tools map packs, and pawns, with 13 products in total available. September 22, 2022 (REDMOND, Wash.) –...

Including the Pathfinder 2E version of the classic adventure path, along with bestiaries which enable you to use the AP with both Pathfinder 1E and with D&D 5E, Paizo has opened pre-orders for a revised version of its most popuar campaign. In addition, you can pick up kindom management tools map packs, and pawns, with 13 products in total available.

1505396_pzo2020pf2kingmakeradventurepathhc1200.jpg

September 22, 2022 (REDMOND, Wash.) – Paizo Inc., publisher of the Pathfinder and Starfinder Roleplaying games, has opened preorders for the massive Pathfinder Kingmaker Adventure Path suite of products at PathfinderKingmaker.com. The set presents a full-length campaign that chronicles the rise of a new nation—a kingdom built and ruled by the player characters—and contains 13 products with over 1000 pages of expanded and updated tabletop roleplay game adventure material based on the Pathfinder First Edition Kingmaker Adventure Path and the Owlcat computer game adaptation. It will be available to purchase on October 26 at game and bookstores worldwide and at paizo.com.

Over a decade ago, the Pathfinder Kingmaker Adventure Path helped lead the way with an open-ended "sandbox" style adventure that encouraged exploration and conquest in a rugged wilderness. Its open-world narrative and kingdom-building elements gave players and Game Masters unparalleled freedom to explore and shape the world with their heroic actions. It became one of the best-selling and most beloved campaigns in Pathfinder's history.

In past years, Paizo published hardcover collections of the popular Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne campaigns, returning beloved out-of-print favorites updated with new bridging material, new illustrations and maps, errata, and numerous additional improvements. This release brings Kingmaker into the same fold, bigger and better than ever before.

The expansion includes content from Owlcat Games’ best-selling computer game adaptation of the Kingmaker campaign added new adventures, new mysteries, and more than a dozen new companions to accompany the players as they expand their holdings from a single fortress to a burgeoning empire.

This multi-product release includes Pathfinder Kingmaker Adventure Path, a massive new deluxe limited-edition hardcover compilation updated to the latest Pathfinder rules. The Kingmaker Companion Guide presents seven fully detailed companions inspired by the Kingmaker video game, ready to provide all sorts of assistance, each accompanied by a fully detailed personalized adventure to go along with their story. The Kingmaker Bestiary 1st Edition and Kingmaker Bestiary 5th Edition help those who prefer to convert the adventure to their games. The suite includes many additional accessories to enhance play!

Players can find detailed descriptions on each product on the site:
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Adventure Path (P2)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Adventure Path Special Edition (P2)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Bestiary (First Edition) (P1)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Bestiary (Fifth Edition) (5E)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Companion Guide (P2)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Companion Guide Special Edition (P2)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Kingdom Management Screen (P2)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Kingdom Management Tracker (P2)
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Poster Map Folio
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker Pawn Box
  • Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Kingmaker Adventure Path Campsite Multi-Pack
  • Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Kingmaker Adventure Path Noble Manor Multi-Pack
  • Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Kingmaker Adventure Path River Kingdoms Ruins Multi-Pack
Soon, you can face off against bands of bloodthirsty bandits, deadly and dangerous monsters, and mysterious menaces from other realities as you fight to claim the Stolen Lands as your own. Will you rule with justice and mercy, or will you become the very monsters you fought to oppose? In the Kingmaker Adventure Path, the destiny of the world’s newest nation is yours to decide!

Preorder today at PathfinderKingmaker.com.

Is it though, stifling the marketplace? There seems to be an abundance of alternative systems being produced, and more kickstarted every week. Seems a golden age for production of TTRPGs. Getting people to play them with you might be a challenge, but getting a new system every week doesn’t seem to be. Making any money producing those RPGs looks real challenging, but doesn’t seem to be stopping many.
I think there’s definitely more interest in TTRPGs than ever before, and with that comes enthusiasm from new authors and designers, who want to pitch new things. But is it really easier to publish now than in the old days? Most of these new products are digital-only anyway.

You nailed it when you said that the key challenge is getting folks to play new games. Unfortunately I think lots of it just gets left behind, ignored and forgotten.

I think there’s definitely more interest in TTRPGs than ever before, and with that comes enthusiasm from new authors and designers, who want to pitch new things. But is it really easier to publish now than in the old days? Most of these new products are digital-only anyway.

You nailed it when you said that the key challenge is getting folks to play new games. Unfortunately I think lots of it just gets left behind, ignored and forgotten.
It’s WAY easier to publish now than ever before. It’s way easier to get it out in print now too, PoD wasn’t a thing in the 90’s, then it was buddy who worked graves at Kinkos If you wanted to print your idea. That’s why today we have the golden age of TTRPGs, systems galore, affordable art cause it’s easier than ever to do and more artists than ever before.

You’re right though, they’re all gonna be mostly forgotten under the churning wake of D&D. Or just cause there’s so forking many new ideas being published these days. Honestly, I think it’s the dizzying array of options outside of D&D that keeps it popular. If there were 3 options, there could be a contest on merits, but it’s D&D and 100 other ideas.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So it’s possible to spend even more:

And for some, it might be worth it.

Retreater

Legend
My experience running it when it was newly released for PF1...
The first two adventures were great sandbox modules - some of the best adventures from the era as I remember.
The third one was a more standard dungeon adventure. It didn't feel overly connected to the others. It was still pretty fun.
The fourth adventure had some political intrigue as a departure - but the fifth one seemed a copy and paste of the fourth adventure with the names changed. I didn't even run it.
The sixth (and final) adventure had what I felt were ridiculously bloated encounters. Like monsters with +40 to hit and 60+ AC. They wouldn't be able to miss the characters in my game (and wouldn't be able to be hit either). So I didn't run it, but it was fun to flip through as a killer DM.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My experience running it when it was newly released for PF1...
The first two adventures were great sandbox modules - some of the best adventures from the era as I remember.
The third one was a more standard dungeon adventure. It didn't feel overly connected to the others. It was still pretty fun.
The fourth adventure had some political intrigue as a departure - but the fifth one seemed a copy and paste of the fourth adventure with the names changed. I didn't even run it.
The sixth (and final) adventure had what I felt were ridiculously bloated encounters. Like monsters with +40 to hit and 60+ AC. They wouldn't be able to miss the characters in my game (and wouldn't be able to be hit either). So I didn't run it, but it was fun to flip through as a killer DM.
The final chapters in the PF1 era were often megadungeons with massive NPC stat blocks. It takes an ocean to challenge high level 3E PCs. Which meant story and RP opportunities that were plentiful in early chapters become scarce in the final chapters. This isnt unique to KM.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yes, that sort of has been the default classic. It certainly would be a candidate. It got a sequel too, so sky is the limit.
Not only did Rise of the Runelords get a sequel (Shattered Star), but there was also a third adventure path (Return of the Runelords), making it a hat trick. Plus, there's the little-known (and, to be fair, completely unofficial) Sentence of the Sinlord (affiliate link) from Legendary Games, which not only puts a different spin on the end of the Return of the Runelords (i.e. "what if the Runelord of Lust wasn't actually reformed?"), but adds an in-game option for changing to the PF2E rules and/or introducing other third-party magic systems! I have the adventure, and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to bring the Runelords saga to an epic conclusion!

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Now there’s a real sense that it’s being driven by huge numbers of newcomers, which is good overall, but are maybe a harder demographic to compete for. Newbies only know about D&D, and so they want D&D; that’s what they see on TV and Critical Role and other streams. In prior days, you got into the hobby via your friends or communities, where you might be recommended something else. I think the 2017-2022 media environment around D&D totally drowns out anything smaller.
Think of the early days when everyone was new to tabletop roleplaying games. D&D was (relatively) huge then, too, but new games developed and got players, and the same will happen now. D&D won't scratch the itch forever for all of these new players. The important thing is the hobby as a whole is healthy and growing, IMO. :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kickstarter's most popular category is games and the most popular category within that is RPGs.

There are a lot of new RPGs coming out in print.

TheSword

Legend
Has anyone received this, and if they have can they confirm how much of the new stuff from Owlcat was added into the based AP.

For instance was the Dwarf fortress in expanded in part 2? What about the Barbarians in the east and the Defaced Sisters? Any new maps? I’m really interested to know if the adaptions are just tokens or a genuine update.

Remove ads

Remove ads