• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kiss of Darkness: OOC: Part 1--A Hint of Shadow

Nonlethal Force

First Post
RA said:
(OOC: Checking inside the warehouses or just outside? Based on the house, Kinjon isn't able to follow the scent too easily outside due to the weathering of time (sadly, his Survival bonus is very low). It might be possible to find a scent outside, but remember that it takes 1 hour to search for a trail if you fail, so it could be a suspicious several hours of searching if he doesn't get a lucky roll, or else you might just miss it)

For Rhaka, it'll have to be outside unless the warehouses are open. Rhaka will not enter a place in which a lock had to be picked to gain entrance. Nor would she ask Kinjon to enter under such circumstances. I know that likely means a long, drawn out search and the possibility of missing it ... but ... at this point I remind everyone that we are depending upon a skill of an Animal Companion. That very fact shoud emphasize that we are largely out on a narrow limb to begin with.

Rystil Arden

First Post
True. If you had a dog, which has a better bonus on the Survival check, it would be easier.

The other group found it by tracking with their ranger. Since you don't have a Bard or anyone with random Knowledge skills, you're left with Kinjon and whatever divinations you can manage (Speak With Animals was a great choice). You could also try to get some info about the previous disappearances--the trail is certainly stale there, though.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I'm assuming a few things here ...

1. The presence of the door was actually confirmed? In RA's earlier post, it is merely stated that there are traces indicating that a door might be present, but the crates would have to be moved to access it. So I'm assuming that somewhere or another the door was actually proven to exist?

2. Baeleth and Kinjon see the boar before they have a chance of opening up at speaking to Rhaka. On this note, I'm keeping Rhaka from acting until otherwise noted - just because this is my understanding of the action. Should I be wrong, just let me know!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
I'm assuming a few things here ...

1. The presence of the door was actually confirmed? In RA's earlier post, it is merely stated that there are traces indicating that a door might be present, but the crates would have to be moved to access it. So I'm assuming that somewhere or another the door was actually proven to exist?

2. Baeleth and Kinjon see the boar before they have a chance of opening up at speaking to Rhaka. On this note, I'm keeping Rhaka from acting until otherwise noted - just because this is my understanding of the action. Should I be wrong, just let me know!
It was in the process of being confirmed, but it is pretty much confirmed as the attack happens. On the other hand, yes, Baeleth and Kinjon see the boar before they can get to the door. Baeleth would have to move to the door and then open it when he goes at initiative count 4. Oh, and if there's a TPK, I did ask if you guys were sure you wanted to split up the party ;)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, and if there's a TPK, I did ask if you guys were sure you wanted to split up the party ;)

If this happens ... the only complaint I'll have is that Kinjon stayed inside to fight. But, he is a badger and he's already gotten a taste of those things from a previous day. SO my complaint would not be with how the DM handled it. The complaint would be that Rhaka has to go off back to the woods without her companion and seek out another.

[Sblock=RA]To be completely honest ... I am significant serious debate as to how Rhaka would respond should Baeleth deide to waste the time and alert her. She's crap in combat now, and she knows it. She'll be better once wildshaping comes into play. She only has 0-level spells left. And to boot, she has all but told them time and time again that the warehouse was not a wise move. Granted she was saying that out of her ethics and not wisdom, but ...

Anyway, her love for Kinjon would pull her in. Her good would not want to see her companions die. But then again they have balked at her the whole way. Further more to act upon her goodness and help them from dying would violate her goodness from entering a place they weren't meant to enter. Her neutrality struggles between the lawful aspect of not breaking and entering but the chaotic aspect of helping in a time of danger.

Not looking for help here. More like explaining motivations at work. And telling you that you set up a nice little conundrum for Rhaka. I doubt it was intended, but it is a nice little conundrum.[/Sblock]

unleashed

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
If this happens ... the only complaint I'll have is that Kinjon stayed inside to fight. But, he is a badger and he's already gotten a taste of those things from a previous day. SO my complaint would not be with how the DM handled it. The complaint would be that Rhaka has to go off back to the woods without her companion and seek out another.
Well it's not like Kinjon could get out anyway, with the door the way it is. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads