Kits, Paragon Paths, Prestige Classes, and Themes; Oh My!

If 5e could only have one of these subsystems, which would you prefer?

• Kits (2e)

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Paragon Paths (4e)

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Prestige Classes (3e)

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Themes (4e)

Votes: 38 57.6%

Mokona

First Post
In the history of Dungeons & Dragons we have seem a few ways to customize your character class. Generally this was used to express niche concepts with mechanics or to narrowly focus a broad class in specializing on one aspect of that class.

Which method was your favorite (whether you want your choice to be assumed in core rules or as an optional add-on rules module)?

Kits - Chosen during character creation; optional on a character by character basis
Paragon Paths - Everyone gets a paragon path at the same level (11th)
Prestige Classes - Entry points varied from 5th level to 15th level; optional
Themes - Chosen during character creation; optional on a game by game basis

Post whether you want one of Kits/Paragon Paths/Prestige Classes/Themes to be "assumed in core rules" or if you prefer that it be built as an "optional add-on rules module"...

What kits have you used the most? What paragon paths have you used the most? What prestige classes have you used the most? What themes have you used the most? Or just which are your favorites in each?

My understanding of Kits versus Themes:

Kits generally had a "give and take" to them (though not always correctly balanced). New or improved abilities you gained from the kit were supposed to be offset by things you lost or got worse at. One player could take a kit and play with someone who hadn't.

Themes are additive. They add benefits without trying to hinder you elsewhere. Thus, once one character has a theme it makes the most sense if all characters have themes (if PC creation equality matters).

Yora

Legend
I am a big fan of Alternate Class Features from 3rd Edition, which are pretty much like kits, but because of the multiclassing rules, you don't have to decide which ones to use until you take the class level to which they apply.

Hassassin

First Post
I don't care if they are called themes or kits, but I'd like to see them be stackable and not 1/character.

Some fighters are just that. Some fighters are nobleborn. Some are from a noble family that has fallen into hard times, and have been forced to join a mercenary company dedicated to a deity who has a vendetta with the Orcish Pantheon.

Andor

First Post
I don't think any of these things need to be mutually exclusive, except possibly Paragon path vs prestige classes which were pretty much the same thing repackaged for a different edition.

You also missed things like origin or background packages.

This stuff belongs solidly in the optional module area, and need not be mutually exclusive.

Some GMs might turn off all the bells and whistles. Another might mandate origin packages, allow kits and permit a few select prestige classes with hefty rp prerequisites.

I say options are good. Why limit them?

soulcatcher78

First Post
I don't care if they are called themes or kits, but I'd like to see them be stackable and not 1/character.

Some fighters are just that. Some fighters are nobleborn. Some are from a noble family that has fallen into hard times, and have been forced to join a mercenary company dedicated to a deity who has a vendetta with the Orcish Pantheon.

I can support this type of option as long as the "cost" for the theme is reasonable.

Noble family gives you a postitive adjustment when dealing with others of equal station (call it courtly manners, etc). Family falling on hard times might negate that (bad rep for whatever caused the fall?) but you still carry yourself like a noble and get a leadership/morale inspiring bonus. Vendetta against Orcs gives an attack bonus but negative social modifier (just can't keep from insulting them and starting a fight, even if your companions want to parley).

I like themes as I see them as fluff making a difference to game mechanics. If they go with themes (*crosses fingers*) I hope they inculde some guidelines on creating your own.

Mokona

First Post
I don't think any of these things need to be mutually exclusive, except possibly Paragon path vs prestige classes which were pretty much the same thing repackaged for a different edition.
I've seen a number of comments on Monte's poll that those options are redundant so I formatted to the poll this way to clearly see the "best" mechanic (based on popularity).

Me personally? I agree that they're not mutually exclusive per se. I'd like to see one of the options in the core rules at launch. Others can come later.

I prefer prestige classes to paragon paths. Prestige classes are more versatile and were available sooner (i.e. at earlier character levels).

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'd really rather have archetypes a la Pathfinder, but Themes come closest to this ideal - to avoid power creep, you're swapping out certain abilities for abilities that better reflect your character idea.

I say bring them all on.

As for Kits vs. Themes, Kits should be more like a starting package of options for a character with some advantages and disadvantages. As they were what I remembered of Kits, before they got ridiculous.

keterys

First Post
Themes or Kits for me.

Paragon Paths are fine, sure, whatever. Take it or leave it, don't care.

I grew to really dislike Prestige Classes, so I'd just as soon drop them. There are some things (like multiclass casting) that didn't work without them, but I'd just as soon have multiclassing fixed then.

Remove ads