Kobold Paladin of Bahamut - Pick+Shield vs Heavy Pick

Phototoxin

Explorer
I think this is a healthy discussion to have, although DMs are not always realistic about their gameplay. It's healthy because it's worth exploring what knowledge a marked monster has, since, in many cases, you want the monster to violate the mark (so it misses and is punished), and what the monster knows about the mark governs that decision. However, many DMs rightfully try to run combat quickly and make snap (and sometimes unpondered) decisions about what a marked monster will do.

We tend to run it (in mine and other DMs games) that things incl creatures know if they are marked, especially with magical or divine ones - they are like a compulsions. The only time I tend to 'violate' marks is if a creature is reeeeely dumb/unaware (like swarm) or really angry (Thugg smash shiny warrior!RAWR!)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
We tend to run it (in mine and other DMs games) that things incl creatures know if they are marked, especially with magical or divine ones - they are like a compulsions. The only time I tend to 'violate' marks is if a creature is reeeeely dumb/unaware (like swarm) or really angry (Thugg smash shiny warrior!RAWR!)

If mark violations are rare, then you probably want defence, since it implies that you will be attacked a lot, so you probably want as many of them to miss you as possible. Pick Expertise and WP in Serrated Pick will help with your damage.

Ferghis

First Post
What Nemesis Destiny said. Don't bother pumping feats into violation punishments much (or at all) either. If you have good marking capacity, and marks don't tend to get violated, then bulk up on defenses, HP and surges. Also, to buff your defenses even further, consider multiclassing to Warlock and then spending a feat on Walker in Gloom (from Arcane Power). It may not help every round (and will not help against burst/blast attacks), but it'll give you an edge.

Remove ads