TSR Kobold Press Deep Magic Kickstsr

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Many other US based rpg companies manage to work with European distributors, thereby lowering shipping costs, but more importantly, avoiding import tax and related fees. Just saying.

I work in international supply chain.

They aren’t avoiding import taxes and fees. Just because YOU don’t get hit with them as an end consumer.

Someone is paying them, whether the distributor, or the original creators who have to discount their cost to the distribution to offset the import duties/taxes/fees.

That said, hit me up @Marc Radle if the Kobold wants help/advice on working out that kind of stuff.

They aren’t avoiding import taxes and fees. Just because YOU don’t get hit with them as an end consumer.
I avoid them. I avoid paying VAT of the "service" that shipping and handling is, I avoid paying VAT on the "service" of taxing me.
I don't work in international shipping. But as a consumer, I don't want to pay more in various forms of taxes and shipping than I do for the product. No drama.
And all I'm saying is other US companies (many smaller than Kobolds) manage.

Salthorae

Back a PDF copy if you want to Support them but not the taxes of the country you live in then.

Pushing a company to avoid YOU paying taxes on their goods when you buy it and import into your country is just costing that company money.

They probably would make more anyway on the unit if you bought the PDF and you would avoid VAT.

Win-win.

EDIT: just because smaller companies do it and it costs them money doesn’t mean it’s a good or sustainable business model in the KickStarter concept.

Back a PDF copy if you want to Support them but not the taxes of the country you live in then.

Pushing a company to avoid YOU paying taxes on their goods when you buy it and import into your country is just costing that company money.

EDIT: just because smaller companies do it and it costs them money doesn’t mean it’s a good or sustainable business model in the KickStarter concept.
I don't want to pay unnecessary taxes. I postulate the wild claim most people don't.

And I'm not "pushing" anyone. I'm informing a company about what's keeping me from becoming their customer.

I'm pretty sure smaller companies are as uninterested in business models that costs them money as larger companies are.

Salthorae

I don't want to pay unnecessary taxes. I postulate the wild claim most people don't.

And I'm not "pushing" anyone. I'm informing a company about what's keeping me from becoming their customer.

I'm pretty sure smaller companies are as uninterested in business models that costs them money as larger companies are.

By telling them you won't buy their product unless they find a way for you to avoid paying your VAT, you are pushing them. Of course you are. Whether your individual push makes any change to the company plan/strategy or not, it's still a push.

Customer's perceptions of businesses are super relevant in the modern era with social media's outsized impact (good and bad) on a brand. If 10,000 people told them the same thing you're saying, it might push them to do it just to save reputation in the public sphere, even at a loss/cost to themselves.

It doesn't make it right for them to do so necessarily just so you can avoid your taxes. Unnecessary or not they are levied by whatever country you live in, so your problem is with them and the tax, not Kobold and their product.

Yes, small companies are as uninterested in models that cost them money too.

Some big BUTs though: they are also more desperate for every little bit of revenue that can help drag up their top line so that they look better for loans and investors. They also have much less volume to negotiate shipping/handling/etc with the companies that provide those services, so the duties/taxes impact their bottom line more than a large company. Probably most importantly, many/most small companies also don't have people on staff who have the knowledge about international freight to advise them properly on what the true costs will end up being to them, so they do it and are surprised when they don't make money on an international sale.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Folks - This is about a kickstarter project, not who should eat what shipping charges for which customers. I am pretty sure the general state of taxation and shipping policy are beyond the scope of this thread.

Salthorae

Woohoo, Raise Dead variants are unlocked.

Let's get some sweet Infernal Magic now to go along with Descent!

Marc Radle

Legend
2907cf85adc50095fd31e47e6f560a07_original.jpg

Check out the latest update:

New Spells!
Though this Deep Magic book will be compiling our previous Deep Magic books, it also includes over 100 new spells! Our designers spent long hours in the kobold warrens toiling away with arcane powers we can’t even name! Scales crackling with arcane energy and knowledge, designer Jeff Lee gave us insight into some of the new spells he’s created for your game ...

Learn more here:
Update 5: New Spells! · Deep Magic for 5th Edition: A Tome of New Spells & Arcana

Eubani

Legend
Unfortunately being in Australia this will cost me more in shipping than the $75 I would pay for the book. I also doubt I would see it on a bookshelf in a store in Australia. Kobold Press makes a good product but I am finding it harder and harder to justify the cost. With many kick starters these days I am paying $150 - $200 for a $50 - $60 book which lately is causing me to pass on many books I would honestly want to add to my collection. To put it bluntly it is too expensive to deal with American companies regardless of the reason or excuse.

Before anyone comments I want the business to lose out and suck up the cost, I believe Kobold's make great products for which I want them to profit from. The problem is that the added cost by the time it gets to me is so great it impacts upon the ability to purchase it at all. I don't know what the answer is be it a local distribitor or a local print on demand I just don't know but when the delivery, customs, taxes, etc is greater than the cost of the product that makes it a painful decision on the customers part and this is an issue that Australian gamers face all the time paying as much if not more in extra costs than the product itself and the products not making it on to store shelves here.

Last edited:

Marc Radle

Legend
Totally understood! Overseas shipping costs are a huge issue for companies and there's no easy answer. The Kobolds are definitely exploring options though! Waiting for the book to hit retail and then buying through places like Amazon might be a viable, cost effective option though?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases