• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold Quarterly: Issue 1

rowport

First Post
Hiya! I just noticed Wolfgang's brief mention in another thread about the paper subscriptions coming soon-- are those detials listed anywhere? When they are available, will that include back-issues also (I would guess yes, if they are Print on Demand mags)? I am definitely intrigued, but much prefer printed text! Any info is appreciated...

Erekose13

Explorer
rowport said:
Hiya! I just noticed Wolfgang's brief mention in another thread about the paper subscriptions coming soon-- are those detials listed anywhere? When they are available, will that include back-issues also (I would guess yes, if they are Print on Demand mags)? I am definitely intrigued, but much prefer printed text! Any info is appreciated...

Here is the ad copy:
KQ said:
Sure, we love our PDF, but paper copies of Kobold Quarterly are
also available as single issues or by subscription. Our scribes are standing by.

Back Issues
Each single issue is $6 plus shipping. Shipping is $3 for the US, $4 for Canada, and $6 for
Europe. Quantities are extremely limited, and when they are gone, that’s it.
Please send the required amount by PayPal or check and indicate which issue and
format you would like. If you want a single PDF back issue, please do not include shipping.

Paper + PDF Subscription
All subscribers to the paper edition automatically get the PDF version for free. One-year
subscriptions are $36 per year in the US, $40 in Canada, and $56 everywhere else. To
subscribe, send the required amount by PayPal or check to koboldquarterly@gmail.com, and
be sure to include your shipping address.

PDF-only
You save 33% off the cover price by subscribing to the PDF edition: just $16 per year!

Monkey King

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
Well, it's only been out about an hour and a half. They don't become back issues until they're, say, three days old...

Yep, there's that, and (despite my best efforts with the lash), my kobold scribes are all worn out from the launch.

You should see single issues for sale on Paizo.com and on wolfgangbaur.com in the next couple days, though.

The paper+PDF subscription pricing is actually in the fine print of the first issue: $36 for US, $40 for Canada, $56 everywhere else. I'll post a subscriptions page on wolfgangbaur.com very soon, probably tomorrow. If you'd like to be sure you get one of the paper copies (and I'm thinking I might have underordered), please simply PayPal it and mention its a paper+PDF sub in the notes field.

Going to collapse in a nice dark mine now. :D

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Just finished reading it. Excellent first issue - well worth the $4!

The Mona interview is probably my favorite part. It's long, and filled with great stuff like this excerpt below (which also gets me really psyched to purchase XtRCG next month). He's talking about Mordenkainen, but it also gives excellent insight into why Eric is such a well-regarded game designer and all-around cool guy.

As part of my effort to understand Greyhawk and what Gygax was trying to do with it before he was ousted, I read his novels. In Artifact of Evil there’s a section in the mindset of Mordenkainen. Mordenkainen is sitting there thinking about how Iuz is doing this, and the druids of the cabal of Heirophants are doing this, and they’re all racing him for the parts of this evil artifact. He’s thinking “Now why in the world would all of these other powers want to be going after the same thing that I’m going after?” And the chapter ends “Oh, it must be because they are jealous of me.” That basically solidified the picture for me: Mordenkainen is highly manipulative, highly intelligent, and he’s all about hubris. He thinks he understands how the universe works, and the concept of balance, and so he’s going to put his thumb on the scales. That conforms to his personal idea of how the universe works, but would it conform to everybody’s? It wouldn’t. He would be an antagonist more than a protagonist, which is good because the player characters are the protagonists.

rowport

First Post
Monkey King said:
Yep, there's that, and (despite my best efforts with the lash), my kobold scribes are all worn out from the launch.

You should see single issues for sale on Paizo.com and on wolfgangbaur.com in the next couple days, though.

The paper+PDF subscription pricing is actually in the fine print of the first issue: $36 for US, $40 for Canada, $56 everywhere else. I'll post a subscriptions page on wolfgangbaur.com very soon, probably tomorrow. If you'd like to be sure you get one of the paper copies (and I'm thinking I might have underordered), please simply PayPal it and mention its a paper+PDF sub in the notes field.

Going to collapse in a nice dark mine now. :D
DONE! Thanks for offering the paper copies, Wolfgang, for us technophobes who prefer to read that way!

Glyfair

Explorer
RichGreen said:
Got mine too! I've only read the excellent Erik Mona interview...
Yes, we get an interesting glimpse at why a certain Greyhawk personality will be important to Expedition to Castle Greyhawk.

I thought it was great and well worth the subscription price! At first, I opened it up and went, "Huh, nothing on kobolds, just derro." Then I read that article. It was good. Then I read the Princes of Hell. The ink devils are perfect for something down the road that I wanted. I hit the Mona interview and realized that I was looking at a cool, scrappy little mag.

Remove ads